The Walking Dead Season 8

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Aggie87, Oct 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Many times I had wondered if Eugene was faking it (insert Simon & Garfunkle tune here), but if he was faking, the show certainly didn't telegraph it. They had Daryl captured in there, and Eugene was being prick-ish toward him. He could have easily let Daryl know just to cool out, and whatever happened, he had a plan to aid Rick's group. That would have been the most obvious thing to do, unless the show really wanted us to continue questioning Eugene along the way. But, by questioning him, with no hints to the positive, viewers began to hate him. On the other hand, Eugene didn't turn Dwight in; other than that, it looked as if Eugene was full-on Savior. He didn't even try to aid Dwight. Didn't he give up Sasha, too?

Maybe I'm missing the subtext, though. Sure, I see the selfless act, and how much he cares for Rosita (Peeping Tom, and all that), and that yes Negan was the one who brought him in. Still, he took to The Saviors like a duck to water. There was that whole drone contraption he attempted to make, as well. If it was for the benefit of Rick's group, he could have told Dwight right there.

Instead, it all looks as if Eugene decided at the last minute, even recently being a turd to Father Gabriel on his sick bed. I guess one has to believe the conceit, from the very beginning, that Eugene had a master plan.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Lownote30 likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

aHAHAHAHa!

3. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Right you are, sir! :righton:

D.D.

4. Because I went to that show. They were terrible but it was fun

Diamond Dog likes this.
  5. I don't recall you ever talking about details of a given episode that you like though, all I see is you coming in here and complaining about other posters. Perhaps if you wrote about what's occurring in an episode that you find intelligent, engaging, good acting, etc. people could join in.

beat_truck likes this.
  6. Diamond Dog

The writing is bad. So bad it's insulting. The reason that I brought up the CDC episode was because to me, it was likely the series' finest hour. Mature and thoughtful writing combined with solid acting that showed what the series could have been. Real drama, emotion, atmosphere and tension. It was inspired. In comparison, the last two seasons have been laughably scripted and the acting has been getting more and more two-dimensional but in all fairness, the cast haven't been getting much to work with. The CGI has always been sketchy with obviously low-end backgrounds, 18-foot long deer and the like. And what the hell is with Gabriel's "butthole vision" ? Really ? It's the laughing stock of the internet. Are they trying to stop people from taking the show seriously ?

And you don't see me whinging about how much time it takes to sift through the fawning posts to get to the really good bashing.

D.D.

7. Diamond Dog

If bands ever start getting tombstones, the marker for the Pistols absolutely MUST use that line as an epitaph. Le mot juste. :uhhuh:

D.D.

Mazzy likes this.
  8. Michael

so far we've seen no snow on the Walking Dead but a lot of Snowflakes...
    this is getting ridiculous...what's with all the waterworks? are the writers taking sensitivity classes?

Scott222C, Rufus McDufus and Mazzy like this.
  9. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I think I the writers wrote themselves into a corner and used Eugene’s sudden change of heart to get out of it. A better writing team would have shown Eugene plotting from the beginning and used that to generate suspense about his possible discovery. They could have even involved Father Gabriel in his plan, generating even more possible plot lines about a blind person attempting to do something to defeat Negan, instead of his insipid weeping.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Kyhl and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  10. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

If I may...

I'll be honest. I tapped out about 2 seasons ago. I didn't like it for much longer than that. But when I did stop, it was liberating. Like breaking up with a girlfriend you haven't gotten along with for years.

People who don't like it but still watch do so because...

They used to like it a lot and desperately hope it gets back to its former glory

They hate watch it. It's fun seeing a former great (good) show turn bad and group complain about it. You have something in common with those that don't like it anymore but still watch. It's fun to vent.

They watch because it's habit. This show... is on at this time... on this day. And it's (or it was) a cultural phenomenon. And everyone else watches it. So why not?

Like I said, I got out right around the Glenn under the dumpster debacle. And I still come here to read how much people think it sucks. It's fun to read. It's funny. Funny enough, anyway, to keep me coming back.

jriems, Kyhl and Scott222C like this.
  11. Michael

the show has more good than bad but the bad is really BAD! LOL...

12. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I have to hand it to you. I've been reading what you think about it for years. You're one loyal watcher... I'll give you that. But seeing that even you are beginning to turn (see what I did there?) made me smile.

Diamond Dog, Michael and EVOLVIST like this.
  13. Michael

yes you can smile! (TURN) good one! LOL...I do on occasion get frustrated with the bull***t...lately this peace and luv attitude has just gone to far...BUT, I will truck on till the end....my wife feels exactly as I do, but with a caveat...she doesn't care how it goes she just loves the show...

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  14. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Did Lauren (Maggie) sign on with another show??

Wonder if they will kill her off.

15. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Worst writing of the season in the "Maggie/Daryl/Jesus done turned bad" scene marred an otherwise decent season finale. But man, was that scene was Godawful or what.

16. spewey

spewey Senior Member

Brilliant! :D:D:D

17. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Really no idea but I did see this:

Following weeks of speculation, it looks like The Walking Dead could be about to lose longtime star Lauren Cohan. Yep, we think it's getting safer to say that Maggie is a dead woman walking. Just days after the series' showrunner, Scott Gimple, confirmed that Lauren's season nine contract was still being negotiated, TVLine is reporting that Cohan has signed up for a new show. Heading in a completely different direction to the zombie apocalypse, Cohan has reportedly signed on for an upcoming comedy pilot from ABC.

The Bill Lawrence-produced sitcom, Whiskey Cavalier, is set to star Cohan and Scandal's Scott Foley in the two lead roles.

18. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Her character has become a bit of a spare wheel.

19. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Wait, you are suggesting that someone should sit through 29 bad episodes (2 1/2 seasons of FTWD) to wait for the show to get good? :yikes:

That is dedication.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  20. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Yeah, it's going to be a boring few months waiting for posts from next season.
    I do plan to record next season to see if the new staff can make something watchable. I really do want to watch a good story from TWD. It has been a really long time since they told a good story.

21. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

But they wouldn't, so I don't. I enjoy all the episodes. Yes, they have flaws at times, but once I was able to overlook that the gasoline hasn't gone bad, anything is possible. Believable? Not really. I mean it's a zombie apocalypse. That in itself isn't very realistic. I like when Rick's group kick butt, and I like when they make it through tough situations. Things like Rick biting a guy's neck out to save Carl was something unexpected, yet it shows where Rick's head is at that moment. With the situation they're in, I imagine people would change psychologically from day to day.

22. Lownote30

I mean, like, that's just your opinion, man.

23. Lownote30

Actually, I hate unicorns. Especially pink ones, so I'll stick with the theme of the forum recently and start a thread about hating pink unicorns.

24. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Whatever works for you. :righton:

Lownote30 likes this.
  25. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

What do you currently consider good about the show? Even my few remaining favorite cast members have become shells of their previous incarnations.

For me at least she show seemed to lose steam after the Terminus reveal. It's been steadily downhill ever since Glenn's dumpster death.

beat_truck, Kyhl, Scott222C and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.