The Who 50th Anniversary Tour: 2014-2017 and more! *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by reb, May 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reb

reb Money Beats Soul Thread Starter

Townshend says the band will play U.K. dates in December followed by North American dates in 2015.

"It will be a world tour. I'm not crazy about going on the road, but I'm in good shape and once I start doing it -- and I'm still very good at it -- I'll take some pleasure from it," Townshend told Billboard. Pete is also combing through his archives to find material for a potential new Who album, "I'm trying to [look] through my 20,000 hours of complete and utter disorganized music [to find possible songs]. I'll be pulling some songs out of [his long-gestating project] 'Floss' to give to Roger [Daltrey] to see if we've got enough to make an album. It might be a big waste of time, but I'm hoping there will be an album."

Bolero, PhoffiFozz, Hep Alien and 4 others like this.
  2. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Same old Pete.

lobo, Kermit27, wavethatflag and 6 others like this.
  3. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

It really doesn't sound like The Who without Entwistle. But if we get one more album, hopefully Rabbit, Zak, and Pino will be on the entire album.

zeuhl, bagofsoup, Dave Hoos and 3 others like this.
  4. RMB77

RMB77 Well-Known Member

I hear the Beatles rhythm section is available.

5. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The Whotles?

6. dee

dee Senior Member

Possibly one of those early UK dates could be a TCT charity concert? (Pure speculation on my part). That would be cool though.

7. rck60s

rck60s Well-Known Member

I hope they do this with the same energy level that they did Quadrophenia...The show I saw was fantastic.....

8. dee

dee Senior Member

I would anticipate that, but Quadrohpenia allowed Roger to have some extended vocal rests with Pete singing a lot and with the additional instrumentals the band performed, so, it's going to be more difficult for him.

9. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I believe Rabbit retired.

10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The writing was on the wall that the band was going to promote its 50th Anniversary. If they added some intriguing songs from the catalogue, I might be compelled to see a show of the prices were reasonable. But if it is another "hits" extravaganza, then I'll pass -- I have enough encore series releases to fulfill any need I might have from time to time to hear modern-day Who live performances.

That said, while Townshend has mentioned trying to put together another album with Daltrey in the past, I will support his efforts to do so if he truly combs through his archives for suitable material. Endless Wire was decent and I would certainly find another album of songs by Townshend and Daltrey worth exploring.

Still, I would like to see some sort of archival set released with remaining vault gems; or at the least, a proper reissue campaign with the original mixes of the band's albums put back in print at reasonable prices.

11. reb

I started this thread because my Son told me he heard some type of announcement on the radio today about this tour. There is nothing on the official website yet. So I Googled and found the Billboard info posted above.

dee likes this.
  12. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Their website always seems to be a little behind. :shh: Tickets for Who shows has really gone through the roof these last 10 years, so I guess I'll have to start saving up now. And it would really be nice if they could play some of the older more obscure songs, but we know I'm dreaming ... but I know it's all hot air. :sigh:

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  13. dee

dee Senior Member

Article dated 4/16/14?

14. reb

It was definitely from April.

But just to clarify. A Who song was playing on the radio today. After the song ended, my Son heard the dj make a promotional statement about the tour.

dee likes this.
  15. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Great news. More power to Pete and Roger.

footlooseman and Carserguev like this.
  16. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I've been saying that for years. LOL

How about The BeatWho's

beatleswho likes this.
  17. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

That's me!! haha

If they tour again, this time they must come to South America, they deserve that to our people!

john lennonist likes this.
  18. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

C'mon Pete, you've made all of one album in the past 21 years. Don't go overdoing it!

Hep Alien and WhoTapes1 like this.
  19. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

He was fired. Don't know the details, but Rabbit indicated as much in a blog post a few years ago.

Fullbug likes this.
  20. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Reb, awesome news. I love it, and can't wait to get tickets.

I love these guys and am glad they keep going. The Quad show I saw last year (or before?) was fantastic. I was at 12.12.12, and somehow they were the highlight of the night.....with the Boss, Stones and Sir Paul playing.

The Who 2015 :pineapple:

reb likes this.
  21. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I have come close to seeing The Who but it never worked out. I would be up for correcting that this time around if they come near to me.

Clanceman and reb like this.
  22. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Please do. Elite of the elite of living legends. God, we're lucky to have these guys still goin'!

JoeRockhead, Carserguev and tonyc like this.
  23. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Hope I'm Old Before I Get Deadâ„¢

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  24. serge

serge Forum Resident

gosh Pete sounds so excited.... its contagious..

reverberationmusic likes this.
  25. I'll go. Probably the last venture for the guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.