The Walking Dead Season 7! Part 2 Sunday February 12th 2017!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Feb 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I wish that CGI tiger mauled Carl instead.:laugh:

2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Make the tiger the star of the show. Each week it can eat a cast member.

ssmith3046, Vidiot, EVOLVIST and 3 others like this.
  3. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

:biglaugh:

4. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

I don't remember if the tiger met Carl, but she met Rick, so it doesn't surprise me Rick and his kneeling son weren't attacked.

5. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Yes, I just was referencing the starting point. But with the likes of Game of Thrones now about $10 million per episode based on press accounts, I think many would argue that if Walking Dead is even costing $7 million per episode, it's not showing up in the quality of the end product.

6. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

She did

7. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

I was hoping maybe someone would "jump the tiger"....:wiggle:

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Vinyl cost $10 million an episode, and the quality did not show up in the end product. High production costs do not always equal quality -- it just means they had a lot of above-the-line expenses, location expenses, large sets, etc. Hey, Tomorrowland, Lone Ranger, and John Carter each cost over $150 million.

9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

You'd figure he would have gunned that Tiger straight at Negan but....no let's take out some anonymous extras instead, season 7 was a train wreck of epic stupidity.

10. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I think she assumed Negan would be the one to open the casket and she'd be a zombie and bite him before he knew what had happened.

11. But even then you're trusting 'Hollywood' accounting, which IMO is questionable at best.

12. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

But the question I have is what's the reason Neagn would have for "shipping" Sasha in a coffin in the first place? It's just plain silly.

13. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

For spectacle. "Who will take Sasha's place in this coffin!"

Lewisboogie likes this.
  14. But the increase in budget was because Frank also wanted to tell more intricate/cerebral/dramatic stories, yes? Of course there would be action and FX, but interweaving storylines and character study is Frank's thing.

In other words, remember the "leaked" script for Season 2 Episode 1? That would have been killer!

Still, as for Season 2, I think they managed to ride Frank's coat tails just fine. It was at Season 3, however, when they ran out of Frank's steam and the show began to suffer. It's been suffering every since.

But since we're talking artistic integrity vs. money, boy, Breaking Bad, Mad Men and now Better Call Saul sure have been able to thrive, despite money constraints. Didn't Mad Men actually tale money from Breaking Bad's budget because the Mad Men actors demanded more loot?

15. spewey

spewey Senior Member

[​IMG]

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I haven't read all the documents that were filed as part of the lawsuit, so I don't know for sure what Darabont's intentions were. My observation is that this was a case of AMC wanting to assert control and not let the showrunner dictate how the show was being run and how much money was being spent. They had already had quite a bit of that from Matt Weiner on Mad Men and Vince Gilligan on Breaking Bad, but because those were shows AMC co-owned with other studios, they didn't completely control the production funding. On Walking Dead, they owned 100% of the show, so they felt that they should have 100% of the say on how the day-to-day operations were being done. And that included cutting the budget.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/custom/Documents/ESQ/AMC letter.pdf

In general, it's the action scenes that cost money, not "cerebral" scenes at all. At the rate characters are killed off in Walking Dead, I think the actors should be careful as to who asks for more money, because there's always a risk they'll just kill you off and replace you with a similar character that does essentially the same thing.

That will help reduce the budget for sure.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    Shawn likes this.
  17. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

Indeed. Just think of all the money they'd save in cgi Purina Tiger Chow!!

Vidiot likes this.
  18. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

What about the licensing fees they'd have to pay to Disney?

19. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Negan offered her a ride in the front of truck but she WANTED to go in the coffin AND ASKED TO................and now we know why!!!!!

His original plan was to roll up in the truck with Sasha as regular passengers............and the coffin in the back was simply to scare everyone and send a message that someone's getting killed and put in it.

I reckon he was probably planning on making her choose someone.

Hawkeye likes this.
  20. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

Thanks. Now that you mention it that does ring a bell. That makes a little more sense then. I've recently changed TV providers and I no longer have a dvr so I can't go back and re-watch for clarification.

Lewisboogie and Linger63 like this.
  21. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

So the best way not to get killed by Negan is to kill some of his people first? Carl and Sasha both attack his compound, kill some people and Negan lets them live and kills someone else. Rosita even shoots a gun at him and he lets her live. Rick promises that he will kill him and he lets him live.

Really, what sort of message is that? If you behave and do as he tells you then you have more chance of getting killed that if you kill his people and try to kill him?

22. And those other two shows you mentioned were perfect with their creators control. Two of the best television shows ever. WD has become a second rate hack show.

23. balzac

balzac Senior Member

It's pretty clear based on the extant information (including some pretty intricate and if nothing else interesting detail in those lawsuit deposition transcripts) that Darabont simply wanted to make a less DUMB version of the show.

It's not like Darabont was trying to do something mind-blowingly weird or different; he wasn't trying to make "Legion" or something. He simply was going a little more for story and character and a little less of playing to the demographic of fan who buys "If Daryl Dies, We Riot" t-shirts at Hot Topic and who think Chris Hardwick is awesome, etc.

It's likely that, in the short term (meaning, let's say Season 3 and 4), the show would have seen MUCH better critical notices and probably *slightly* lower ratings under Darabont. But the upside would have been that the show wouldn't have likely headed towards where it landed this season under Gimple, when all the pop culture zeitgeist status in the world eventually isn't enough to make up for POOR showrunning.

That's all the "artistic" side of the Darabont lawsuit.

The financial side is a whole other ball of wax, also quite interesting. To some degree, based on what I remember, Darabont was essentially simply calling AMC out for the classic "Hollywood Accounting" where they were trying to contend the show didn't make any money, despite "Walking Dead" being the highest rated show for season after season and Dead merchandise appearing at every big box retailer, Hot Topic, truck stop convenience store, and so on.

Mazzy and Shawn like this.
  24. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

LOL.........I have NO IDEA what the best way not to get killed by Negan is.

All I know is that he liked/respected Sasha and didn't want to kill HER.............also confirmed by the actors themselves on Talking Dead later that night.

Surely just killing ANYONE at Alexandria is going to "send a message" isn't it?

Anyhow.........he WAS about to kill Carl wasn't he!!!!

And why simply kill Rick when he so obviously enjoys tormenting him?........which in turn.....is US!!!!

Lewisboogie likes this.
  25. Look who's flying United now.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.