The Waltons

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

I never watched when it was originally on. But have caught up with it in recent years. It was not too bad really. And Richard Thomas has aged pretty well.

Michael likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

a good representation of times long gone...

3. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Michael, you posted something I assume you deleted but I agree with what you wrote in some respects. If a really good transfer of The Waltons was done for blu-ray, I'd be mighty tempted. I used to think hi-def was kind of silly for old television shows, but I just got the new Outer Limits blu ray for season 1 and my mind is properly blown. It's never looked better, IMO, and only increased my appreciation of the show.

Michael likes this.
  4. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

The original version of the theme song was wonderful. I hated when they speeded it up in season 2.....

Season 1 Opening Closing Good Nights:

EdgardV, boyjohn and OldSoul like this.
  5. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident Thread Starter

I understand why they did it but I hated it when they softened up Olivia

6. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

The channel INSP was running The Waltons around dinner time in our area a couple of years ago and we watched the whole series. My recollection of the show from my childhood was that it was sappy like Little House On The Prairie. But actually watching the show, it isn't that way. It has some flaws - some of the kids are pretty stilted actors and the quality fell as time went on. There are some serious issues taken on, successfully in many cases. The moral backbone behind the story scenarios presented is quaint and antiquated and yet refreshing in our snark-filled world. I liked the show enough to eventually get the dvds (cheaply, second hand).

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    bmasters9, GodShifter and jason88cubs like this.
  7. Michael

it's still there...post#24 page 1...I could not believe the quality of Little House on BD...can only imagine how good the Waltons would look...I'd buy it in a heartbeat...

8. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I remember that pictorial vividly. I generally like my women au natural, but Judy should have broken out the scissors or Lady Schick before she posed for those photos.

Michael likes this.
  9. Michael

I vaguely remember the photos...

10. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

I looked through the credits, but didn't see any reference to the voice-over that represented John-boy, reminiscing later in life.

Was that voice-over part of the TV series or only in the movie? I really liked his voice.

panasoffkee likes this.
  11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Hamner's voice over was at the beginning and at the end of the episodes. Essentially, the "John-Boy" character was based after him, so it was the "John-Boy" character as an older man giving his thoughts about what had happened.

12. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

Yes. Was surprised it wasn't included in the video above (feinstei9415) and no mention in the credits.

You mentioned "Hamner." I'm assuming that is the voice-over artist's last name. Anyone know his first/full name?

Did they use that feature in both the movies and series?

13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Earl Hamner, Jr. He was the writer and producer of the show. I have no idea whether he did narration in the movies or even if he kept doing it for the entire series. I checked out around season 6 or 7.

EdgardV likes this.
  14. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

Any show that includes Merle Haggard in an episode is okay by me.

15. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

16. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Yep,the Waltons was the show back in the day,good clean family stuff-in other words the opposite of TV today.

17. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

The first seasons of both The Waltons and Little House are terrific, IMO. Both slowly decline as the years go on, despite still having good episode.

But that first year is gold.

GodShifter likes this.
  18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

All tv series slowly decline as the years go on. It’s just kind of a given.

Scopitone likes this.
  19. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan That's like your opinion, man!

I vaguely remember this opening - the return home with the radio. The credit of "Miss" Michael Learned is interesting. I wonder why it was titled that way?

20. feinstei9415

This was her first major role and she was unknown to the public. Since her first name is "Michael", the producers attached the "Miss" to her name for the first season until she became better known to the public at large....

jason88cubs and Scopitone like this.
  21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Essentially, to avoid gender confusion.

22. Michael

it just was a reflection of that time period in that area of the Country...it was real life.

musicfan37 likes this.
  23. Michael

have you seen LH on BD? fabulous!

Scopitone likes this.
  24. feinstei9415

Yep... Michael was considered (and probably still is) to be considered a male name...

25. Michael

well changing the John Boy actor wasn't good! LOL I guess Thomas wanted to move onto nothing...he should have stayed it would have made the show go out better...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.