The Walking Dead Season 8

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Aggie87, Oct 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. balzac

balzac Senior Member

One of the few *slightly interesting* bits in the episode was indeed Gavin showing more willingness to try to deescalate the situation, which indeed would do him no favors with Negan.

2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I feel like the writers and producers of this show are deliberately going out of their way to purposely insult their audience, the debut was laughingly awful in a bad way. From the grade school zombie makeup, the CGI zombies what was that? were they running that program on a 1991 PC? need way more power....as for Negan, c'mon they had how many guns aimed right at them? One more episode to turn this wreck around or I'm outta here, last season was brutal and I'll be damned if I go thru that again.

Rock-C-Art likes this.
  3. Frank205

Frank205 Forum Resident

Very disappointed have to say getting bit boring, need negan to die soon.

Rock-C-Art and macuzr like this.
  4. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Hello. Hi! This is seriously the worst show in the history of television. The effects are worse than Sharknado, and the acting. Man, the acting is terrible! I mean I am just bigly disappointed!

Wait... I almost fell into the trap again! I love this show.

Purplefowler likes this.
  5. The only think that would have made it work would have been seeing Wired Al as a Walker.

6. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I certainly don't expect it to have the same writing/editing/directing as one of the best shows in history such as Breaking Bad or Mad Men. I'm not expecting great art when I watch the show.

7. I'm not either. But considering the viewership and the amount of revenue that this show generates, I'd at least expect better writing on it than, say, Gilligan's Island.

8. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

TV is storytelling. If the story lacks logic,.....

Rufus McDufus, beat_truck and Mazzy like this.
  9. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

The thing that I find ridiculous is that they know that all it takes is a little smearing of the zombie special sauce
    and your safe. How many people have died mindlessly from the group since this revelation.
    You would think at this point everyone carries a bottle of the secret sauce for just such a emergency.

10. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Oh, come on. It's not that bad. Predictable? Yes. Overly melodramatic at times? Definitely. A load of fun? For sure.

I mean, complaining about Rick's war speech? C'mon. He has always used cliched lines and whatnot. What did you expect - the Gettysburg Address? Negan's "s***in' pants" line is exactly what you would expect him to say. He's always been juvenile and arrogant when dealing with people.

11. Higlander

We are talking about the Seasons Opening Episode. Not the series in it's Entirety.
    There were several things that logically did not make sense. When an audience (even a sizable chunk of it) stops thinking the story makes sense, it loses it's entertainment value to many.
    Some people need things to at least appear to make logical sense.
    The overall show of course requires suspension of belief, but individual moments should still be logical to some degree.

12. Higlander

"Suspension of belief" is required to accept the overall "World" the story takes place in.
    Individual moments or illogical choices in this world, are simply mediocre story telling devices.

Rock-C-Art and beat_truck like this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I enjoy the WD but, it seems we have to work hard at it lately...

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

they were showing Negan their stuff and what's to come...

15. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

it's pretty bad. not that i expected it to be better, but man it just makes less and less sense now.

16. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I find the characters getting more cartoonish all the time. Like when Gregory gave his little speech about Hilltop being in with Negan. The way he stood there with his chest puffed out isn't believeable to me. That was suppose to be serious? It looked like something out of a 70s saturday morning cartoon or action show. Same as the endless ammunition. I know there's still people that adore this show & think it's great fun, but it's like a masterclass on how to make a really dumbed down TV show. I honestly did start season 8 firmly committed to not saying anything negative anymore about this show. I lasted almost a day.

17. So where’s the friggen baby ?

18. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I agree, the show is virtually beyond redemption. The awful writing, the terrible FX, the lazy acting (did anyone really believe any character in 8-1?), all are results of this:

Robert Kirkman, Gale Anne Hurd, Glen Mazzara and David Alpert follow Frank Darabont in suing over the blockbuster zombie series, and potential damages could reach $1 billion.

'Walking Dead' Producers Claim Massive AMC Profits Scam in New Lawsuit

None of these guys are interested in providing AMC with quality material. What we saw in 8-1 is a result of people just phoning it in.

jriems and Rufus McDufus like this.
  19. beat_truck

beat_truck Forum Resident

I've watched the show since the beginning. At first, I was blown away at how good it was. The first season, especially the first episode, was great. Better than the majority of the zombie movies out there. I've tried to continue to like it, but every season that's gone by I've liked it less and less as the quality has gradually gone down. Now, for all of the reasons others have mentioned the premier was pretty much a complete turd fest. I hate to give up on it, but if the quality going forward is going to be like the season premier, I may be done.

20. Oh, well, there you go! If Kirkman isn't shaking hands with AMC, though he may be bound by contract, eventually contracts expire. Even if the contract is for another 10 years, you can't make anybody give a damn. If they fire Kirkman for phoning it in, I'm sure there's a payout that AMC isn't willing to give...on top of the amount he's suing for!

My first response is I don't think they're phoning it in, yet I thought about the flash-forwards of this episode. It's not giving anything away (no spoilers), because obviously I don't how much the show will deviate from the comic book; still, those flash-forwards look a lot like where the comic is now, meaning there might be an end in sight for the show. They could be writing up an ending. Believe me, fans of the comic know I've given nothing away. All of the hows, the whos, the whens, and the whats mean nothing, and even if the flash-forwards have nothing to do with where the comic is now, it still gives me pause to the future of the show.

That wasn't even why I started writing. I think there's a couple of facts here:

1.) Scott Gimple is not a real television writer, or at least not one of any salt. Simply look at his resume.
    2.) Greg Nicotero is not a real director. This seems like a budget thing, and not so much giving the guy a shot at directing. We all want to rise above our station, but sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't.
    3.) I think most of the nitpicking, the bellyaching, the chiding and deriding the show is mostly because people see what the show could have been - all of that potential - and it's been for naught for the majority of its run.

We love to hate it and hate to love it.

GentleSenator and Veech like this.
  21. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I miss the Governor. At least he had layers.

Negan is a one-dimensional joke. Great buildup to his reveal, but I don’t see this guy as presented having such a hold over all these people. He just leans and makes wisecracks. Jeffrey Dean Morgan is way above this role.

Rock-C-Art, Gumboo and Witchy Woman like this.
  22. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I think we're seeing the beginning of the end. Of course everyone knows about these lawsuits.. the writers, the actors, the FX people, the producers, and we're seeing a lack of engagement and energy in all areas. I might continue watching just to see if they can pull a rabbit out of the hat but it will be with a jaundiced eye.

23. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I agree. I've never read the comic version, but my understanding is that he is a lot more complex than what is being portrayed in the show. Unless I slept through something, we haven't had any kind of a back story of his character. He's merely a bully with a bunch of "clever" wisecracks and a scary looking baseball bat.

Rock-C-Art and beat_truck like this.
  24. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I remember the window scene from the comics, but I can't remember the full context. In the comic they have someone who can make new ammo for them. The show touched on this plot point but not to any great extent.

25. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Because he doesn't want to ruin another collar?

I was wondering where Gabriel is finding additional outfits because you'd think that he'd rather wear something a bit more comfortable and practical. We already know him as Father Gabriel, so it's not like we'd forget that he was a priest if he didn't wear the clothes.

GentleSenator likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.