The Who concert in the gym at my high school

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wwaldmanfan, Apr 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's Thread Starter

I wrote about this event in the Cream thread, but wanted to share some additional details. The Who played in the gymnasium at Union Catholic High School, in Scotch Plains, NJ on Nov. 29, 1967, during one of their first American tours. Obviously, they were not well known in the USA at that time. This was before "Tommy". "The Who Sell Out", had just come out.

Scotch Plains, the small, suburban NJ town where I live, is not noted for anything, besides a local restaurant, The Stage House Inn, which was a tavern during the American Revolution. George Washington is said to have eaten there.

A few Who fans on the Union Catholic Student Council were responsible for organizing this event as a fundraiser for the school, and convinced the faculty of Chrtistian Marist Brothers to go along with the idea. The Who were paid $1,300 for the show. They played a one-hour set, and then destroyed their instruments on stage. The remnant of Townshend's smashed guitar, a Coral Hornet, which he had purchased at Manny's Music on 48th St. in NYC a few days before, is shown below.

Besides their fee, the band was provided with sandwiches and soft drinks from local sub shop Duke's Deli in Westfield. If you are from this area, you'd remember it. The band eschewed the sodas in favor of a large quantity of hard liquor, which they brought with them. Before their performance, the band waited in the teacher's lounge, where they tried to pick up some high school girls and take them back to the tour bus. They were good Catholic schoolgirls, so the band was not successful.

The Who concert went well, raising $6,000 for the school. As a result, other rock bands were hired to play at Union Catholic, notably Cream, on March 26, 1968. The Jimi Hendrix Experience was booked to perform as well, but the faculty cancelled that show when they heard about Jimi's wild man onstage antics. What actually happened, unfortunately, was that they confused Jimi with Jim Morrison of The Doors, who exposed himself, and was arrested at a Florida concert. So, as a teenager, I missed out on seeing Jimi Hendrix play at the high school less than a mile from my house.

Other concerts that were held at UCHS between 1968 and 1971 included The Lovin' Spoonful, The Association, Vanilla Fudge, Chicago, Iron Butterfly, Steppenwolf, and Blood Sweat & Tears. The final rock concert held at Union Catholic H.S. was none other than Black Sabbath, on February 21, 1971. I'm sure Black Sabbath did not play at many Catholic schools or churches in those days!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

Do you still have that piece of guitar?

3. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Nice piece of rock history. :)

RAM Master Brazil likes this.
  4. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Wow. That's the first I've heard of the Coral Hornet. That Bass looks pretty unusual too.

5. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

Great story. Thanks for sharing!

6. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's Thread Starter

A kid named Bart Koster ended up with that, not me. I swiped the pic off the internet.

Big Pasi likes this.
  7. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

wwaldmanfan likes this.
  8. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Wow, do I wish I went to your high school!

Zeki likes this.
  9. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Great story, thanks for sharing.

Your little high school had better concerts than my huge college (Penn State)!

Zeki likes this.
  10. AleYeah

AleYeah Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing this cool story.

11. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Thanks for sharing:)

12. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

Great story. Thanks for letting us in on it.

13. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Wow what a cool piece of music history! Thanks for the story

14. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Thoroughly excellent

15. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I find the whole idea of high school concerts like this really fascinating. The Ramones played at my school a few years before I went there, and before that there was another area school that had the Doors and the Yardbirds among others. It seems incredible now.

Was this really common at one time? I wonder how this even happened and why it stopped happening. Maybe it was just because the touring business hadn't really developed and bands played wherever they could.

16. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

Great tale.

The Who played my teen club in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., about the same time. Couple hundred people. I walked right up and leaned on the stage right next to Townshend, who said hello to me when he came on. They were amazing, of course. This was about the time of "A Quick One."

My guitar-playing friend Bill tried to grab the guitar Townshend trashed and the roadie came out and fought with him. Finally, the roadie just shoved the guitar neck into his forehead. Bill went down and out like a light and woke up backstage with the band all gathered around him.

Townshend told my friend that he had to trash the guitar again the next night -- they glued them back together -- but would mail him the remains after that. My friend waited by the mailbox for a long long time ...

The club was Code One, site of many amazing shows.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  17. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Janis Joplin and Big Brother played the prom at my high school a few years before I went there.

Apparently while the band was taking a break, one of the teachers strolled out to the parking lot where the band was hanging out and smelled a strange aroma... :winkgrin:

They were promptly told to leave... end of show.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    footlooseman and hi_watt like this.
  18. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Oh yea?...the Escape Club played at my high school in the late 80s! :edthumbs:

hi_watt likes this.
  19. rwil

rwil Well-Known Member

Boxcar Willie played at my high school. Too bad all you got were The Who, Cream, and Black Sabbath.

CusBlues, footlooseman, Zeki and 4 others like this.
  20. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

at my school in the '90s, all we got was those "anti drug teen band" touring troupes. part teenage alternative rock concert, part "don't do drugs" pep rally. completely cringeworthy.

21. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Great story. My high school had The Doors, Mountain and Don McClean I remember.

footlooseman, Zeki and slipkid like this.
  22. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Suzie hoffs and the former head of Sony pictures went to my high school. Fwiw

23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Another great story!

24. getitgoin

getitgoin Forum Resident

There's a whole book about this show.

dee, Turmatic, reb and 2 others like this.
  25. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Awesome story. You've gotta wonder what the band was thinking, shifting gears from the clubs, etc. in the UK to suburban U.S. schools.

Aerosmith apparently played my high school in May of '73... and then the Joe Perry Project worked the same circuit 10 years later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.