The Waterboys 7 CD Fishermans Blues Box Set (October 2013 release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by noname74, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

I listen again to the noisy bootlegs. Poor quality cassette sound sounds better to me than this set... sorry.

2. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

Huh?? Explain.

3. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I bought a copy several weeks ago, and it still hasn't arrived. I wonder what's taking so long. Seriously, this is the longest anything I've ever ordered from an Amazon seller has taken, and the transit notice said it could arrive anywhere from 5/8 to 5/26?!?! :realmad:

4. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

Does anyone have DE CD2 and can compare sound quality with the Box? Thanks, still itching (a good sign!).

Grabrat likes this.
  5. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Yes that is the regular CD version I'm sure. It is unfortunately a bit more to get the version that includes an additional CD of covers and the original album on vinyl - more like $70. I suspect for most people though (especially those who already have the album on vinyl - I didn't) the standard CD version would be more than adequate, and $25 is a really great price.

In spite of the sonic imperfections I am still really, really enjoying my super deluxe box - can't imagine not having this. I bought a copy of the standard CD box for a friend, as a birthday present, and he also completely flipped out over it.

Hearing the box really reignited my interest in Mike Scott/the Waterboys, and caused me to check out the new LP MODERN BLUES which, though not quite at FISHERMAN'S BLUES heights, is a damn fine album...and that one also sounds fantastic, well recorded and mixed and mastered. I ended up picking up the Japanese CD edition which has 2 worthwhile bonus tracks, and then also picked up the vinyl version - 2 LPs, one with most of the album and a 2nd LP for the lengthy closing track on one side and on the other side as a bonus, an acoustic version of that track (which is NOT one of the bonus tracks on the Japanese CD...ie, if you're a completist, you need both the import CD and the vinyl edition).

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  6. VinyLen

VinyLen Forum Resident

The Box finally arrived today. Can't...stop...listening.

Wow, fantastic. Yes, some of the tracks are less than stellar in sound quality, but having them at all and in such a phenomenal collection is a mitzvah.

The box is proof of Mike Scott's genius. Not that any further proof is needed.

7. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Is everything from Disc 2 of the Collector's Edition included on the box?

8. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Songwise, yes. The differences are that the box has the full (25-minute!) version of Soon As I Get Home, while the bonus disc has a 12-minute edit. Plus, the versions of The Good Ship Sirius and Killing My Heart are longer too on the box.

9. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Thanks. The album proper sounds so inferior on the Collector's Edition when compared to the original CD that I'll probably give it to my brother. BTW, were all copies of the Collector's Edition from Holland?

10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

:thumbsup:

11. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I'm listening to the entire set again and have to say it's fantastic. I bit loud perhaps, but very listenable in my opinion. :cheers:

Koabac likes this.
  12. Jack o' the Shadows

Jack o' the Shadows Live and Dubious

Agreed. Though I don't listen to the whole thing very often, it's excellent, and I often find myself listening to a disc or two. In other news: I'm thinking about seeing the lads when they pass through Bergen in October. I saw them opening for Neil Young last year, and though a large part of the audience ignored them, and the amount of rain gave credit to their name, their show was simply amazing.

Koabac likes this.
  13. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I've skimmed through the discussions and I wouldn't understand why they wouldn't do this, but can someone confirm that "And A Bang On The Ear" and "World Party" are the full/extended versions first made available on the 2006 deluxe edition?

14. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes, they are the long versions.

15. InStepWithTheStars

Thanks! This shall be a fun Christmas.

16. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

How does the vinyl sound in the set?

17. dr.zoix

dr.zoix Forum Resident

This is easily the worstest box set ever, 7 cds that can be shortened to 2

18. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

nonsense

arthurprecarious likes this.
  19. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

This really is the worst reply ever...could be shortened to....I have no taste.

turnersmemo and manicpopthrill like this.
  20. dr.zoix

dr.zoix Forum Resident

Here's the good songs on this 6 cd set.
    Disc 1- 1,2,3,5,6,9,13,14
    Disc 2- 2,12
    Disc 3- 7,9,12
    Disc 4- 8,9,10,12
    Disc 5- 1,6,14
    Disc 6- 2,8,10,11,12,17,21,24

I bought this set based on what people said on this thread & sadly disappointed.
    I may have no taste, but this is still the WORSTEST BOX SET.

Pete Puma likes this.
  21. InStepWithTheStars

Yeah! A box set with ONLY 28 good tracks. I regret ordering mine now. In fact, I renounce my love of the Waterboys. I'm off to go burn my autographed Modern Blues print.

The box set wasn't looking to be a flawless compilation - it was literally everything the band recorded during the sessions. There were 121 tracks and 13 of them were picked for the finished album. There's bound to be some filler. It's not aiming to please everyone - it's a historical document.

And besides, there's plenty of compilation box sets by other artists that are far worser.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  22. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Worstest (!) trolling ever....

23. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

The best thing this board did for me was letting me know the 6-CD set existed. I got a new copy off Amazon for $30 and LOVE IT.

Sure, there's some stuff I don't need to hear again - solo punch-ins and things sung by people other than Mike Scott - but there is a ton of gold in that box.

VinyLen and arthurprecarious like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.