The Walking Dead Season 8

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Aggie87, Oct 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I'm not sure it was even there. Rick's been known to hallucinate from time to time.

2. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Seriously? All the lives sacrificed to obtain that weapons cache, and a petty squabble along with an unbelievably ill-aimed explosives bag toss literally allows everything to go up in smoke.

Unfathomable pinheadery.

3. Yeah, I was outside smoking on the balcony and watching that part through the window. I opened the door and asked my wife, "Wife, what the hell just happened?" after Rick threw the satchel. She woke up and said, "What?" I looked over and my son was sleeping on the couch. My daughter had already went to her room. I'm thinking, Did Rick just throw that satchel at the jeep and it just blew up because of that? Hahaha!

Otherwise, yeah, the episode was a lot tighter.

jriems likes this.
  4. Lownote30

They didn't know the jeep was leaking fuel. The fuel sparked and caught fire which blew up the bag.

5. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

But Daryl walked right by the leak.

beat_truck likes this.
  6. Lownote30

It wasn't ignited, though, and I don't think that was the first thing on his mind at that moment.

7. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Let me know when Negan gets the bat/axe/bullet or tossed to a zombie hoard.

8. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

As soon as I saw the leaking fuel, I said to my wife, "The truck's gonna blow up." It's a convention that's as old as the hills - show a fuel leak on or near a vehicle, and it's going to blow up at some point. I'm sure there have been scenes in movies and TV when the vehicle hasn't exploded, but I bet the percentage is very low.

9. Lownote30

Agreed. I knew very well that thing was gonna blow up. I didn't expect Daryl and Rick to have a fight, and Rick throw the bag of explosives into the truck, though.

10. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I don't think anyone expected that, nor should they have (i.e., unfathomable pinheadery). :righton:

11. Lownote30

Agreed. Unexpected, and childish, but people are starting to disagree in the group. Also, Daryl was held captive by the enemy and has a personal vendetta that Rick wouldn't be able to understand completely. I definitely think it was stupid for them to fight about it, though. No one should fight a guy who hallucinates as much as Rick. "Hey look! A helicopter!"

Higlander and jriems like this.
  12. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Season 9 spoilers...

Rick reacts to Michonne's death:

[​IMG]

Rick captured by Negan:

[​IMG]

13. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Yeah, I totally get Daryl's chomping at the bit, and perhaps he and Rick arguing about it. But Daryl's smart enough to see to it that "the plan" get's followed through to completion, or he should be, since everyone's supposed to be on board with "the plan." So due to his tussle with Rick, they now don't have the arms - which, I'm sure, were part of "the plan." And at the end of it all, neither of them seem to be too upset that they just royally screwed a major part of "the plan." None of it makes any sense.

I wonder if we'll ever find out what "the plan" actually is. Nevermind...I'm sure we won't.

Shawn likes this.
  14. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

"Crapped out"? Is that something people actually say? Sorry, but outside of the internet, I've never heard that term used to connote folks choosing to no longer watch a TV show. Just a little odd, to me at least.

15. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Perhaps it's just a mis-stating of "tapped out." I've often thought of tapping out of my WD viewing.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  16. notesofachord

Why do people waste an hour of their Sunday night entertainment on something they find bad and painful to watch? Masochism? I don't get it.

If you no longer like the show, why not choose something else? We're certainly not starved for entertainment options in 2017.

Lownote30 likes this.
  17. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Maybe the best episode so far, but that isn't saying a whole lot. And while I think the show has declined over the past couple of years, I keep watching, hoping it may recapture some of the lustre of the glory years...

18. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

:D:D:D:D:D:D
    crap out,
    1. Also called seven out. (in the game of craps) to throw a 7 rather than make one's point.
    2. Slang. to abandon a project, activity, etc., because of fear, cowardice, exhaustion, loss of enthusiasm, etc.
    I was trying that phrase out to see how it sounded....:sigh:

EVOLVIST and jriems like this.
  19. Higlander

Well in my case, it seems to be gaining some traction and getting better.
    I spent several years watching it, and need to see what happens.
    Frustration at story choices in something I used to find very good to great, hoping it will come back.
    Otherwise nothing better to do.

beat_truck likes this.
  20. notesofachord

I certainly don't expect The Walking Dead to be great art. Rather, I just see it as cheap entertainment. On that level, it works.

So, basically, those of you that hate the show now - let me get this straight:

When they were running away from walkers in the forests of Georgia = show was great
    Arrived in Virginia/Alexandria = show sucks

That about right?

For me, it's the opposite. I had little interest in a zombie show, to be honest. I find the whole pop culture obsession with zombies to be overdone. When the show became more about the politics of groups/communities surviving each other, rather than walkers, it became much more interesting to me.

21. Higlander

I did not see the show as just cheap entertainment at first. Maybe at times, but it tended to explore the characters and their breaking points and what they would do to survive and how they would interact in this scenario, and how they changed in reaction the the world they now were in.

Alexandria was fine to me, Negan was fine to me, but Not killing Negan when they had the chance at beginning of this season, seemed hard to explain, in any way that made sense overall.
    To me, only this season kinda sucks a good bit. I liked it all up till the end of season 7.

beat_truck likes this.
  22. notesofachord

I think the complexity and back-story we got with Negan in the trailer with Gabriel was well worth keeping him alive. The Saviors are a much less interesting group without Negan around pulling the strings. I would've been disappointed had Negan had bit it in that first episode.

Lownote30 likes this.
  23. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

24. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

That would have been a pretty good episode if they had edited out any scene with Rick, Darryl or Eugene in it. Those scenes were painful.

25. The writing and direction was a lot tighter during the first several seasons IMO. Those got me hooked (although I need very little prodding to watch a zombie show), and I now cringe at its overall sloppiness but hope that it can get better. If they're gonna write/direct it this poorly, I'm at least going to have fun at its expense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.