The Waterboys 7 CD Fishermans Blues Box Set (October 2013 release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by noname74, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Yes, I've had to learn to love Room to Roam, too, and I like it now. But it was still a big disappointment after the high of Fisherman's Blues. At the time it seemed like career sabotage, especially since World Party had just released a masterpiece with Goodbye Jumbo only a few months previously.

2. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Not to me. At the time I loved it. And then went to see them only to find they had reverted back to a rock and roll band. It was still a great show, but a transitional time for Mike.

3. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

If it ends up you think it's a bit too much consider the 2 disc "Collector's Edition" of Fisherman's Blues. The 2nd disc was thoughtfully put together and flows like a proper album - a very good one at that.

apileocole likes this.
  4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes Quincy, I have that also and I'm still thirsting for more!

5. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

Ha, I thought you probably did but wanted to be sure. I'm sitting on the fence waiting to see what it will be and how it'll be priced, but I'm thinking I'll likely dive in.

6. dirie

dirie Forum Resident

Quincy likes this.
  7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I had all the grey area stuff and I'm sooo pumped for this, even if there won't be much I haven't heard!

8. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

9. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Jeepers, Sordel. How do you keep on top of the amazon pricing madness? Thanks!

10. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Product Description
    7 CDs + 12 12' vinyls

11. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Ah, ty ... couldn't stop to read properly for fear of my wallet actually getting impatient, jumping out of my pocket and making its own decisions! :D

Edit: I wonder what's on the seventh disc. I guess we'll know soon enough.

12. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

"The low price of Amazon is eternal vigilance."

13. windfall

windfall Senior Member

:)

Did a quick google and this is the first mention of a vinyl version of the Fisherman's Box that I can see. I think you should have some kind of trophy for this one! Not 100% convinced it's real but ordered anyway. Nothing ventured and all that...

14. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

The only two options that I can see are that the offer price goes up steeply or Amazon cancels our orders completely. I was expecting to see the CD set to be twice its current price, although I can see how that price might be just about possible; the vinyl price, however, is giving you 12xVinyl for only £26, which is absurdly good value for a niche product.

This is just the sort of good news I "deserve" for "prudently" ordering the Miles Davis set yesterday (as I shall be explaining to my wife later). :angel:

15. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Ha ha. Between The Band, John Martyn, Miles mono and this, I have quite a lot of explaining to do...

16. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Either we've got eerily similar tastes or we could both use some serious counselling on how not to buy boxed sets.

Preferably before the Bob Dylan complete albums set comes up for order ... :help:

17. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Probably both. :) I'm resisting the Dylan. I have the SACD box and everything else on CD and quite a bit on vinyl. Then again, if it's crazy prices again, who knows...

18. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

19. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

20. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

That makes sense of the price then ... still, a very reasonable price for either package, I think.

That seventh CD reminds me of a similar disc that was included with the original This Mortal Coil boxed set. I couldn't afford that set at the time, and I'm not sure how useful it really would have been given my later buying habits (which included, for example, Tim Buckley & Roy Harper). In the case of The Waterboys it will very much depend on the tracklisting of that disc which I opt for.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  21. Arjan

Arjan Senior Member

Thanks for posting. The "deluxe" version is €144 on amazon.de

22. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

I'm glad the seventh disc is not a CD of songs recorded for Fisherman's Blues. That would have pissed me off.

manicpopthrill and Sordel like this.
  23. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Bearing in mind the context that I think this set is great value ... I'm a little disappointed that the booklet in the deluxe set is only 32 pages. Even given that this is not a superdeluxe presentation, that's going to feel flimsy, especially if it's 12x12, which seems very likely.

I wouldn't normally mention this, but I sometimes think that it's a bit of a hobby around here to come up with some unobtrusive fatal flaw in every release! ;)

24. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

And the "regular" 6CD set is only €24, which is even cheaper than Amazon.uk!

25. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

Amazingly generous pricing. I have so many orders coming from amazon.uk this fall you'd think Oregon reverted back to England. :laugh: I'm really looking forward to this as it should be fun to settle in and hang around these sessions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.