The Walking Dead - Season 9

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by masswriter, Jul 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I thought the episode was OK, but what I couldn't figure out was when Maggie went to
    kill Negan, why did she have a crowbar instead of a gun? Or did I miss something?

2. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

It was pretty obvious what was going to happen. Even my girlfriend figured it out.

3. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Because she wanted to bash his head in as he had done to Glenn.

I read where they even went to the trouble to make sure the crowbar was the same length as “Lucille”.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  4. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I figured it out once we saw Anne on the walkie talkie. I didn’t guess it before then, but I tend to be pretty slow about such things. :p

KAJ1971 likes this.
  5. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

I was way more affected by Glenn's dumpster "death" and the later Negan killings of Glenn and Abraham.

Even not knowing what was going to happen at the end of the episode, I was strangely nonchalant about Rick's impending death.

I am glad I did not get worked up about it. While I admit I did not see coming the way the episode ended, I thought it was hyped to fool the audience. Did not appreciate that. The idea that they are going to milk this for another 10 years is not what I wanted to hear.

I hope this does not turn into a "Buffy, Zombie Slayer" with Judith to attract Millenials. Whoever is in charge of her, would not let a 10 year old with a gun bigger than her out there alone in the woods. That was not credible, even in the TWD universe.

Question: what was an "A" and a "B"? Rick was a "B"?

As the episode progressed I hoped that the end would have been Rick finding his wife and son (and Judith too, as this was all in his mind) for a happy final family reunion. I really did. But I did like the cameos we got.

Hall Cat likes this.
  6. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

We probably won't know until the first movie comes out

7. videoman

videoman Senior Member

10 year old girls killing zombies attracts millennials?

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  8. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I was guessing that was the reason, and for Maggie that would make sense, but I still felt if
    she really wanted him dead, she should have had a gun, walked into the jail cell, and shot him
    in the head and put an end to it. But, hopefully she'll still find a satisfying way to put him down.

9. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

If she's ever seen again

10. videoman

videoman Senior Member

As Maggie is no longer a character on the show, I’m sensing she missed that opportunity

11. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

Lol. Yes.

12. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I could see what they were trying to do with the episode, and I can understand why they felt Rick/Andrew Lincoln deserved a whole episode as a send-off, but it didn't convince. The show is just not what it used to be, even though I have kept watching regardless, if only to see how long my former drama student Laruen Cohan survived! There was a time when I felt I could build a whole teaching module around the idea of TWD and moral philosophy, but that was a long time ago.

I didn't see the ending-ending coming. Or the ending of the beginning of the beginning of the ending, or whatever Andrew Lincoln called it. But it massively undercut the impact of Rick's apparent act of self-sacrifice. In the end, though, this is not about art, it's about commerce, as revealed by the breathless press release detailing the five gazillion movies and spin-offs and web things and and and... And I really shouldn't have expected anything better.

13. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Well, in the way the Buffy show apparently became a cultural thing, well beyond the show's quality and content seemed to merit.

Hey, I am a 58 yo male, what do I know? My point is that I don't want the show to center on a 10 year old girl anymore than the show followed 16-17 yo roller-skating Carl teenage angst.

Gumboo likes this.
  14. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Uh...The Walking Dead's audience probably already has a lot of millennial viewers. You realize that most millennials are in their young 20s to mid 30s now, right?

And either way, ain't it a little early to assume that Judith is going to be the center of the universe of TWD now that Carl is dead and Rick is....somewhere? Especially since we've only seen her during the epilog of the last episode and in some of the scenes of upcoming episodes.

videoman likes this.
  15. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

So...Andrew Lincoln left the show to, among other things, spend more time with his family, but according to Gimple, there will be specials and movies and other TV shows? Am I missing something?

I think the man lost his mind somewhere under the dumpster.

Dan

16. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

This is actually a good time for viewers 'hate' watching and beginning to get bored by the show to consider that last episode the Series Finale and cut bait at this point as it's a perfect end point and seems like the show is sort of rebooting with a 10-ish year jump (judging by Judiths age) and introducing new characters.

17. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Without giving away details do the comics deal with a Walking Dead timeline with Judith around 10 or has the show blown by the comic timeline?

18. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

Yup. The night scenes suck.

beat_truck, progrocker and The Hud like this.
  19. The show is on a very different trajectory. Very different storylines and direction.

noname74 likes this.
  20. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Five years from now they will reboot TWD and do a straight-from-the-comics version. Save on writers.

21. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

They're too dark on my display.

22. Nobody is in charge of Judith in this world now.

23. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I'd be in for that as long as Scott Gimple isn't involved in any way. I blame Gimple for taking a fun show and steering it way off course.

24. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

So so episode.

Next week is mid-season finale.

Just realized the violin guy is the baker from fantastic beasts. thought he looked familiar.

25. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I thought the previous week's episode nose-dived in quality. Tonight's was better, but I'm still unclear on how TWD is going to survive in a Rickless/Maggieless universe. There's quite a few unanswered questions, as to what happened to Maggie and why Michonne seemed weird about entering the Hilltop. No send-off for Maggie. Some last-minute negotiations went south, I guess?

It feels like an entirely different show now.

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.