The Who - 2014 Remasters (HDTracks/iTunes)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RobCooper, Nov 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

And, easily overlooked amongst such rarefied company, Joan Armatrading's phenomenal self-titled album from 1976.

markaudio and Jet Age Eric like this.
  2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Also, just compare the tracks Johns recorded to the tracks that were recorded at the Record Plant. Behind Blue Eyes is probably the best choice, since the arrangement isn't too different. The Record Plant recording is by no means bad, but to me it doesn't sound as nice as the Johns/Olympic recording. There's a sense of space there that isn't present on the Record Plant recordings.

Of course, I prefer the *arrangement* of Pure and Easy from the Record Plant, but that's another issue.

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  3. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Oh yeah. Maybe the best handclaps in recorded history.

4. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Oh, I don't know. I prefer Roll Over Beethoven from With the Beatles myself.

sgtpppr84 likes this.
  5. Fritz G23

Fritz G23 Forum Resident

It's my understanding that My Generation was originally recorded and released in mono, with the first stereo mixes coming in 2002. I also understand Who Sell Out and A Quick One were released in both stereo and mono versions originally. True?

What were Sell Out and A Quick One recorded in? Mono or stereo?

6. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

it's pretty poor. I'm not a huge fan of how Johns recorded The Who, but he certainly did a better job than whomever was responsible for the Record Plant recordings.

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

None of the albums was recorded in mono (or stereo). My Generation was recorded to 3-track and A Quick One and Sell Out were recorded to 4-track.

The first stereo mixes from the My Generation sessions were apparently made in 1965 and were released on Who's/Two's Missing. In 2002 the entire album was remixed to stereo, often using tapes lacking overdubs or with alternate overdubs. It was remixed to stereo again in 2014 for the new downloads.

A Quick One was only issued in mono in the UK. However, all of the songs except See My Way were issued in true stereo in Germany and/or the US, depending on the song.

Sell Out was issued in both mono and stereo.

8. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

So I know that the 2002 My Generation stereo remixes lacked overdubs and such and were from the 3 track tapes.

Where do the new 2014 stereo mixes come from? Are they stereo mixes made in the 60's but not released? In otherwords are they missing overdubs?

9. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Why don't you just read through the thread and find out.

marmalade166, WhoTapes1 and Dave Hoos like this.
  10. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Long story short, new mixes with what appear to be a few contemporary overdubs. Also, it's been suggested that they seem to try to reflect the tonality of the '60s mono mix.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
    dee likes this.
  11. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

Want to buy Leeds and Who's Next from Qobuz. When I select 16/44 instead of 24/96, I save almost EUR 20. But can I be sure to get the 2014 remasters? It would be terrible to get 2002/2003 DLE's, especially for Leeds. The earlier editions are sold separately with other release dates. I'm quite confused...

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Brand new remixes.

Some overdubs still missing/different, some newly recreated in the studio.

13. Limopard

OK, Versuch macht klug...so I bought the 16/44 versions. I received the 2014 remasters, they are great. But I still have to figure out, how to cut the new "Leeds" into 2 CDs.

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

There's a clean break after Sparks.

Limopard likes this.
  15. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Would one of you experts on The Who music give me some quick guidance? I've searched this thread regarding the HDtracks Tommy releases - is my interpretation of the four pages (!) of search results below correct?

The 24-48 offering is a 1996 re-mix, while the 24-96 remastered 2013 and 24-96 Super Deluxe offer the same core album mastering and mix, the only difference being the latter's inclusion of bonus tracks?

16. Limopard

Thank you.

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No. All are 24/96 and the original mix.

frank3si likes this.
  18. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Thank you, lukpac. Is there a preferable mastering consensus?

19. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I am really liking this version of Leeds.

20. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

21. dee

dee Senior Member

Fwiw, I think Leeds as a 3 disc set works best for me...Opening Set, Tommy, Closing Set. I cannot have concert Tommy split over 2 discs. ymwv.

22. mongo

mongo Senior Member

FWIW, I did a brief comparo today of Who's Next between the MCA CD, SHM-SACD and HDTracks.
    Copied Baba O'Reilly and Love Ain't For Keeping to comparo folder and sorted the tracks in the above order.
    Love is a good track for comparing as it is short has acoustic guitar some good tom-tom etc.

If I could only have one version I would have to pick the HDTracks after running through the above tracks 4 times.
    To me, there's really not that much difference between them. The SHM is a bit lower in volume but I compensated for it.
    HDTracks, a bit punchier, more full maybe. Cymbals a bit better than the cd.
    Still these are all very close.
    Not having heard and knowing nothing about the Record Plant sessions, I put Love in the folder as well.
    Impossible to compare as it is so different in every way. You certainly hear the room more than the core versions.

If you already have the SHM, don't care about the extra tracks and are not weak-minded like me you might consider saving your money and waiting for a remix\master on HFPA.

evad likes this.
  23. dee

dee Senior Member

Been comparing Rael stereo remix, original stereo mix, and remade mix, and masterings, and because the original mix has that problem at the beginning, I can't deal with that, so I prefer the remix. The 'remade mix' sounds to me like it has good sonic fidelity, but sounds to me mostly as much like a mono mix as it is a stereo one, so that eliminated that one, and once again the mastering of what's on the box set stereo remix of another Sell Out track trumps the mastering of the Sell Out single disc remix, to my ears. I can't recall looking at old setlists if Rael was ever attempted on stage. Hardly ever talked about it seems, but at least to me, a significant piece of songwriting, composition, and recording, in The Who catalogue. I arrived very late to this song. The Rael 2/Naive seems to me a perfect afterword or coda to the song. I like how it's attached to Rael on the box set while conversely it's the next track on the Sell Out remix single disc. I think I like Naive/2 as it is done on the box set, making Rael basically one song or piece. Anyway, Rael seems to me a different kind of songwriting than anything else on Sell Out. Such an enormous variety of styles in songwriting etc. on that one album. Quite a musical accomplishment for the band, imho.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  24. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Do you like the new mixes despite the missing stuff?

I am assuming that for authenticity and to have the original then it needs to be the mono all the way of this and the next two proceeding albums.

On a side note its been years since I last listened to Tommy all the way through in one sitting, and this new remaster is stunning with great depth, and then the next night I went through the whole deluxe live at Leeds and sat through Tommy again and liked it way better than I thought I would. They did a killer job in such a raw state, warts and all.

25. dee

dee Senior Member

A couple questions and confirmations please...
    Doctor, Doctor
    Jekyll and Hyde
    Heaven and Hell...
    No studio stereo mixes of these songs have ever been released, is that right? Postcard is the only John song between 1968-70 in stereo?

The Seeker...are all the original stereo mixes with the electric guitar on the left? There have been so many compilations, I wonder. It's on the right, stage left, on the box set and MG Very Best Of. Did they simply invert it or are there other telling mix differences? I can listen myself but my ears need a break and I'm curious what other people know and have heard.

I can't find where Call Me Lightning is in true stereo? I will try to search this thread. I think Luke posted it in here. Ultimate Collection sounds like it has some kind of bass/percussion split left and right, but otherwise it sounded mono to me. I didn't hear it in stereo on the box set when I quickly scanned it.

Thanks for any info, answers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.