The Who Fillmore East 1968

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whodanny, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Awesome CD:cheers:

2. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Some thoughts after listening to the entire album. The band is really playing on the edge through much of this, which adds a lot of excitement to songs we have in multiple other settings (A Quick One, Shakin' All Over, My Generation) even if they aren't as tightly structured, they are adventurous and often thrilling. The 33 minute My Generation is a complete sonic mayhem of goodness, better to forget the Leeds version when listening and just go with it. And Relax, wow! Why did they drop that one?
    Final observation: Pete abandoned the Fender Stratocaster shortly after this, but he makes great use of the whammy bar on many occasions here, which I've never heard him do in studio, or later shows. Of course he compensated somewhat by bending back the lightweight neck of the Gibson SG during the 70's, getting a kind of wavering effect similar, but not the same, as the Fender vibrato. So glad this has come out - it fills a missing, essential gap in the Who discography.

mbleicher1, dee, mw1917 and 5 others like this.
  3. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

They're a virtual monopoly, and they don't care. I wouldn't trust them to ship vinyl at all, but unless you can walk into a brick-and-mortar shop that has it in stock or order through one, Amazon might be your only option.

The vinyl has "Miles Abbey Road Room 30" in the deadwax. Not sure if that means anything to anyone.

I really hope this isn't a one-off, and they keep 'em coming.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  4. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

Sheeze ! Hopefully some recycling is happening afterwards to mitigate this ...

I got mine from amazonUK but it was in minimal packaging, all was good ...
    £12.24 with shipping = $18.11
    and I received it in Hawaii faster than I was expecting based on things I've been reading here.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    Scope J likes this.
  5. That’s exactly how mine shipped from the UK to Seattle.

chacha and Scope J like this.
  6. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah, mine too except the CD was buried UNDER all the wrapping paper. I had to hunt for it and hope there was something in the box other than the filler!

Dave Hoos, Scope J and footlooseman like this.
  7. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Mine too! It was so ridiculous I made an "unboxing video" for a friend of mine.

PIGGIES, Scope J and slipkid like this.
  8. Maybe they are sneaking folks into America in those big boxes. :tiphat:

9. The second British Invasion?:laugh:

10. dee

dee Senior Member

Didn't realize what a bummer it would really be flipping sides in the middle of MG, but it was! On first listen, have been totally immersed in the musical dynamics and forward momentum. Side 5 was a doozy. Was a little surprised at the musicality of the improvisation and the sustained energy of it. The fade out at the end of Side 5 was fine as was the fade in to begin Side 6 but the break up isn't amicable to the performance. I'm thinking on the surface the fades make a segue of the two sides more difficult than if a clean break between the two may have been. So, I like what I've heard on Side 6 but I kind of lost the continuity of the performance.

Still waiting on the cd's from amazon uk.

What I heard on Side 5 was also what sounded to me at times like variations of a theme on Shakin' All Over, with a vague hint of Summertime Blues and maybe a hair of Boris etc. however more interesting to me was what resminded me for a minute or two, during one of the secrtions when John took the lead, was something akin to 5:15, or sparks of the bass solo that would become part of it. Don't have the times on that section that briefly made me think of 5:15 even circa 1973, but the whole piece was more musical, explosive, and interesting than I was anticipating. Should have known better! Essential Who as far as I'm concerned fwiw. The vinyl seemed nearly perfect to me, very pleased with it, except for the inevitable and unavoidable interruption.

11. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

I was really surprised that Mojo only gave this 3 stars (out of 5). I mean, really...

12. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

After listening to this I never realized how much Moon hits the snare. It's not a two/four thing. It's as much as his other hand is hitting the cymbal.

anth67 and Mark Wilson like this.
  13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

FYI, I contacted uDiscover Music about the missing 12x12 print, and this is what they said:

"Unfortunately we have run out of our stock of this product and we are unable to arrange a replacement for you."

It's unclear how they could have run out when I had pre-ordered almost 2 months in advance, but regardless, they gave a full refund. So I guess free isn't so bad.

14. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Mine also arrived in the oversized packaging from Amazon.uk. I figure the box could hold around 30 of the sets.
    I hunted around for the link for packaging feedback but came up empty.

15. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

It's there, but you have to dig through a LOT of crumpled brown paper.

zakyfarms likes this.
  16. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Mine came in the super-sized packaging as well. I order from Amazon.co.uk fairly often but never saw anything like this before.

Meanwhile, today I played the second disc with My Generation in the car. Imagine my surprise when the vehicle's media player interpreted what it was playing as this (pardon the dog hair and dust on the screen - the canines had just been dropped off :laugh:):

[​IMG]

marmalade166, aoxomoxoa and marmil like this.
  17. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

My recycle bin is full now. Thanks Amazon UK

18. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Odd :)

Strange as the set does have cd-text – Band / Title + CD1 / CD2 / Song title

frank3si likes this.
  19. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Got my longbox last week too. I thought I ordered windshield wipers and forgot about it or something. :p

20. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Listened to disc one in the car today. Very enjoyable and good sq.

dee and J_D__ like this.
  21. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

Listened to both discs yesterday while driving. Very enjoyable. The "My Generation" disc is really interesting. Parts of it remind me of the jam section in the "Join Together" medley from '75. Several times I went back to relisten to certain parts.

Essential.

22. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

I'm hearing a hint of Cream in the jam. Sounded like Pete wanted to break into Sunshine of Your Love at one point.

izgoblin likes this.
  23. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

They mention that in the notes but, John was trying to lead into Sunshine of your Love.

24. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

At what time in the song is that?

25. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I stand corrected. It is Pete who leads in SOYL at 9'45

dee and vinyldreams like this.