The Weakest Link: Journey’s Greatest Hits- Round 9

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Apr 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I don’t know about this. I’ll have to find the story. Thanks.

Cheevyjames and Zoot Marimba like this.
  2. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

Indeed but jerk off Schon said Steve did it without the knowledge of the band. Anyone who believes that I have some land to sell you.

3. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

He and Cain were just pissed they got caught. Nothing happens in that band without their approval.

4. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Don't Stop Believin'. Why are people voting to keep it over Wheel in the Sky?

Bern, GodShifter and Zoot Marimba like this.
  5. BluesOvertookMe

DQ: I have one album with Augeri (Arrival) and one with Arnel (Eclipse). I think they both did a good job, although I felt Augeri was trying even more to sound like Perry than Arnel was. Not that I don't understand why. They both can really sing, no issues there, but I feel like I hear a little more personality from Arnel. I don't think I ever heard Soto sing with them, but I do remember him from Yngwie, and liked him (although I think I preferred Mark Boals).

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I don’t think Soto ever recorded anything with the band. Maybe some live things. The only recorded work with Soto and Schon is the Soul SirkUS stuff. Soto’s voice did not fit Journey.

7. BluesOvertookMe

Any recordings of I'll See the Light Tonight with Neal Schon? :cool:

GodShifter and Zoot Marimba like this.
  8. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

Soto was good and he was Schon's buddy from their other band, but yea he was more harder rock and not a good fit for the Journey sound.

GodShifter, carlwm and Zoot Marimba like this.
  9. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Those are all favourites of mine too, they easily beat the well-known hits on my regular playlist...

LittlePearl and Zoot Marimba like this.
  10. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Trial by Fire might just be my favourite Journey album, even though many others seem to dislike it. Steve may not be hitting the highest notes on those songs anymore, but instead displays his most emotional and expressive vocals ever! Great songs too, like Don't Be Down On Me Baby, Colors Of The Spirit, Easy To Fall, and Trial By Fire.

11. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Wheel in the Sky

I don't know. I guess they get/got the job done but you can't really replace a guy like Perry.

12. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

Wheel In the Sky to go

DQ: I liked the song from Armageddon ( Augeri ) and I've only heard Arnel on TV of on video and he's o.k., so I can't say much. I not sure if either give/gave the band any musical credibility

SBurke and Zoot Marimba like this.
  13. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

"Wheel in the Sky" should have gotten popped in like round 3, IMO. Only on SHTV would it have made it so far. :)

I'd have kept "I'll Be Alright Without You" up till last round.

"Open Arms," "Lights," and "Don't Stop Believing" are the top 3 Journey tunes. The high vote count for "Don't Stop" (as of this post it actually is leading, i.e. losing) is solely because it is overplayed, which is true, but also unfair.

14. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Any Way You Want It has LEGS.

Still sounds great after all these years.

And I've probably heard it just about as many times as DSB

15. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Nicely stated. I agree, it remains vibrant and fresh decades later.

16. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

Don’t Stop Believing

DQ: Augeri was alright, Arnel is pretty solid, I dug Soto. I don’t like how they keep getting these clone singers, and I like that Soto did his own thing, but of I’m being honest, the other two did deliver live.

carlwm likes this.
  17. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Don't here.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  18. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Don’t Stop Believing.

DQ: I only know Jeff Scott Soto from Yngwie Malmsteen and Alex Masi, but he is one bad mother.

BluesOvertookMe and Zoot Marimba like this.
  19. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

The poll is almost closed, but I won't stop believing. :shake:

20. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

You can treat the poll result any way you want it.

Zoot Marimba and SBurke like this.
  21. LittlePearl

LittlePearl Well-Known Member

I feel the need to chime in with an Amen! :winkgrin:

TBF displays Journey's maturity while staying true to their essential Journeyness without trying to be trendy. I would put Trial By Fire, Don't Be Down on Me Baby, Easy to Fall, If He Should Break Your Heart and It's Just the Rain (and of course WYLAW) up there with their best ballads, with lyrics reflecting their and their audience's maturity. I Can See it In Your Eyes, Castles Burning and Message of Love are great up-tempo rockers.

I don't know why it didn't do better commercially or critically. I guess the critics had too much invested in flagellating their favourite whipping boys, plus they couldn't really promote it because of Steve Perry's health problems, and also MTV wouldn't air the WYLAW video.

I'm gutted to have never gotten to hear these performed by the classic lineup and that there was no follow up album in a similar vein.

Zoot Marimba and DBMartin like this.
  22. LittlePearl

LittlePearl Well-Known Member

Too much green on the table and I'm sure management gave their "input" into the situation.

Zoot Marimba and Cheevyjames like this.
  23. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Amen! Trial By Fire is an underappreciated gem for me! Not very fond of 'Castles Burning' to be honest, and 'One More' and 'I Can See It In Your Eyes' (bonus track) aren't favourites of mine either, but I really like all the other tracks on the album. People often comment on 'Message of Love' being a poor clone of 'Separate Ways', but I actually thinks it's one of Journey's best rock songs, and 'When You Love A Woman' is a great ballad that's up there with Journey's best too.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  24. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

In general, I think "Trial By Fire" is uneven and too long, but I agree that "Message of Love" stands alongside the best of the Steve Perry era.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  25. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I've seen Journey with both Jeff Scott Soto and Arnel. While Arnel is a great Perry-clone, and I like the new material on the albums, I really liked the show with JSS better. He may not have the range of any of the other replacements, but I liked how they performed the material with him and wish they would have recorded something. Castronovo sang the schmaltzy ballads (Open Arms, Faithfully, etc) anyway.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.