The Who - 2014 Remasters (HDTracks/iTunes)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RobCooper, Nov 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Sorry to say this,but i've been disappointed by what's been done so far............in 2014.
    yes the remixes/HD's are great,but it's the same old stuff again.
    We've had 1 new song and a curtailed tour...........and they were promising great things.
    a '79 multitrack audio show..........even if it's taken from several shows.

2. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

Is it save to assume that the iTunes-only bonus track "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere (French EP)" on the mono My Generation is also a new mono mix of the already released stereo "Alternate Version" of the song?

3. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Good question!

I haven't bought/heard it.

Dedicated or just a fold of the new/2014 remix?

4. The CD booklet says that the New York Record Plant Sessions are all newly remastered. It doesn't say anything about them being new mixes. Having said that, the concert at the Young Vic from April 1971 that also appears on the Deluxe Edition of Who's Next is newly mixed.

The main album itself is the original mix and not the remix they did in the mid-1990s.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I don't think so.

New mixes.

6. Are you asking me or telling me? The HDtracks release contains all the same mixes that the CD version did. I've compared all the tracks. The only difference is slightly more ambience on the 24/96 HDtracks release, but that probably due to the higher bit size and sample rate.

7. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I heard these online, and they sound great BUT.....I don't do downloads. I'm a CD only kind of guy.

Guess I'm SOL.

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The Record Plant and Young Vic material is new mixes.

9. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Why would someone with the kind if insider Who info as he does be asking you anything about The Who?

10. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

ok, thanks. but weren't people speculating if "Instant Party Mixture" was a new mono mix? Maybe a new mono mix for AAA (French EP) would have been better than a needledrop. And where actually is IPM mono from?

11. Pardon me. I've just looked at the previous page in the CD booklet and it says that the New York Record Plant Sessions were indeed remixed. It's only because on the next page it says they were just remastered which confused me. Sorry for the misunderstanding. The original album though is definitely the original mix and not the 1990s remix.

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Presumably Instant Party was a new mix, but I don't think the alt AAA was.

Not sure what the source was, although there was apparently an issue finding the master, which might explain why it isn't part of the HD download.

funkydude likes this.
  13. Sorry, I don't understand that comment at all.

14. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Burn them suckas onto a cd-r!

15. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

ahh, that makes sense.

16. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

the implication is he knows more than you about The Who and wouldn't need to ask you about Who releases

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

And just to be clear, I didn't make that statement.

jsayers likes this.
  18. motionoftheocean

oh, I know. it's still 99% likely to be true, though.

cartologist likes this.
  19. How was I supposed to know he knows more about The Who than me? Anyway, it's been sorted out now and I've explained why I stated incorrect information by mistake.

20. motionoftheocean

I think it's sort of implied that most folks who've been here for a while are aware that lukpac is the resident Who expert. regardless, noname74 was being a bit of a jerk.

21. jsayers

[​IMG]

lukpac likes this.
  22. Who is that? (Pardon the pun)

23. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

ok, after clearing some thing ups and getting my Excell skills on ;), here's the differences of the various My Generation versions (iTunes Mono, iTunes Stereo, Hi-Res Mono, Hi-Res Stereo, 2008 Japanese Mono CD, 2002 Stereo Deluxe Edition CD). For people who might want to buy only a few tracks individually.

MONO
    "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhwere" (French EP) - iTunes-only, same recording as "Alternate Version" from the stereo albums, likely a needledrop of the French EP. Not on 2008 Japanese CD or Hi-Res.
    "Instant Party Mixture" - iTunes and Hi-Res only. Not on 2008 Japanese CD. Unclear if new mix or 60s.
    "Circles" (Alternate Mix) - 2008 Japanese CD only. Not on iTunes or available as Hi-Res.

STEREO
    "Daddy Rolling Stone" (Alternate Version) - iTunes and Hi-Res only. Not on 2002 Stereo Deluxe Edition CD.
    "Out In The Streets" (Alternate Version) - iTunes and Hi-Res only. Not on 2002 Stereo Deluxe Edition CD.
    "The Kids Are Alright" (Alternate Version) - iTunes and Hi-Res only. Not on 2002 Stereo Deluxe Edition CD.
    "Anytime You Want Me" (A Capella Version) - 2002 Stereo Deluxe Edition CD only. Not on iTunes or available as Hi-Res.

and of course the 2014 Stereo My Generation features the 2014 Stereo Mixes while the Deluxe Edition CD features the 2002 Talmy Stereo Mixes of all songs.

kevin5brown, getitgoin and lukpac like this.
  24. motionoftheocean

thanks for the great post. where does the 2011 SHM-SACD fit into this?

25. jsayers

I really don't know - the gif file floating around on the net is very popular, I used to post it here until the new forum rules took effect. You can google "guy laughing gif" and he always comes up. It's a silent gif and always cracks me up.
    Here's the gif file :
    http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view7/2906046/laughing-old-guy-o.gif

He's also here starting at the 1 minute mark - not sure if the goofy sounding laughter is really his or not :

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/781410/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.