The"what,what?" Rega white belt upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by raferx, Aug 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raferx

raferx Forum Resident Thread Starter

Decided to get the Michael Lim 50Hz dual-pulley upgrade for my RP6, but before installing it on my TT, I bought one Rega white reference belt Friday to replace the stock black one.
    I wanted to do a gradual buildup to the upgrade and see just how much of a difference it would make.
    My thinking being that the RP8 has dual white belts (and a fully-machined subplatter, but that's a month away for me), so this was an incremental upgrade test.
    So I just played Chromatics "Tick of the Clock" off their 2010 release Night Drive three times at 10 o'clock on my volume dial before swapping belts. This track has a big, bouncy bassline, is very sparse, very electro, with no vocals so I could concentrate on the mids and bass punch alone.
    Tech note: the white belt is thicker and much more snug in it's fit on the subplatter than the standard Rega black belt, and the stock belt was not worn, the TT is only a month old.
    Swapping out the belt and setting the volume again at 10 o'clock I sat back to see what, if any change there would be.
    Oh my.
    Big difference. No doubt. Instantly noticeable.
    Db output was louder at same volume postion.
    Bass and midrange were more taut, extended and had an added visceral, meaty quality to them – by about an order of magnitude.
    I have had an RP1, a P3-24 and now this RP6.
    I have never used a Rega reference belt before as an upgrade (Lim's red belts on my RP1, which while noticeable, were nothing near this), so needless to say, I can see why Rega would classify this as an "upgrade" to their TTs which don't come stock with it (RP1, RP3, RP6) vs those that do (RP8, RP10).
    Having tweaked my RP1 a fair bit before realizing tweaks on the lower-end Rega's only go so far, I can now say that there seems to be a much larger margin of improvement for even modest tweaks the more you go up the Rega TT ladder.
    I never would have though this lavel of improvement was possible with a $60 belt upgrade.
    Makes me wonder how much more of an improvement two will make when I install the dual pulley.
    I'll write more about what the white belt reveals over the next few days as I spin more LPs.
    –R

Jerod, vinyl anachronist and rischa like this.
  2. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

Wait until you get an RP40 red belt upgrade!

Shel, Huck Caton, Dmann201 and 2 others like this.
  3. raferx

Ha!
    :)

4. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I thought the white belt made a nice difference when I put one on a P5 that had an upgrade subplatter. When I got my P9, I put two white belts on it.

5. raferx

And never looked back? Do dish Bob!

6. raferx

Just finished listening to Bill Evans – Sunday at the Village Vanguard, (OJC 140) and all I have to is say, "Wow."
    The improved extension and grip on the lower registers of Scott LaFaro's bass on Gloria's Step and Jade Visions was sick. Everything is standing out as if in relief.
    His plucking on the string was really separated for the first time, and with so much less smear in the upper/lower mids.
    You could differentiate between when his finger first comes into contact with the string, plucks it, and snaps off. Unreal.
    I'm pretty hyped to think how much more things are going to improve with the dual pulley and second white belt.
    *Chet Baker, Chet Baker Sings (Riverside RLP 1120) on the TT right now... in this recording his voice gets kinda weird and pitchy in a number of spots, this is the first time I've EVER heard it
    sound so stable: a noticeable decrease in wow/flutter.
    Sounds like a different mastering, I swear.
    Holy ****!!!

Bob_in_OKC likes this.
  7. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

The belt upgrade on the P5 convinced me. No looking back. On the P9, I listened for a few days with the standard belts while I waited for the upgrade belts. It sounded great. Upgrading the belts then took the performance a bit further still. I'm not sure the difference wasn't greater upgrading the one-belt turntable than it was on the two-belt turntable. Either turntable just seems to sound more authoritative, more sure of itself. I was marveling again today at this P9. I put an old CBS Half-Speed Mastered record on it and was impressed all over again at how tight the sound is. The belts are certainly a part of that.

raferx likes this.
  8. Harvest Your Thoughts

Do you work for Rega raferx?! :laugh: I'm seriously considering upgrading my stock RP6 after reading this.

9. raferx

LOL... no.
    I've realized I don't want to change the Rega sound that I've grown to love. But I do want to improve on it following their lead.
    I have to say, I'm over-the-top impressed at the sonic improvement that a $60 rubber belt has yielded.
    No wonder Rega recommends it.
    Sarah Vaughan – Sarah Vaughan (Emarcy MG-36004, Speakers Corner remaster) on the TT as I'm writing, this LP is swinging right now.
    Clifford Brown and Roy Haynes as I've never heard them on this recording.
    Vaughan's voice is the silkiest I've heard it yet, Herbie Mann's flute practically appears out of thin air.

10. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Thanks for posting your experience. Heres my question to all: How much difference will the White Belt make on my Rega RP1? I have a really nice Clearudio Concept Cart in it. Many thanks for your replies.

11. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

Thanks for the review, raferx. Man, I'll have to give the white belt a try before springing for a Groovetracer subplatter. I thought I'd wait until my black belt was worn to replace it with the white belt, as I was skeptical that a belt alone could provide much of an improvement. But your review has me thinking again. Rega should really make these white belts stock on the RP series, or at least on the RP3 and up.

12. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I agree with all that's being said about the white belt. Have had one on my p1 for several years now. It's even better since I upped the subplatter to a metal one.

13. N_Addy

N_Addy Well-Known Member

Pssst... don't tell anyone but the white belt sells for around $26 if ordered direct from the UK. The challenge is finding a dealer that ships to the US. Analogue Seduction does but they seem to be out of the white belt at the moment (maybe I got the last one? :D ).

I just upgraded my RP1 to a white belt and Elys2 cart. Totally agree with everything you've said!

raferx likes this.
  14. Harvest Your Thoughts

I did a bit of internet searching and the cheapest I found including international delivery was about 26 uk pounds. Is that what you meant? If someone is selling them at $26US they'd have to be making a loss.

15. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

+1 and I was very skeptical. I was really surprised at the difference.

16. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Yep...I just put the white belt, the groovetracer subplatter, as well as switched out my black plinth for a red one. I'm still adjusting to the sonic differences!

17. Harvest Your Thoughts

Does the red plinth sound 'faster'? :winkgrin:

Huck Caton likes this.
  18. N_Addy

N_Addy Well-Known Member

Even 26 UK pounds ($39.74 US) including isn't bad. I didn't necessarily shop around for the belt itself so I don't know if this was a common price or not. I was shopping for the Elys2 and just happened to find a place that also sold the belt. I couldn't believe the deal on both.

Here's my order from Analogue Seduction (all shown in USD).

Order Number: XXXXX
    Date: 23 Jul 2013
    Payment Method: PayPal
    Delivery Method: Outside Europe
    Delivery Charge: $16.56
    Total: $194.92

[​IMG] Rega Elys 2 CartridgeTracking Number: XXXXXXXX 1 1 $151.61 $151.61 [​IMG]

[​IMG] Rega Turntable White Belt Upgrade (Genuine Rega Part)Tracking Number: XXXXXXXX 1 1 $26.75 $26.75 [​IMG]

19. Harvest Your Thoughts

Yes you certainly got a good deal! They must have run out as the don't list the White Belt anymore. This is what shows up with that link. I might have to go for that deal I found. Not too bad!

[​IMG]

Edit: I just realised, minus postage the deal I found was only $32US without postage, so not really far off. It makes more sense that way...

20. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

It is a very good upgrade.

21. Captain Vinyl

Captain Vinyl Forum Resident

Haha!

22. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I'm going to try the white belt. Don't have a Rega but the next time my wife and I, you know, will my performance improve?

23. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

Yes, but only when paired with white shoes. Before Labour Day, of course.

24. raferx

YMMV!

25. raferx

I'm at the office today, but when I get home this afternoon I'm going to spin a few more Speakers Corner re-masters and post a few follow-up thoughts.
    Thanks for the positive feedback everybody, glad to help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.