The Waterboys 7 CD Fishermans Blues Box Set (October 2013 release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by noname74, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I don't know my Waterboys history. Six discs seems like a lot of material to throw out. Did Scott never consider releasing a double album, or a second volume a year after the first, instead of a dozen years or whatever it was?

2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Well, for openers, there were a lot of cover songs recorded, lots of Dylan especially. I'm sure he didn't want to be perceived as a cover artists/band.
    There was a second cd issued some years later (one assumes there was some demand), and I don't think it was very well received. 5 or 6 cds of outtakes surfaced among collectors, and that started to stir things up.
    A few years ago, Mike put up a long chronology on the website of all the sessions that produced Fisherman's Blues--it seemed he was becoming more comfortable with looking back at the lp.
    The 2 cd deluxe edition was pretty well received, and I think that gave him the final 'kick' to release a box-type project.

3. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

4. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Inferior, compared to the original, unfortunately. I've got both, plus the lp.

Sandinista and apileocole like this.
  5. JohnB

JohnB Senior Member

6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I got an email from the Waterboys website that says that all of CD1 was recorded on the first day of sessions.

Purple Jim likes this.
  7. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Though it might be possible (and even close), the tracklisting of CD1 does not quite match the list of songs recorded at the first session. That Complete Sessions List log on the official Waterboys site is fascinating though.
    http://www.mikescottwaterboys.com/waterboys-discs.php?releaseid=5&releasepageid=19

MEMark likes this.
  8. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

When my wife heard the original album for the first time, she was outraged, finding that it was just one big copy of Dylan's sound and style. Let's just say that he inspired Mike a hell of a lot.

10. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

It's worth remembering, though, that at the time Fisherman's Blues came out the influence of Dylan on music in general was rather submerged, and Dylan's own reputation was (comparatively) low. The folk-rock sound of that album was a complete breath of fresh air in its day, which is one reason why it has become so enduring.

11. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

So very true. I'm pretty sure that's at least part of the reason I responded so positively to it at the time. I had not really appreciated anything remotely folk-rock prior to this album (hey, I was only 19).

athensdrums likes this.
  12. Love the "Fisherman's Blues" album ever since buying the UK import vinyl a few months ahead of the Canadian release.
    Really looking forward to this boxed set!

In other Water-news....Mike's North American tour started tonight in Toronto! Waiting for reviews....

13. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Here's a picture of the deluxe boxset (7 CDs + 1 vinyl LP):
    [​IMG]

And according to the SuperDeluxeEdition site, this is the tracklisting of the 7th CD, with songs that inspired the Fisherman's Blues sessions:
    (unfortunately no performers are listed)
    1. On My Way to Heaven
    2. Meet Me At the Station
    3. Can the Circle Be Unbroken?
    4. The Gospel Train Is Coming
    5. This Land Is Your Land
    6. Honky Tonkin’
    7. I Don’t Feel At Home in This World Anymore
    8. I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry
    9. Lost Highway
    10. Will The Circle Be Unbroken
    11. The Raggle Taggle Gypsy/Tabhair Dom Do Lamh
    12. Maggie
    13. Carolan’s Welcome
    14. The Humours of Castlefin
    15. Air: Across The Hill/Gold Ring
    16. An Cailin Alainn (The Beautiful Girl)
    http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/n...hermans-box-new-photo-and-bonus-disc-details/

BTW, according to a tweet by Mike Scott, the booklet for the 6 CD clamshell version will be identical to the one in the deluxe edition, only fit to the clamshell size.

14. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Thanks for the pic and update. Looks very nice. I ended up cancelling order for the deluxe and going for the CD set. Too many boxes in a short space of time (Band, Van, John Martyn, etc...)

15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

It's glorious, isn't it!

windfall likes this.
  16. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

CD is dead??? Not quite yet!

17. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

Aside from the thrill of the music I'm happy to see that the sleeves are color coded. It'll be quicker to remember that I want the to play the "red one" or the "purple one" than having a bunch of sleeves the same color with different smallish photos on each. I'm thinking of Fleetwood Mac and some classical boxes, though I guess with how large some classical boxes are they'd run out of colors. :p

18. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

The tracklist of CD2 is now available here:

http://www.mikescottwaterboys.com/waterboys-news.php

1. We Will Not Be Lovers
    2. One Step Closer
    3. My Beautiful Baby
    4. She Could Have Had Me Step By Step
    5. When The Ship Comes In
    6. The Ladder
    7. Will You Ever Be My Friend?
    8. Too Close To Heaven (rolling piano)
    9. Higherbound (prototype)
    10. Happy Birthday BP Fallon
    11. The Prettiest Girl In Church
    12. You Don't Have To Be In The Army To Fight In The War
    13. Dee Jay Way
    14. Lonesome And A Long Way From Home
    15. Thistlethwaite's Declaration
    16. Strange Boat (first play)
    17. Lost Highway
    18. Higherbound Blues
    19. Let Us Be Drinking And Kissing The Women
    20. Will The Circle Be Unbroken
    21. Tenderfootin'
    22. Too Close To Heaven
    23. Space Out There, Trevor

CD2 catches The Waterboys at a fascinating juncture. Not yet officially recording the follow-up to This Is The Sea, the band spent thirteen days between March and September 1986 in Dublin's Windmill Lane Studio, trying out songs, sounds and recording engineers while deepening their explorations into country, blues and roots music. Track 1 was on the original album, tracks 6, 21 & 22 were on 2001's Too Close To Heaven, track 14 was on the 2006 remaster of Fisherman's Blues, and track 17 was the 'b' side of the 1989 Fisherman's Blues single. The other 17 tracks are previously unreleased

They have also a digital-only EP coming out tomorrow; it has three songs about the infamous Arthur's day celebrations in Ireland.

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Relieved to see the 7th disc on the SDE is non-Waterboys stuff. :sweating:

Craig likes this.
  20. JohnB

JohnB Senior Member

According to a couple of posts on the Waterboys official site's guestbook page, the Deluxe version will not be available in North America, only the "regular" (if you want to call it that) 6 cd clamshell version. No word yet on the release date for that area.

21. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Great. That's how I'll pitch it to my wife. "Babe, it's not like I'm importing the deluxe. I'm only getting the REGULAR version!"

22. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

As a huge fan, I'm definitely not waiting for any US release....pre-ordered from amazon.uk. If there anything worth importing, it is this set!

Quincy and JohnB like this.
  23. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Can't wait already preordered

24. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

A new update has been posted on http://mikescottwaterboys.com/waterboys-news.php with some background info on CD3.

1. Steve And Anto's Overture
    2. Ain't Leavin', I'm Gone
    3. When Will We Be Married (1st version)
    4. When I First Said I Loved Only You, Maggie
    5. Love Is Letting Go
    6. On My Way To Heaven (1st version)
    7. You In The Sky (1st version)
    8. The Secret Place Of The Most High
    9. Too Hot For Cleanhead
    10. Wickham's Proclamation
    11. Blues For Your Baby
    12. Lonesome Old Wind
    13. If Jimi Was Here
    14. Soon As I Get Home
    15. Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

CD3 was recorded Dec 2-7 1986 in Fantasy Studios, California, with producer Bob Johnston. Bob produced Dylan, Johnny Cash, Leonard Cohen and many others in the 60s & 70s. For this week of sessions Bob brought in a series of crack American rhythm sections to back Mike, Steve and Anto. The results include fascinating prototype versions of several songs that later became Waterboys favourites, plus some of their finest improvising. Mike Scott considers the music made with legendary drummer Jim Keltner (tracks 6, 7 & 9-15) to be among the band's best-ever recordings. Tracks 11 & 12 were on 2001's Too Close To Heaven album; an edit of track 14 was on the 2006 remaster of Fisherman's Blues (the Box version is the full 26 minutes); track 2 was included, in a different mix, on a bonus EP in 2001. The other 11 tracks are previously unreleased.

Personal note:
    Interestingly, this tracklisting is not completely in line with the list of the complete sessions, as detailed on the same site under the Fisherman's Blues album. The following songs are on the CD tracklisting but not in the Complete Sessions List:
    1. Steve And Anto's Overture
    5. Love Is Letting Go
    8. The Secret Place Of The Most High
    10. Wickham's Proclamation
    13. If Jimi Was Here
    15. Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    And the following songs are mentioned in the Complete Sessions List for these sessions (Fantasy Studios, December 1986) but do not appear on the box:
    40 Saints And Angels (version 2)
    41 Has Anybody Here Seen Hank?

Hep Alien and jeffsab like this.
  25. HillTopMan

HillTopMan Active Member

The rerelease of the Vinyl and label, inner etc. in the picture posted above looks identical to my first press vinyl - so very pleased about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.