The Who By Numbers appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dog Ear, Feb 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Was rather dissapointed by this album on release and for many years afterwards.

Nowadays I really appreciate the songwriting and performances, probably play it more often than any other Who cd.

Herman Schultz, Steve G and audiotom like this.
  2. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I've just never warmed to this record which, IIRC, may have the best sonics of any Who LP. There's "Slip Kid" and . . . a bunch of other songs.

3. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

I don't think it is their greatest work, but I love it. I think "Squeeze Box" is a significant problem in evaluating its overall quality because it's such an idiotic, novelty song. I'm with you on "Slip Kid," though. It's a sensational song. I never get tired of the "whoosh" of Pete's guitar as he comes in over the rhythm track at the beginning. It's a shame they never really mastered it as a live number.

4. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

There really is some brilliant playing on this record. I believe it to be the transition from the pomp of Who's Next and Quadrophenia to the band of Who Are You, Face Dances, and It's Hard. We still get some great playing from Moon. I would not put this record in front of Quadrophenia, Who's Next and Tommy. 6.5/10

5. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Better sonics then Qudrophenia, really?

6. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

The version which I have---which despite things I wrote earlier in this thread IS the original MCA, not the 96 one with bonus tracks---sounds TERRIBLE recording quality wise, so muted and sepia and grey, especially harms John's playing which I can hear is excellent but sounds like it is recorded just coming through the walls from him playing next door.

Dog Ear likes this.
  7. '...by Numbers' is my favourite Who album, believe it or not!

Steve G, quicksrt and ohnothimagen like this.
  8. G E

G E Senior Member

1973-1977 was a wonderful time for new music. And it just happened to coincide with my college years.

The stars and planets don't align like that too often.

andybeau likes this.
  9. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

This album IMO is like, say, Presence, Drama, or And Then There Were Three. Deservedly not as well regarded as the iconic albums by the respective bands. But surprisingly rewarding, especially to someone who has heard the popular albums a few too many times.

Slip Kid and Blue, Red, and the Grey are the two standouts for me.

10. Dog Ear

Dog Ear The 2nd Protects The 1st Thread Starter

A bit surprised by the general disdain for Squeeze Box by many of the posts on this thread. The Who's whimsical side was obviously more apparent in the '60s, and I'm glad it re-emerged on this album. Townshend has said he was surprised the band chose such a lightweight song to record. Listening to his demo of the ditty, he sure put a lot of work into it prior to serving it up to his bandmates. Typical insufferable Townshend, saying one thing but wanting something else.

Fast forward to 2014 when what's left of The Who recorded the single Be Lucky. As recording artists, this quite possibly is the last tune that will come out of this band. If it is, I'm glad it ended with a fun, punchy tune.

11. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

I've been listening to this album since about 1980 0r so. How Many Friends is one of the great unknown Who songs.

I had to get the album out and listen to it after seeing this thread.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  12. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Great point.

And it is very much like Pictures of Lily, isn't it? Or Mary Anne with the shaky hands. A fun little dirty joke that not only can make it to the radio, but you can play in front of sensitive ears.

Herman Schultz and Dog Ear like this.
  13. getitgoin

getitgoin Forum Resident

I just noticed that my Polydor copy of By Numbers says "mixed at Island Studios"
    but my MCA copy says "mixed at Island Studios and Sunset Sound".
    I looked through a few Who books I have and there is no mention of Sunset Sound (which I think is in Los Angeles).

Was this LP partially mixed in LA?
    If so what part and why?

14. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I love the album, though I agree it's not their best work. But it's a good return to form and if you recall, it had been a long wait since there had been a real, new Who album. Odds and Sods didn't really count (though I loved it), so really The Who By Numbers was the first real new album since Quadrophenia. I like Who Are You and bits and pieces of Face Dances and It's Hard, but The Who By Numbers was the last consistently good Who album for me.

slipkid and J_D__ like this.
  15. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

Great album! I bought it when it first came out. Loved it then and love it now.

The last great Who album for me.

16. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

I like it. Has sort of a...

[​IMG]

17. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Great thread idea.
    Great album.
    Probably my favorite Who album after Who's Next.

Herman Schultz and Zoot Marimba like this.
  18. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Other than Squeezebox, which I guess somehow serves some ephemereal purpose, the songs are all good to great. Beyond 'SlipKid' - "How Many Friends", "Dreaming From The Waist", "However Much I Booze", "They're All in Love", "Imagine a Man". They reflect a skilled and inspired writer who insn't trying to outwrite himself or cater to a concept. No it's not "Who's Next" but it's about a solid an album as one could reasonably expect from the Who at that point.

19. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

It is indeed great, both lyrically and in Daltrey's performance. And hardly anyone even knows it. Outside of this forum, anyway.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It's a good example of a skilled and inspired songwriter and of a band with more than a decade of musical chemistry on display. Many folks don't know or care about band chemistry, but if one does, then it is apparent from the first 20 seconds of the album. I knew it when I was 14 years old, it had that thing.

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Shows off Pete's finger picking and banjo skills beautifully, I like it.

Herman Schultz and dee like this.
  22. getitgoin

getitgoin Forum Resident

Another question:

The liner notes of the 96 remix CD say that the original By Numbers LP pressings were numbered in both the UK and US.
    My Polydor LP is numbered but my MCA LP is not despite the fact that it's a W1/W2 pressing.
    And I don't think I've ever seen a US numbered copy.

Does anybody have a US numbered copy?
    Does anybody have a US W1/W1 that is not numbered?

23. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

Cameron Crowe does. It was the featured song in one of the episodes of his television series, "Roadies." Most of the episodes featured a well known musician, and this one featured Jim James. He sang the song at the end of the episode.

Kiss73, dee and tdavis0903 like this.
  24. tdavis0903

tdavis0903 Forum Resident

That was a wonderful episode, I miss Roadies. The way they worked the song into to the story, and I was stunned when they went that deep catalog but not surprised with Crowe's love of The Who. Brought me to tears. Shoot, I miss Mick's Vinyl series too, both canned after one season.

I love The Who By Numbers! Prefer the original mix by way of the Japanese SHM-CD (one of the few not given an SACD treatment?) or the HDtracks versions. For years though was used to the Astley remix, which has it's moments. All four guys have major highlights, then throw in Glyn Johns production and Nicky Hopkins, a midlife crisis never sounded so good. John's cover is iconic and whimsical and they followed the release with two years of amazing live shows and the Tommy movie, insane but still entertaining.

I spent $1400 for hotel, flight, and 8th row ticket to the last Vegas show and it was well worth it. Squeeze Box got a great reception. And one of the most moving Naked Eye versions in years.

quicksrt and Dog Ear like this.
  25. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Quad, then By Numbers. Then the rest.

tedg65, ohnothimagen and quicksrt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.