The Walking Dead Season 8

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Aggie87, Oct 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

1. The bucket spilled away from Negan (See? That was easy.)
    2. Simon sounded more Canadian to me. Dwight sounds southern. That didn't change.
    3. The new characters (Andy Warhol to you, more like Martha Stewart to me) added an element of where to go after this whole Saviors thing. They're supposed to be weird. Everyone is in a different way at this point.
    4. Rick wasn't too far away from the convoy because he has one of their radios and knew exactly where they'd be, and he saw Negan's face as they were coming. Rick is a trained police officer and has had driving courses for sure. He could probably out drive anyone else on the show for that reason. He saw the opportunity and took it.

It wasn't the worst episode to me. What I saw was Rick actually making Negan show some fear. Him ending up in a car with Jadis is a worse situation for Negan than being chased by Rick. She's got plans for him, and he'll probably suffer.

Ethan B, Rubber65 and MikeInFla like this.
  2. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I am sure Jadis has plans. I imagine Negan will stage some unlikely escape, though, and we will be back to the status quo again.

I did think the episode was an improvement on the season so far.

beat_truck and freditor like this.
  3. balzac

balzac Senior Member

The last couple episodes were a bit better (or watchable anyway) simply due to moving things a long and actually having things happen.

The Georgie stuff is clearly setting something else up, so a new direction before too long could be good. I'm apprehensive about it because it takes good writers to not just make another new community some variation on Woodbury or Alexandria or Terminus, etc.

Speaking of writers, you have to have skilled writers when you're writing a cat-and-mouse thing where the "good guy" and the "bad guy" can't die yet. Unfortunately, the Rick-Negan confrontation (which should be a HUGE deal since they've only come face-to-face a few times) was silly and comical. As the YouTube recap a few posts back pointed out, it was rife with classic stall tactics, including Rick reloading his gun during the one moment he had a clean shot, and of course then going nuts with his gun when he couldn't see Negan. Rick "gets" that Lucille is a huge deal to Negan, yet he doesn't just try to immediately destroy it. If Rick was trying to F with Negan as they were implying (rather than just going straight for a kill), then he could have done all sorts of creative things with Lucille. Instead, he sets it on fire and uses it set zombies loose, all the while announcing *everything* to Negan. Even if he wasn't (or couldn't) break Lucille in half easily, he should have been *telling* Negan that's what he was doing.

I'm also bummed that it seems pretty likely one if not both of Simon and Dwight are probably going to eat it soon, because they've been two of the only compelling characters for quite some time. I'm hoping they get away alive (regardless of which community they end up in), because Simon is entertaining, and Dwight is interesting.

4. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

I have to say that the past 3 episodes, overall, were pretty solid. They all left me wanting more at the end of the episode which is what I missed with TWD. Looking back, My interest started to slip when the group discovered Alexandria. I found the episodes disjointed, they didn't flow from episode to episode when compared to the first 4 seasons. Many have said that when the series hit the second half of season 4, when the group left the prison and wandered off on their own, that's when the momentum of the series started slowing down. Now it looks like, fingers crossed, that the momentum has slowly picked up again. The actors seem to have gotten a firm grip on their characters, especially Negan. I always found that Jeffrey Dean Morgan is a solid actor, now he needs to pick it up and act, show more human emotion and not just present himself as a 2 dimensional caricature. I've always wanted to see Rick and Negan actually have a dialogue scene together where they actually converse and not just throw threats each other's way. The conversation they had about Carl was really good. I'd like to see more of that. I'm longing for a good conversation scene the same as Rick had with the governor in season 3 when they were "negotiating". The scene between Simon and Dwight was bang on. I loved it when Rick mentioned the garbage people slaughter incident to Negan and he had no idea that it took place. He was lied to by his right hand man. That's going to be interesting when those two face off with each other.

beat_truck, Ethan B and Lownote30 like this.
  5. freditor

freditor Forum Resident

I told my wife that when Rick and Negan were fighting, a wall of walkers were going to come in and Negan will escape. I was wrong... a wall of walkers - ON FIRE - came in to aid and abet. :D

Shawn likes this.
  6. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

I refer to these characters as "filler" (so much filler in this season and the previous one to begin with). The war between Rick & Co. and the Saviors should of been over by now.

7. Lownote30

I looked at them as the beginning of the next chapter. A sort of cross fade.

8. I wonder why Maggie didn't tell that nice threesome to get the hell away while they we're all standing on the road, instead of bringing them back to The Hilltop, putting these innocent women in danger. Maggie made that direct call.

Now Maggie is all intriqued about windmills and aqueducts, when she doesn't even know if The Hilltop will be there tomorrow.

Notice also the absence of Jesus at The Hilltop this episode. What makes his absense even more glaring, is that of course they didn't want to pay the actor, but for a longhair to miss out on a vinyl party just doesn't ring true.

I'll tell you what also doesn't ring true. No pot smoking in the ass crack of the apocalypse? Pfft! I don't buy it.

Gumboo and Craig like this.
  9. C4rl

C4rl Forum Resident

I’m still watching this, mainly because I've already invested so much time in it from the beginning but I’m spending more and more time on my iPad whilst it’s on these days. It’s becoming ever more difficult to watch with each episode, Negan’s escape this week from Ricks AK-47’s full magazine at 100 yards :rolleyes: was yet another straw on the camels back :shake:

10. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

One of the worst episodes ever

Scotian likes this.
  11. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I watched the Kingpin show about Pablo Escobar on the History channel instead.
    I`ll just bingewatch The walking Dead someday.There are 3 episodes left this season.

12. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I think I made it 15 minutes & fell asleep. I woke up in time to see the last couple of minutes. That dead guy was still yelling at Morgan. He's a bit of a pain.

13. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

Another solid episode. Edge of the seat stuff and some poignant moments too.

EVOLVIST and Lownote30 like this.
  14. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Where were the guards?

15. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

I liked the way Maggie made some dumb decisions and then got told she was a good leader. Classic walking dead.

Oh, and the bit where Maggie's guys had 9 machine guns trained on Negan's guys (who were only about 10 meters away) but only managed to hit the ones unimportant to the story, that's not how that works.

Also, did Tara get shot with an arrow? I guess she will die of blood poisoning. Good, I hate her character.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    EVOLVIST likes this.
  16. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Dwight shot her

17. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Awful lighting and editing, to the point where you can't even always tell what's going on. I know they make REALLY BIG, CHEAP displays now, but I feel like my 50-inch trusty HD Plasma set can still usually give a good enough picture of what's going on, and I couldn't tell for sure on first glance that it *was* Tara, let alone who shot her (or with what).

They shoot this stuff in the dark, and then darken it even more.

And yes, Maggie being an *awful* leader only to be told how great of a job she's doing is classic Walking Dead as mentioned above. Not only is it a ridiculous observation, it's utterly unrealistic that these background characters just decide to give the main characters pep talks.

It's also classic Walking Dead to assume the viewers care about Tobin and Carol's relationship, which consisted of one or two episodes way back a few season ago in Alexandria where they arbitrarily decided Carl was shacking up with Tobin. It was clear way back then that they only reason they paired her up with the guy for five seconds is so she would have someone to desert when she took off. It was patently clear that their "relationship" was about as deep as Rosita and Spencer's.

*Now*, if they wanted to make it a real, actual plot point on this show to discuss the realistic, awkward politics of "casual" romantic pairings/relationships (not the sexual part so much, but how two people shack up more out of lack of any other options than being soul mates), that *could* be kind of interesting. I don't mind melodrama on this show, and it's sad that the not-that-great subplot a few seasons back with the triangle between Abrahama-Rosita-Sasha was still more interesting than what's going on how on the show.

And with this last episode, we also learn why they killed off Carl: They wanted a "Season 1" Carl type, so they removed old Carl, and replaced him with an idiotic kid who randomly an episode later decided *not* to believe what Morgan had already told him, and was convinced his brother's killer was among the 38 Saviors.

And also, why would Maggie possibly believe Negan (or any of his associates) would care about those 38 hostages?

Any why was Rick taking down the boards off the windows? So the babies can have "fresh air?" I think they can suffer through a few more days of stagnant air and humidity. And if they can't, how about instead of "unboarding" the window you're working on, just go to the next wall over where there's ALREADY an unboarded window you could open? I get it, Rick needs to be doing something for his and Michonne's epic turnip scene. Uggh.

Well, at least they haven't (yet) killed Simon and Dwight, two of the only moderately interesting characters on this show.

New All-Time Best-Worst Line Contender for this series: Michonne: "I saved you a turnip."

Scott222C likes this.
  18. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

New Carl should stay in the house.

MikeInFla and EVOLVIST like this.
  19. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Also, random trivia: For those who watched "Talking Dead", Alanna Masterson was correct and Chris Hardwick was wrong. There *isn't* a Tara action figure. There is a little statue sort of thing, but there's no Tara action figure in the same McFarlane figure line as the Dwight figure they showed.

20. Wow do people sleep soundly! A zombie comes tumbling down the stairs and no one wakes up?

21. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

Our cable froze at that point and I haven't been able to watch the rest of the episode. But why the hell didn't Dwight shoot Simon during the attack?. No one would have seen. There was so much going on.

22. Lownote30

My wife pointed out that flaw. I'd honestly rather get back to what Jadis is going to do with Negan, and also have Simon get confronted by Negan. Negan kills Simon, Jadis, or Rick, kills Negan (or at least takes him out of commission).

23. Lownote30

Because, if he missed, he'd be a dead man.

24. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

It he was behind him a lot with no one else around

Scotian likes this.
  25. Lownote30

Still, a big risk if he didn't succeed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.