The Walking Dead Season 8

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Aggie87, Oct 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Interestingly, logic is the issue, as stated quite well in the posts above. What are the characters motivations? They seem to change every episode. Major transgressions are forgiven, empty threats abound.
    Logic dies a horrible death over and over on this show.

I have only hate-watched a single show, Under The Dome, in my life. TWD might be on its way.

On a positive note, there were a few enjoyable episodes. The one that ended with Negan chewing out Rick over the walkie was intense and brutal. But, these episodes are few and far between.

A good friend said to me that he absolutely depises this "mid-season finale" garbage, as it destroys any flow the season could have, and I tend to agree.

And, as was said above, no FTWD for me. The showrunners had a blank check to write for S1, and they delivered a insultingly bad, moronic, time waste of a show. I simply can't go back.

Dan

2. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Then maybe a thread called "Why Is The Walking Dead Writing So Illogical?"

3. Lownote30

I don't like FTWD either, so I don't post in the threads on that show. I just do not understand why people continue to watch TWD if it's so terrible to them. It's easy to go do something else, and remember the seasons that were good. I've done that with several shows, and I don't need to get on the internet to say anything negative about them. I don't find that constructive.

4. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

"Why do all of the haters still watch the show?"

This question has been asked and answered so many times in this thread, it's ridiculous. You already know the answer, as it's been answered again and again and again - it's just that it's apparently never going to sink in.

5. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Fear took a very long time to find its legs, but the third season, particularly the second half of the third season, started getting pretty good.

6. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

are the same actors working this season? I didn't like the core group in seasons 1 & 2...

7. Lownote30

It hasn't been answered satisfactorily. I've seen excuses, but not good answers. I feel like people still watch it so they have something to complain about, when the more healthy thing to do would be to just stop watching it.

8. masswriter

I for one watch it in the hopes that it will get better. I haven't watched the last season, don't think I need to ...

Gumboo likes this.
  9. Or, we could discuss it in a thread called The Walking Dead Season 8.

I certainly don't hate the show and, while I feel the quality has gone way down, I still have fun watching it.

jriems likes this.
  10. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

You're not really supposed to like them

11. masswriter

Oh yeah? wow, I thought they had to be a likable family that the plebes can relate to, with their squabbles and flaws ... I didn't know they were villains.

12. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Season 3 featured all sorts of gray all over the place. Imho it was very interesting

13. I've thought about what @Lownote30 is saying, from time-to-time. I mean, really, if you're a person who feels the show can do little wrong, it must suck to come into this thread and read nothing but trash talk.

Like, I could make a statement that I believe, and perhaps some people will trash talk me because of it: "TWD is like the Syd Barrett of TV shows. Yeah, it's good enough to be interesting, but at it's core, it fundamentally sucks."

Well, that's the way I feel, so where should I express my sentiments, or should I even express them at all? I'm torn. Really, I am. I don't like raining on anyone's parade, and I certainly don't like to thread crap. More importantly, though, there's always the chance of someone coming in and saying how much they like the show, but instead of people bashing the show, they begin to bash the person who digs it. That's just wrong. I'm not saying that's happening here, but I've seen it before. In the Better Call Saul thread, it's like a circle jerk of high praise, and then one person came in and starting questioning things, and boom, everyone jumped on him, knives out. I was a "High Praise" member, but I started feeling bad for the person with dissenting opinions.

On the other hand, I asked a question a few posts back about Eugene's motivations. It was an honest question. Nobody bit. I thought it might start a genuine discussion; then again, perhaps there is no answer. So, yeah, I really don't know what to do.

Lownote30 likes this.
  14. Lownote30

I'll bite. Eugene was doing what he had to in order to stay alive. He said he made the bullet so Negan didn't kill Rosita, and expected to be killed. Instead, Negan took him. So, he kept himself alive by basically faking allegiance to The Saviors until the right moment when he could get out of the situation. He was already well into sabotaging the bullets when Daryl and Rosita took him. He wasn't done yet, so he escaped in order to finish it. Remember, The Saviors killed the guy he showed up with... Abraham. Until Eugene was captured, he was a scared cowardly guy who would do, or say anything to survive. The moment that he changed was when he took blame for making the bullet. He didn't want anything bad to happen to Rosita for something he did. It was his first selfless act on this show. He continued this by pretending to be in with The Saviors. The more Negan trusted him, the more damage he could do. It worked. He did deserve the punch in the face, though. He could have let Daryl and Rosita in on his plan, but didn't.

Dwight did some terrible things to Daryl, and even though he ended up really trying to help Rick's group, Daryl couldn't forgive him, but was at least kind enough to give him a car so he could go look for his wife. Daryl could have killed Dwight, but didn't.

As for Maggie, Jesus and Daryl talking about what Rick and Michonne did as wrong, I don't think their plan is to take out Rick. That would be insane, and I don't think Jesus would go for that. I think she was talking about killing Negan when the moment was right to show Rick and Michonne they were wrong.

Finally, I don't feel this show is perfect. I don't remember any show being perfect for that matter. I still like and watch TWD, though, because it's entertaining to me. As for bashing people, that seems to happen a LOT more often these days on this forum. I feel like Facebook is a better option for venting. Even more effective would be yelling at a wall. The internet is a bad place to read and express opinions. It keeps getting worse with each passing day as people have less and less meaningful in person contact with real people.

P.S. I have no problem with anyone who doesn't like this show. Just like with the Star Wars thread, the hate seems over the top to me. Unnecessary if you will. Opinions can be expressed more constructively than that in my opinion. Positive, or negative.

15. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Well, the reason I keep watching, even though I agree that the writing and the character continuity etc. has gone completely down the toilet, is that I find the original fundamental premise of this show so simple and yet so fascinating. It makes me think about how I would behave if I was a survivor after the apocalypse. If I'm going to defend this show, it's probably not way off base to think that during my survival attempt, I would certainly make plenty of unreasonable decisions, flip-flop my beliefs and be constantly grappling with what I should and should not do from day to day. As a result, I would hope I would learn as I go along what I need to do in order to protect loved ones and keep surviving. Moral beliefs would be perpetually put to the test. In that respect, I can usually force myself to overlook the absurdity of everything that occurs on this show! As far as genuine, unbelievable situations that occur, ie: nobody testing Eugene's manufactured bullets, that's just suspension of disbelief which MUST be exercised quite often if you plan on enjoying this, yes??

So, anyway, this is what I keep telling myself... :D I guess what I'm trying to say is at the end of the day, despite all its many and obvious flaws, there is something here that keeps me interested enough to keep tuning in.

16. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

First, I started watching this show because I'm a sucker for anything apocalyptic. Or post-apocalyptic. The Stand, The Road...name it. Remember the first season of The Walking Dead ? You know, when it was creative and a little edgey and didn't pander to the audience or seem like its scripts had been written 15 minutes before filming by writers who had never seen a previous episode? Remember the CDC episode ?

Well, things have changed...

Remember when you used to be able to get to the end of an episode without having that memory go through your head of Johnny Rotten sitting on the riser at the Cow Palace with that bemused/bewildered look on his face as he asks "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated? " Remember when you didn't feel like AMC was showing utter disdain for the show's audience with all its shifty little manipulations and insultingly poor writing ?

So why do I still watch ?

Eeney : There's a part of me that can still remember when this show's premise and promise weren't squandered by the ham-fisted dolts who have run the show into the ground and maybe I still hope it gets turned around...

Meeney: I still watch because it's illuminating to see how a network manipulates a hot property to maximize the take.

Miney : I still watch The Walking Dead for the same reason I still watch Plan 9 From Outer Space occasionally : I'm a connoiseur of crapulence.

Moe : Is anyone here repeatedly asking you that question ? Have you been appointed the arbiter of taste and opinion in this thread ? I offer a compromise : You don't question my motivations and I won't question your level of discernment. As has been noted, this isn't an appreciation thread so if the less than complimentary comments from long-term fans are making you crazy, make like Morgan and walk it off.

D.D.

17. Lownote30

I don't have to remember making it to the end of an episode, because I still do. I respectfully disagree with your assessment of how the show has gone. In order to get to the more enlightened posts about this show (positive and negative), I have to sift through a lot of bashing. It's not less than complimentary. It's flat out time wasting bashing. Things like saying the writing is insulting. You could just say it's bad in your opinion.

Honestly, what I say is just my opinion. It isn't fact. Neither is what you're saying.

I do remember the CDC episode, and the CGI explosion was terrible. Not a high point for TWD in my opinion.

18. But Johnny Rotten at Winterland. At least with the Sex Pistols :tiphat:

Kyhl likes this.
  19. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Fair enough. I have to admit I wasn't watching very closely. I just remember a long shot of Rick's hand gripping a large shard of glass while dripping with a lot of blood. If they showed a gusher coming from Negan's neck, then yeah, that was just a really bad idea because a gash of that magnitude would likely be death-inducing like you said.

20. SteveCooks

SteveCooks Senior Member

I've just seen Fear of the walking dead begins with where the last walking dead season ended. Morgan at the dumping place. I had seen the first FTWD 2 seasons but I didn't know there were some caracters from TWD.
    Was it the case with season 3 ?

21. This is the first cross over connection.

Very interesting. Supposed good guys vs good guys ......

22. SteveCooks

SteveCooks Senior Member

The wife pushed me to end twd show and I don't know which idea I can use use to convince her to watch FTWD that she has always considered as a junk or at best as an afterthought.

23. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

I liked the final episode; finally Rick takes down Negan. Unfortunately all it takes are 1 or 2 devoted followers to help him escape and bring him back. Not a good idea to keep him alive, IMO. I was hoping Eugene would intentionally mess up the buckets but I didn’t think it would actually happen.

The beachside group came through—yea! They even brought egg crates full of eggs and bread that looked like it came straight from the bakery. Ok, that was a stretch. :rolleyes:

24. Well for me it now bests the original WD

25. SteveCooks

SteveCooks Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.