The"what,what?" Rega white belt upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by raferx, Aug 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

By way of comparison, does anyone know how much a dealer sells a replacement black belt for? If it's something like $30, I'd step up to the white belt for an extra $30.

2. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Standard belt $39, white belt $59.

3. For $20 I wound certainly always go for white then.

4. raferx

raferx Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm glad you like your 1200 so much, that's great.
    I had one. Sold it. Never looked back.
    Now, back to the topic... if you don't have a Rega, never had a Rega, or are not interested in Rega, could you please explain why on Earth are you talking about something you seem to have no experience with on this thread?

Last edited: May 18, 2014
    Bob_in_OKC likes this.
  5. missan

missan Forum Resident

You mean, 'Don´t write things I don´t want to know' :cool:

6. missan

missan Forum Resident

Even if it is so that one test tone will not reveal everything, a 3150Hz test tone will reveal an awful lot. I can understand a certain unwillingness in some cases to check the TT in this way, but it´s very odd to me that different belts haven´t really been checked this way, at least I have not found any tests of them.
    If I was to change a belt or something else that could effect performance of the TT, using a test tone would be the first thing I´d do, naturally.

jupiterboy likes this.
  7. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I think I'd just put a record on and enjoy it.

Bob_in_OKC and Mazzy like this.
  8. missan

missan Forum Resident

Horses for courses.

9. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

On a modern belt-drive turntable in good working order the drive system has limited impact on wow and flutter. Of greater impact are eccentricity of LP pressing, imperfections in the LP surface, and interaction of the cartridge/tonearm. Discussion beginning p. 20 of the following: http://www.eminent-tech.com/Manuals/ET2damping.pdf

raferx and jupiterboy like this.
  10. missan

missan Forum Resident

It is usually so that other things than pure W&F are more dominent when measuring. However it very much depends on the modulating frequencies present.
    As we are most sensitive to a modulating freq at 4Hz it will still be so that actual platter driving inconsistencies cannot be neglected.

11. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Just bought a RP6!

TimArruda, thxphotog, james and 3 others like this.
  12. jon9091

Nice. Welcome to the club!

Ntotrar and Paul K like this.
  13. raferx

raferx Forum Resident Thread Starter

Awesome!

Ntotrar likes this.
  14. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

An earlier comment attributed some appreciation to a Technics for its presumably low flutter. Miller Audio Research found Rega to have the lower flutter in this case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jon9091, raferx and james like this.
  15. missan

missan Forum Resident

But You are showing a plot of a very old SP10II with unknown condition and unknown tonearm. To me this looks extremely good concidering the unlikely good shape. As You can see from the plot there are sidebands at 3.05 and 3.25Hz, indicating that something is not right with the TT, but it is still this good!

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  16. Bob_in_OKC

There are Technics fans all over the forums who claim their 30-year-old turntable and their hearing are superior to Rega turntables with regard to pitch. This plot calls into question their credibility.

jon9091 and Mazzy like this.
  17. missan

missan Forum Resident

No it´s just showing a plot of a Technics SP10II of unknown age and unknown condition and unknown tonearm, nothing else.

18. Bob_in_OKC

In a battle of providing any actual data on the topic, I'd have them beat 1-to-nothing at this point.

19. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

And the Rega plot shows a RP6 of unknown age, time in service, temperature, humidity, altitude, barometric pressure, day, night, color plinth, cart, season, time of day, number of beers, wall socket, powerstrip, UPS, coal, oil, hydro, wind and phase of the moon. If the the Techniques really were the end all to be all I'm sure it would be my first pick. As it is its a good TT. But I just bought a RP6 (its not even here yet) so I must be biased ;).

Some say the green ones sound the best.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
    jon9091 likes this.
  20. jon9091

Did you get the green one? ;)

21. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Nope, Black...

jon9091 likes this.
  22. missan

missan Forum Resident

I don´t know where the battle is, a Don Quijote battle maybe. What´s interesting and important to me is only knowing how my own TT performs and why. As this is the one I´m listening to, it should be about as good as it gets.

23. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

Sorry Bob, but that tells us absolutely nothing about the Rega white belt and why it might sound better than the stock one. That was off-side, the goal doesn't count (in soccer terms). ;)

24. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

Can't remember if this has been asked before (by me or someone else!)

Has anyone compared the red belt (a la RP40) to the white belt?

I've seen red belts (not sure if they are official) advertised at a fraction of the price...

25. missan

missan Forum Resident

TTs are bought for subjective reasons, like most things in audio IMO. Never mind what TT we buy it´s only for a subjective reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.