The Wallflowers - Bringing Down the Horse is being released on vinyl May 13, 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Usky, Mar 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Usky

Usky Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have the first Floratone CD which features Matt Chamberlain, Bill Frisell, Tucker Martine and Lee Townsend. This morning I decided to look up which other artists' albums Matt Chamberlain has performance credits on. Among many others, I noticed The Wallflowers - Bringing Down the Horse which he played on was released May 1996, so Googled for any potential 20th anniversary info about it being released on vinyl and alas came across this Modern Vinyl site announcement posted yesterday (March 14, 2016). The 2xLP set is scheduled for May 13th. I'm in Canada so I'll have to acquire from another source, but here is the direct link to Bull Moose for pre-orders.

I'm also hoping the Dave Matthews band will do the same (a 20th anniversary first time on vinyl release) for Crash (also released in 96).

niblips likes this.
  2. niblips

niblips Active Member

this is great news. I hope there are extras included... there is room on 2LPs for more than just the album tracks.

3. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

Great news indeed, I've been waiting for this release for quite a few years -I can easily buy at least two copies of it (Now all we need is an album of brand new music by Jakob Dylan). Would also like to remind everyone of the earlier thread commemorating 20 years of Bringing down the horse: The Wallflowers - Bringing Down The Horse turns 20 this year! ยป

Time flies -seems like just yesterday but the album has aged quite well in my opinion, at least the lead single, two decades later, still gets rotation on several radio stations around the world.

4. Vinyldadto3

Vinyldadto3 Well-Known Member

Any pressing information on this release?

5. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

I saw this in a store tonight and wanted it but left it. It didn't feel like two LPs but I wasn't checking for that. Twenty years now. Where'd they go?

6. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

Damn, 20 years already?

To put it in perspective: 20 years before BDTH came out, the new releases included Songs in the Key of Life, Presence and both Tom Petty and Warren Zevon's debut albums. Sure feels like those 20 years were a much bigger shift than the past 20, no?

DHamilton likes this.
  7. vinylfilmaholic

vinylfilmaholic Forum Resident

Have my copy on the way from Bull Moose. Will give it a spin and let you guys know how it sounds (unless someone else beats me to it, which in that case please do).

Thesmellofvinyl likes this.
  8. vinylfilmaholic

vinylfilmaholic Forum Resident

Alright guys and gals, I've spun almost half of the album and aside from the terribly lazy packaging (2 LPs in a single jacket and a basic insert with all info and pics from the CD booklet, along with standard scuffy paper sleeves) and being pressed at United (bleeeech!!), the overall product is worth it. Maybe because I've never listened to the CD on an amazing sound system (car and portable CD players over the last 20 years, and yes I listened to this album at 8-9 years of age), but there's a real solid warmth and oomph to the recording that I've never heard before. I'm happy that at least care was put into mastering this for vinyl. I'm not sure what the source they used was but it sounds good to these ears.

Thesmellofvinyl likes this.
  9. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I'll get this on vinyl. Listening to it now on CD - a hell of an album in all respects. Love the call and response between Jakob and the band much like Clapton and Whitlock on the Layla album.

10. Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons ___________________

Despite MASTERED BY CAPITOL and pressed at United, I thought this was incredibly well done. By the first chorus of One Headlight, I was really impressed with the sound on this one. I thought the sibilance got a touch high on the inner groove tracks, but it wasn't anything terrible. Great pressing at a reasonable price.

11. Vinyldadto3

Do we know if it's analogue or digital?

12. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Most likely as with almost all standard re-issues a digital transfer
    My old 96 compact disc sounds great, so unless they managed to totally screw it up, the 2x12 should sound great as well

13. Vinyldadto3

Yeah but if its digital what's really the point? Analogue would be the true sound if done that way in the studio.

14. Was it recorded and mixed all analog?

15. Vinyldadto3

I don't know, does anyone have pictures of the cover so we can so some research?

16. backdrifting.

backdrifting. Member

I've always loved this album, so I picked up a copy. I guess I was expecting a little more effort considering it has never been released on vinyl in 20 years! As an earlier poster said, 2 LPs, no gatefold, no additional artwork, or lyrics sheet (just a thin simple credit sheet with a few nice pics). The 2 LPs are in paper inner sleeves which I've replaced. The packaging sucks.

The sound is good, although I would assume digitally sourced. It's always been a great sounding recording, so it would have been rather hard to screw up. I can't really say that it sounds much better than the original cd. I've only listened to one play through though.

Anybody else have this? I'd be curious to know others opinions.

17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

CD sounds great.

c-eling likes this.
  18. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

hey! great news, I love that album,
    I don't know if its the picture, but that are not exactly the same colors of the cd artwork :/
    [​IMG]

19. NightHider

NightHider Forum Resident

Saw The Wallflowers open for Buckingham/McVie recently. A great, but short set and the current band really delivered on the hits!!

Any new opinions on how this vinyl release rates against the original CD? Thanks!!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  20. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

On sale on Amazon right now, $19. Thinking about picking it up...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.