The Who - 2014 Remasters (HDTracks/iTunes) Side 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hawkman, Jan 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff Thread Starter

Continued from HERE.....

2. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

I'm thinking of getting Sell Out, my new favorite Who album. I've fallen in love with the 1996 (?) CD with all those bonus tracks. How does the new mix compare?

3. dee

dee Senior Member

Different in some ways in an enjoyable and satisfying manner in many, to that cd, and not mastered as loudly as the 2009 release of original mixes. A few different bonus songs from that time too than the '95 cd you have, which included a few songs from 1968.

botley likes this.
  4. botley

botley Forum Resident

I also think the 2014 Sell Out remasters are a huge improvement over the remixed '90s CD.

5. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Apples & Oranges.

There's nothing "wrong" with the remix they did for 'Sell Out'. It was done really well.

Some people have a philosophical issue with the very concept of remixing anything, regardless of how the final product sounds...

bizmopeen, dee, Tim Bucknall and 5 others like this.
  6. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I want to buy all the products they plug in sell out. On Amazon. Right now. Amazon prime. One click buy and its odorous for me

dee and botley like this.
  7. botley

botley Forum Resident

Except that it sounds bad. Harsh mastering and poor quality control on disc leading to playback glitches means I've never replayed my copy since getting the original — which sounds great and didn't need remixing!

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Harsh mastering? Of all of the complains with the '95 CD I've heard, I've never heard that one.

The only glitch is in Relax.

The fact that Rael doesn't have the horrible edit/crossfade is certainly a plus.

davenav, izgoblin, Pete Puma and 2 others like this.
  9. botley

botley Forum Resident

I guess you don't consider horrendous banding/track indexing problems to be glitches, but I do. They have the same effect on playback. And yes, there's a skip in "Relax", what the hell is that?

The cymbals and tambourines sound horrendously harsh on that CD, to me. Maybe it's the remixer's fault, but it should have been tamed in mastering nonetheless.

Both 2014 versions smoke the remix, even with a single bad edit.

10. Mike D'Aversa

You're obviously entitled to your opinion, but you won't find many to agree with you.
    Same as above.
    An unfortunate personal experience/bad luck. If something's wrong with your copy, you should've gotten it replaced. Its been out since 1995, and I've never heard of anybody else with this problem.
    Simultaneously debatable and irrelevant to the discussion...

Quadboy likes this.
  11. Mike D'Aversa

Have you considered the possibility that your system may be too "bright"?

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What effect does the track indexing have on playback?

There's no skip in Relax, just some odd noises in the left channel of the intro. And one in the right channel a few seconds later.

They don't sound harsh to me.

Mike D'Aversa and Billy Budapest like this.
  13. I rather like that "extended version" of the album as well, complete with the additional commercials.

Mike D'Aversa likes this.
  14. botley

botley Forum Resident

Individual tracks in isolation play back with a cut-off at the beginning and/or end that's hugely annoying and inappropriate for listening unless you want to hear whole chunks of the album at a time.

Sounds to me like it was a hard disk playback skip, which was printed during CD mastering stage, yet nobody caught it. I did ask MCA here in Canada about it after I bought the CD but they'd been acquired by Universal at that point and I never received a response.

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Questionable indexing isn't a make or break for me. Sloppy, sure, but there are bigger things to worry about.

There are definitely glitches, which are a problem, but there's still no skips. And those are only a few small bits on one song.

Mike D'Aversa likes this.
  16. dee

dee Senior Member

You might want to hold onto your cd too though, in addition to getting the new download. Although I like to include the song elsewhere, iirc, the '95 cd has the full 2:24 Glow Girl, with complete ending, and it also has the full version of Girl's Eyes, so, it's still essential for those reasons alone, imo, in addition to the different mix, and as mentioned, the real or complete Rael.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  17. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

The only skip or glitch on the '95 pressing of "Sell Out" was on "I Can See for Miles". Some players will error correct, but other will lock up at a certain point in the track. I believe MCA offered replacements at the time as it was a manufacturing defect.

IMHO, that remix is wonderful as it revealed the instrumentation and playing of Moon and Entwistle.

izgoblin and Pete Puma like this.
  18. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

A stereo version will be available shortly.

19. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

... or now. It's on ProStudioMasters, Pono and a non-US site whose name eludes me ... :) -E

20. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I'm downloading right now:)

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  21. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  22. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

No "Face Dances" yet.

23. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident