The Waterboys vs. World Party

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Galaga King, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't" Thread Starter

The Waterboys vs. World Party

2. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

World Party

3. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

I don't own either band's entire discography but from what I know, The Waterboys are in the pole position. Fisherman's Blues alone is a watershed moment that World Party, to my knowledge, has not equaled.

4. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

Apples to oranges, but this is a masterpiece.

[​IMG]

durkn, somnar and bhazen like this.
  5. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Never heard anything by the Waterboys that could touch this.

bhazen likes this.
  6. Bruce

Bruce Senior Member

World Party

7. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

8. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I think that World Party/Kurt Wallinger has produced a more consistent catalog, but FISHERMAN'S BLUES is a much better album than anything by World Party -- or anything else by the Waterboys.

mds likes this.
  9. fadingcaptain

fadingcaptain Active Member

Egyptology is a pop masterpiece - every bit as successful in its own way as Fisherman's & Room To Roam.

As mentioned, apples/oranges. Tough choice, but I gotta hand it to Karl.

somnar, ggergm and bhazen like this.
  10. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I love them both and they still get reasonably regular play around my house, so it's a coin toss and it pretty much depends on my mood. No band could contain the egos of both Scott and Wallinger,but long term, could you imagine the music they would have produced if they would have managed to co-exist?

11. JohnB

JohnB Senior Member

This one's not even close in my book. The Waterboys.

12. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

World Party, for sure. I need to hear more Waterboys, though ... are they 'pop' like WP?

World Party are actually my favourite pop band at the moment; right up there with Crowded House. Both bands' music affects me in a deep emotional fashion, not unlike the Beatles. It took me a long time to 'get' WP fully, although I've had all their albums for years and years. But last summer...it clicked. Coincidentally, I'm taking my best friend to see them this coming Sunday.

Is there a good Waterboys best-of CD available?

muffmasterh likes this.
  13. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Waterboys/Mike Scott are a lot more pretentious, for better and worse, than World Party/Kurt Wallinger. At their best, the Waterboys recall Van Morrison: "This Is the Sea," "Strange Boat," "We Will Not Be Lovers," etc. At their worst it can be the most godawful, self-consciously epic racket you ever feared from U2. It's always sincere, though; they certainly weren't aiming for the charts.

Probably best to just buy FISHERMAN'S BLUES and THIS IS THE SEA.

14. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Thanks Ron!

15. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

1) Early Waterboys (with Karl)
    2) World Party
    3) Waterboys (without Karl)

16. crskzoo

crskzoo New Member

Both.

World Party has made consistently excellent records, but none, to me at least, reach the highs of This is the Sea or Fisherman's Blues. Very glad to have both in the wide world of my collection though.

ggergm likes this.
  17. JohnB

JohnB Senior Member

Can't say I agree with you Ron. I find World Party/Wallinger to be much more pretentious, in a "hipster/I'm so clever" sort of way. And as for recommending to buy only those two Waterboys albums... you'd be missing out on a LOT of great music.

18. John54

John54 Senior Member

Waterboys, mostly on the strength of Church Not Made With Hands and The Whole of the Moon, two of the very best '80s tunes.

19. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Way too many nods in favor of World Party for my taste. Don't get me wrong, I think World Party/Karl Wallinger is great, but the Waterboys were better, longer, and made Fisherman's Blues, which is darn near perfect. This Is The Sea is only slightly less perfect. Not to mention they've set high standards as a touring band, which WP hasn't. Throw in Mike Scott's fantastic solo albums, and I think is Waterboys/Scott by a very, very large margin.

20. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

World Party. Waterboys just took themselves too seriously while WP was just more fun while been able to make some serious statements like in Goodbye Jumbo.

bhazen likes this.
  21. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Anybody got any comment on the Yeats album?

I'll admit to being surprised about the result (so far) of this poll ... I'd thought the Waterboys a much more obscure act than WP. I now want to check out Mike Scott et al., though I'm pretty sure WP will remain top for me.

22. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Always thought that 'Sweet Soul Dream' was the great undiscovered track on this album...an ideal track for Van Morrison to cover

BNell likes this.
  23. thommo

thommo Senior Member

Probably the Waterboys for me, but only just.

The Waterboys have more songs I love than do WP.

24. stever

stever Senior Member

Both great bands, but I've always enjoyed World Party music more.

25. jricc

jricc Senior Member

World Party for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.