The Walking Dead - Season 9

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by masswriter, Jul 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

So no one else noticed that a zombie talked at the end???

2. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

They kind of...whispered.;)

I liked the last episode. There is a lot of set-up.

jerico likes this.
  3. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

How they kept teasing Rick's death in the previous episode only to have him repeatedly narrowly escape death became a recurring cringe-worthy gag. They had every chance to give him a true hero's exit with the bridge blowout. The only thing that blew up was the writers' credibility.

With the time jump, this show has horribly jumped the shark. There's truly no logical need or reason for it. Like Dexter, this show can become a masterclass on the importance of having a good storyline and script, and what can go wrong when you bring in new show runners.

Hard to believe this is the same show with that amazing first season– and the second was great, and the 3rd and 4th were good. I'm officially done with the show.

misterdecibel likes this.
  4. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Which one?

5. jerico

jerico Forum Resident

There were 2, I think. One said 'don't let them get away' or something similar.

Linger63 likes this.
  6. jerico

jerico Forum Resident

Ha, touche!

genesim likes this.
  7. Did Rick die already?

8. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

I thought last weeks episode was the worst ever
    Then I saw this weeks, and had to change my opinion to only second worse.
    Dull and boring.

I heard next week Michone and Carol get together and form a PTA, exciting stuff.

9. James F. Hassan

James F. Hassan Forum Resident

I read somewhere can't remember that the series is going to the movies and Rick will be back for that. Like Star Trek I guess that's why they didn't kill Rick.

10. Fabs

Fabs Member

Like you said, strong premise but quickly fell flat. Sad really.

nightstand68 likes this.
  11. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Yeah, the wrap-up to Rick's final storyline didn't work out too well for me. But let's see how they handle the next major storyline, which will begin in earnest in the next episode. Based on the previews i've seen it looks very promising, I hope they don't blow it . . .

12. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

*sigh.* On one hand I am glad that Rick ain't dead but on the other - what's the point...

I really cared for the show back when there was this core group. As I call it - the old guard. Rick, Daryl, Glenn, Carl, Lori, Shane, Carol, Andrea, Dale (for whom I cared infinitely more than for, say, Hershel), T Dog (for whom I cared much more than for Sasha who got even her separate cameo in "rick farewell" episode), Sophia. I really loved watching the adventures of this particular group, and the members of original Atlanta group still stand out for me.

There's of course secondary old guard, which is for me Michonne, Greene family, Tyreese (wish he stuck around instead of Sasha), but Michonne stands out to me the most as a truly interesting character. A separate shout out goes out to Morgan, who appeared later, but I remembered him well since season 1 and also cared for his story. There's also Rosita, Abraham, and Eugene.

Anyway, watching this small band of people trying to survive was immensely interesting. It was about survival, constant fight for existence. Any entrance to an unknon building could result in a catastrophe, someone could die easily and unexpectedly. You never knew who would bite (well, not the bullet, but) the bite, and that is why it was so much fun. Things turned to me really sour with relocation to Virginia. With more and more people around, the group stopped being special. Because earlier on we were shown - there are VERY few other people remaining and even if there were any, they would usuallybe goddamn awful, be it the dwellers of Terminus, governor's henchmen, or some other human waste like that band of people - Claimers - who almost raped Carl. With the move to Virginia, people stopped being an exclusivity. And the shift happened - from survival to guerilla warfare for dominance in the region - yawn. What was even worse, the original guard kept dying as the war was going on.

Who do we have left now? Of the original old guard - Darryl, Carol... that's it for the original Atlanta group. Of the later waves but still veterans - Michonne, Tara (always hated her and never understood how her fighting on governor's side was basically disregarded... one of the least likeable characters), Maggie (also gone for the rest of the season) aaand that's it. The rest of the crowd is season 5 and onwards, which is after the move to Virginia. So, basically, nobody is left of the people for whom I still care. Just Darryl, Carol, and Michonne.

I will watch the season to the end, that's fine. But I'm afraid, that's the end of the road for me too. No characters to root for, remaining shift from survival of a small band of people to the big picture concept where zombies are just backdrop and not a ubiquitous power to be reckoned with (heck, they treat them like herds to be guided now), no evident looming finale about the cure, and it seems they will take their sweet time explaining who the helicopter folk are and where they are coming from... Guess I'd better rewatch season 1. I've seen all episodes ones so far, I think I'd like to get into the atmosphere of the 1st one again.

beat_truck likes this.
  13. With that time jump now they'll never meet up with the cast of Fear the Walking Dead.

I really wish there was a garbage bin that Rick could have crawled under that was on the bridge. Now that would have been an ending.

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

boring, boring, boring...that's my opinion.

15. Michael

sick of them but I have to finish it!

16. Michael

nope he's on highateus...

17. Michael

yes, but in the previews they showed something new was going on with them...thinking?

18. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

I watch it because my girlfriend does now. Most of the characters are unmemorable. I just want to see them eaten. Carol, Michonne, Negan, that's about it. The rest I can do without. The sooner the annoying Darryl gets eaten the better. Looks like the annoying Carrrrl is being replaced by the equally annoying Judith. He won't, but one can hope. I still read the comic which I really enjoy, but the tv show is just average. Don't care about a cure, hope there isn't one.

19. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Can somebody tell me the strategy behind making a movie based on a TV show that peaked years ago? If they did this at the end of season 4 I'd be all for it. If they somehow manage to get Darabont to write and direct I guess it could be good. I'm fairly sure that won't happen though.

And don't get me started on the whispering zombies. So stupid....

Stillhouse likes this.
  20. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

They're not really zombies.

21. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I don't think this is an appreciation thread. People can state their opinion for or against anytime they want to.

Scott222C likes this.
  22. Propinquity

23. Propinquity

Yes. If this were a fanboy thread, I wouldn't have posted.

It is interesting to watch a show that was once good entertainment fall apart. There are lessons to be learned here. Are we supposed to sit by quietly and pretend that season 9 is on par with season 1?

24. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Nah I think this has gone way past valuable criticism. This is just out and out trashing that has really come close to trolling.

If anyone wants to discuss the show they are met with just garbage posts that show obvious deficiency of even watching the show let alone trying to appreciate what the creators wanted.

I don't think I ever once say they couldn't. I stated my opinion as well.

I mean seriously. Viewership hasn't sustained its peak of episode 1....so? How is this valid?

Show isn't over yet. The peak can be around the corner. It is still possible. I choose to concentrate on the story told, not what I think it should be. I prefer critical peak anyway.

For example, Daryls guilt with Ricks death. He has become another person and had to face letting go...like reverting back to his old ways (like Han Solo). I love time jumps and the last episodes were very compelling to me. After all they been through it absolutely makes sense.

Who has commented....of course not. No one and I mean no one even knows because like where Daryl spoke to Rick about the group being asked to follow...why would this group of fans here understand that irony if they refuse to only look back?

The writers just may have the last laugh because greatness is often not found in just the moment of the fanboy followers (referring to fanboy early seasons) that stand with crossed arms only expecting one story in one way...with no exceptions.

You are right about one thing. It isn't an appreciation thread. It isn't even about Walking Dead. It isn't even about viewers of the Walking Dead SEASON 9.

I say if you aren't watching the show you don't belong...but that is just my opinion.

25. Michael

is this the last season?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.