The White Album - The Three LP version

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Veech, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds Thread Starter

Ok let’s get this out of the way first:

In my opinion The Beatles, aka the White Album, is the best rock album ever made. It can never be improved, and I’m not trying to improve it.

That said, I have always wondered about Lennon’s statement that the album could be one, two or even three LPs. Could it really have been three LPs? Six sides of White Album goodness? Yep, I do believe it is possible, and here is my version.

The songs I think that could be added to the White Album track list are:

Lady Madonna
    Hey Bulldog
    Across The Universe
    Sour Milk Sea
    Junk
    Not Guilty
    What’s The New Mary Jane
    Hey Jude
    Revolution
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps – LOVE version

“Lady Madonna”, “Hey Bulldog” and “Across The Universe” – although recorded before the Beatles traveled to Rishikesh – were the first tracks recorded in the band’s post-psychedelic era and fit quite comfortably in style and content with the tracks on the White Album.

“Sour Milk Sea” and “Junk” are included because they were demo'ed at Esher, and presumably were written in India along with most of the other WA tracks.

“Not Guilty” and “What’s The New Mary Jane” are simply added back in as they were intended for the album but cut during the final sequencing.

“Hey Jude” and “Revolution” are included because they were recorded during the WA sessions.

The only problem with including “Sour Milk Sea” is that there isn’t a decent Beatles performance available. I would use Jackie Lomax’s version and pretend that George invited a guest vocalist in like he invited a guest guitarist in on “While My Guitar Gently Weeps.” Having Paul, George, Ringo and Clapton perform on the Lomax version, and the fact it was recorded in the midst of the WA sessions, lends enough credibility to warrant inclusion.

I would include “Junk” from the McCartney album since it’s an all Paul recording (except for the final harmony, but just play along here). This one may be a mismatch stylistically, but the entire album is such an eclectic mix of styles that hopefully it won’t feel too out of place.

Finally, I included the LOVE version of “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” in the same spirit as having two versions of “Revolution”. The LOVE version is significantly different from the original version and is poignant enough to warrant inclusion.

As for sequencing, here is my shot at a 3-LP White Album

SIDE ONE: 21:00

Back In The USSR
    Dear Prudence
    Glass Onion
    Ob-la-Di, Ob-La-Da
    Wild Honey Pie
    The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Note: all I did here was remove “Happiness Is A Warm Gun” which tends to feel anti-climactic after WMGGW. This maintains the flow of side one with the fade-out of WMGGW providing a stunning consummation to this set of songs.

SIDE TWO 19:08

Martha My Dear
    I’m So Tired
    Blackbird
    Piggies
    Don’t Pass Me By
    Why Don’t We Do It In The Road?
    I Will
    Julia

Note: Here I removed “Rocky Raccoon” because I needed a Paul track to fill out the middle LP. Since five of the nine songs on this side were Paul’s, he is still well represented. After just a couple of listens, the end of “Piggies” and the intro to “Don’t Pass Me By” fit together just fine.

SIDE THREE: 22:29

Revolution
    Rocky Raccoon
    What’s The New Mary Jane
    Lady Madonna
    Not Guilty
    Across The Universe

Notes: Here’s where the sequencing fun begins. I patterned the first two tracks -- a rocking opener and an acoustic follow-up -- on the USSR/Prudence model. The goofy McCartney vocals on Rocky are a bit odd coming right after the raucous Lennon number (with the somewhat preachy lyrics) but they pave the way for the lyrical absurdity of the next track, “What’s The New Mary Jane”. I like putting the inane WTNMJ in the middle here because this side opens and closes with two more “serious” Lennon numbers. “Lady Madonna” is the perfect antidote to WTNMJ so it comes next. “Not Guilty” feels good as an “album” track nestled in between two strong Paul and John songs. ATU rounds out the side as a pleasant and wistful way to end the set.

SIDE FOUR: 22:24

Hey Bulldog
    Sour Milk Sea
    Junk
    Happiness Is A Warm Gun
    Hey Jude

Notes: “Hey Bulldog” as a side-opener, who can argue? This way, John and Paul get three openers each. “Sour Milk Sea” comes next giving the side two strong rockers in a row. McCartney’s “Junk” calms things down a bit and flows quite nicely into the opening chords of “Happiness Is A Warm Gun”. WMGGW-LOVE version may feel contradictory coming right after Lennon's raunchy track, but it continues the ebb-and-flow of the side. Of course “Hey Jude” is the ultimate side-closer, nothing could follow that anthemic four-minute fade.

SIDE FIVE: 22:48

Birthday
    Yer Blues
    Mother Nature’s Son
    Everybody’s Got Something To Hide Except Me and My Monkey
    Sexy Sadie
    Helter Skelter
    Long, Long, Long

SIDE SIX: 24:29

Revolution 1
    Honey Pie
    Savoy Truffle
    Cry Baby Cry
    Revolution 9
    Good Night

Note: Sides five and six are untouched.

To even out the lengths a little I might put “Rocky Raccoon” back where it belongs and move “Honey Pie” into the second slot on Side Three.. hmmm.. in fact I like this Side Three better:

Revolution
    Honey Pie
    What’s The New Mary Jane
    Lady Madonna
    Not Guilty
    Across The Universe

But this disrupts the last side’s running order, not to mention its charm, so never mind.

So as you can see, I tried to maintain the integrity of the White Album, while creating a middle LP of songs that are sympathetic to the theme and verve of the White Album sessions. I think it works quite well and it would have been an absolutely killer three LP set.

lordcat likes this.
  2. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

Use the version of "Junk" that's on Anthology 3. That's a better fit.

Otherwise, an interesting sequence!

3. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

Where is revolution?

4. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds Thread Starter

Kicks off Side Three.

5. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Why place the "new" songs on an album of their own and not try to mix them with the other songs?
    For example "Not Guilty" would be great right after "Dear Prudence". In the same spirit, I would place "Good Night" right after "I'm so tired"... So funny...
    So here it goes (for side 1):
    USSR
    Prudence
    Guilty
    Mother Nature or Junk
    Tired
    Good Night

6. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

One killer LP would have been SOMETHING!

7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Abbey Road has Something on it :laugh:

spindly likes this.
  8. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Nice sequence, seems to work to me.

9. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

Yes I agree nice sequence. Sorry for unintentional thread crap of my post before this one.

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Brilliant idea:righton:

Your"s is perfect track sequence I would only change (see below)

SIDE ONE: 21:00

Back In The USSR
    Dear Prudence
    Glass Onion
    Ob-la-Di, Ob-La-Da
    Wild Honey Pie
    The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps

SIDE TWO 19:08

Hey Bulldog (changed it as it had a similar tempo to Sour Milk Sea )
    I’m So Tired
    Blackbird
    Piggies
    Don’t Pass Me By
    Why Don’t We Do It In The Road?
    I Will
    Julia

SIDE THREE: 22:29

Revolution
    Rocky Raccoon
    What’s The New Mary Jane
    Lady Madonna
    Not Guilty
    Across The Universe

SIDE FOUR: 22:24

Sour Milk Sea
    Martha My Dear
    Junk
    Happiness Is A Warm Gun
    Hey Jude

SIDE FIVE: 22:48

Birthday
    Yer Blues
    Mother Nature’s Son
    Everybody’s Got Something To Hide Except Me and My Monkey
    Sexy Sadie
    Helter Skelter
    Long, Long, Long

SIDE SIX: 24:29

Revolution 1
    Honey Pie
    Savoy Truffle
    Cry Baby Cry
    Revolution 9
    Good Night

perhaps end coda "Can you take me "

11. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

SOMETHING is on Abbey Road! :laugh:

12. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

Kidding right about SOMETHING?...because I was... and thats why apologised....again good listing...YES IT IS!

13. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

It's called side one and side three. :righton:

14. polo_zappa

polo_zappa New Member

I think too that 1 white album LP will be best than 3 4 or 5 and Im not gonna regret about this statement! :)

15. todd33rpm

todd33rpm New Member

Love the sequence, Veech...and I say that with Yoko getting a vocal on "Bungalow Bill" it's only fair to balance with the harmonies on "Junk". Also, like another three-record set with a guest vocal or two (Sandanista), I say "Sour Milk Sea" is fine as an inclusion.

"It's All Too Much"? Nah. :)

16. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident

There's a fairly decent fan mashup out there of the backing track of Lomax's version fused with the vocal from George's Esher demo.

17. krisbee

krisbee Forum Resident

Why wasn't Goodbye or Heather added to this list? They were recorded around that time, weren't they? And I love Goodbye!

18. matthew5

matthew5 Forum Resident

across the universe was available at this time too....

wasn't it?

19. polo_zappa

polo_zappa New Member

yes it was recorded on early February of 1968 I think

20. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Can u take me back / Los paranoias / The way U look 2nite could be used as a link track somewhere....

21. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Maybe they could have used the 28 minute "Helter Skelter" for one entire side.

22. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

From what I've read, George was fooling around with "Something" during the White Album sessions. Don't know if it was finished then or not. Couldn't agree more that "Not Guilty" and "Sour Milk Sea" should have made the final cut - George always got the shaft. And I, too, have also played with revised sequences that include both versions of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." If they were going to include two versions of the same song, better "Guitar" than "Revolution," imho.

23. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Yes!! Mixed in QUAD--with no compression or NR! :)

24. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

The unheard (in our dreams) Helter Skelter was way grander than the real thing...good original edit...IMO

25. GMav

GMav Senior Member

Veech,

I like your thinking. One question. Adding Lady Madonna, Hey Jude and Revolution, brings up an interesting situation. Seeing as you took songs that were originally NON album tracks, and placed them on your project, shouldn't The Beatles have still tried to release a single (or two) with songs that were left over?

Obviously, "The Inner Light" is available. What about "All Together Now", It's All Too Much" and "Only A Northern Song"? What about pairing All Together Now with The Inner Light, and then, in a Beatles FIRST!!!.........a two sided George Harrison composed single.........a pairing of Only A Northern Song with It's All Too Much? Not only would that be an interesting idea (in my opinion), but would also make the original Yellow Submarine album, un-necessary. Don't know where to put George Martin's stuff, though....:confused:

Your thoughts???........anybody??????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.