The Who - 2014 Remasters (HDTracks/iTunes)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RobCooper, Nov 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What's that got to do with The Who releases on HDtracks and iTunes?

Does anyone know if the CD copy of the Deluxe Edition of Who's Next is sourced from the same 24/96 master that is available on HDtracks? It sounds like it is.

2. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

nothing at all. just someone else being a clown. happens a lot.

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The DE came out in 2003. Completely different mastering, as well as mixes of the bonus material.

4. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I believe you asked me, so I responded. That was a mistake, obviously. :rolleyes:

5. The bonus material on the CD edition of the DE of Who's Next is definitely remixed as it says in the CD booklet which I have right in front of me now. So the New York Record Plant Sessions and the concert from the Young Vic from April 1971 have been remixed again for the HDtracks release? I can understand it being new remastering but I am wondering why they would do new remixes again for the HDtracks release when they were done for the CD release back in 2003. They sounded fine as they were.

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The material was mixed for the CD.

It was remixed for the downloads because the CD mixes were not hi-res. The new mixes are less edited.

7. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

WN essential in the download format, IMO.

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  8. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

as far as I know that one only had the album tracks + "Circles" in mono and in 2002 Shel Talmy Stereo.

9. OK, thanks for the info.

10. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange Thread Starter

Add the instrumental takes of My Generation. The 2002 CD has the released take, the iTunes and HD Tracks has an earlier take. :)

11. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Haven't got the capability. :shrug:

12. RobCooper

And whilst I remember, the 2012 SHM CD has Anywhere Anyhow Anywhere without backing vocals, which is not available on any other release.

Timjosephuk likes this.
  13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

You don't have a computer?

Can't recall what the 2008 has, but the original SACD has that mix too.

RobCooper likes this.
  14. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

Can you post a link to that CD? I could only find a SHM version that has the album tracks + "Circles" in mono and 2002 stereo.

15. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

the 2008 CD has only the regular mono mix of the song

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

We're talking about stereo, not mono.

17. RobCooper

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICY-94802

Out of stock though.

18. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

Ooooh, sorry.

19. motionoftheocean

that's the one I have. I've not been able to find a 2012 version for sale.

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Multiple copies are on eBay, albeit not cheap.

21. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Okay, my next frontier in making sense of the Who's tattered discography is trying to account for all the different mixes of the first album and other Talmy-era releases (and identify best physical sources, where available). I'm making halting progress, so please let me know if this is basically correct. (Some specific questions in italics).

The original My Generation album has been released in three different mixes:
    - original mono (best source: Japanese SHM-CD, disc one)
    - 2002 Talmy stereo mix (best source: 2002 Deluxe CD; also available on Japanese SHM-CD, disc two, but this substitutes the full length versions of 'I Don't Mind' and 'The Good's Gone') N.B. lead guitar overdubs missing from 'My Generation' and 'A Legal Matter'.
    - 2014 stereo remix (best source: HDTracks; also available on iTunes) N.B. 'My Generation' has new overdubs.

In addition to these three versions of the whole album, there are also the following alternate mixes / edits:

MONO
    The Kids Are Alright (US edit) - (best source: The Who Sings My Generation CD)

STEREO
    Out in the Street (alternate) - 2014 digital releases
    I Don't Mind (full length, Talmy mix) - 2002 Deluxe CD; Japanese SHM-CD, disc two
    I Don't Mind (full length, 2014 remix) - 2014 digital releases
    The Good's Gone (full length, Talmy mix) - 2002 Deluxe CD; Japanese SHM-CD, disc two
    The Good's Gone (full length, 2014 remix) - 2014 digital releases
    My Generation (instrumental) - 2002 Deluxe CD
    My Generation (alternate instrumental) - 2014 digital releases
    The Kids Are Alright (alternate) - 2014 digital releases

As for the early single tracks, they follow a similar pattern, with three mixes available:
    - original mono (best source: Japanese SHM-CD, disc one) Q: Am I recalling correctly that the Who Sings My Generation CD is a superior source for Instant Party (Circles)?
    - 2002 Talmy stereo mix (best source: Japanese SHM-CD, disc two). N.B. Tambourine overdubs missing from 'I Can't Explain' and there is no stereo version of the single take of 'Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere' (Q: is this correct?)
    - 2014 stereo remix (best source: HDTracks; also available on iTunes). N.B. New tambourine overdubs on 'I Can't Explain' and there is still no stereo version of the single take of 'Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere'

Plus the additional oddities:
    MONO
    Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere (alternate) - originally issued on French EP, now available on iTunes
    Circles (alternate) - Japanese SHM-CD, disc one

STEREO
    Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere (alternate) - 2002 Deluxe CD
    Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere (alternate, no backing vocals) - Japanese SHM-CD, disc two
    Daddy Rolling Stone (alternate) - 2014 digital releases
    Anytime You Want Me (a capella) - 2002 Deluxe CD

I haven't figured out all the ins and outs of the outtakes yet, but I believe there are three different stereo mixes of most of them (Who's Missing / Two's Missing mixes; Talmy mixes; 2014 mixes) in addition to the mono. Q: Were any of the b-sides included on Who's Missing / Two's Missing also issued in unique stereo mixes?

kevin5brown and kolive like this.
  22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The following 6 tracks were issued on Who's/Two's Missing in stereo with vintage mixes:

Leaving Here
    Lubie
    I'm A Man (edited)
    Daddy Rolling Stone
    Heatwave
    Motoring

Note that Leaving Here and Daddy Rolling Stone have the correct overdubs, unlike the modern remixes.

And yes, no stereo mix of Anyway Anyhow Anywhere with the correct vocals.

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

FYI, the 2008 box has the same mix as the Deluxe Edition, with the backing vocals.

RobCooper likes this.
  24. pernod

pernod Forum Resident

I downsampled the Young Vic material from the HD download to burn on CD and noticed in spectral view that it was upsampled from 44.1kHz to 96kHz. It does sound nicer and less amplified than on De Luxe edition from 2003.

25. motionoftheocean

can you post an image file to support this? I'm sure many people here would be very interested.

Quadboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.