The Who Fillmore East 1968

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whodanny, Feb 13, 2018.

1. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Unfortunately the audience recording is incomplete & doesn’t include My Generation - it ends after My Way.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    dee, czeskleba and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Where did you hear that?

3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Factoring in sales tax, the vinyl is currently $15.50 less shipped from the UK as compared to amazon US to my address.

dee, WhoTapes1, chacha and 1 other person like this.
  4. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Or worse.....

5. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Do price and sound quality always go hand in hand?

izgoblin, jlf, jay.dee and 1 other person like this.
  6. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I wonder if there will be a RSD release and if it will be any different.

dee likes this.
  7. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

For those that missed when I posted it before in this thread, here's the info text that came with the audience recording

01. Substitute (2'09)
    02. Pictures Of Lily (2'37)
    03. Relax (10'53)
    04. I'm A Boy (3'30)
    05. C'mon Everybody (2'59)
    06. A Quick One While He's Away (11'19)
    07. My Way (2'18)

Matthew Tate, czeskleba and WhoTapes1 like this.
  8. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Although of course I'd prefer improved sound, but with all the extra and unheard tracks I'd make do with the same sound as the bootleg tbh

Matthew Tate and Surferghost like this.
  9. ddhd

ddhd Forum Resident

Nice thread... place my UK pre-order thanx

chacha likes this.
  10. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

There is a Showco Facebook page.
    They posted a pic of the single tape machine on there and a story of the shows on it from the sound man by the machine.

11. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

Well I ordered the Record & CD :sigh:

12. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

This is not the sound from original 1970 Woodstock 3xLP set.

13. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

Yep, I think that now we have more details, the most important thing is that all those incomplete tracks on an already great-sounding boot seem to be complete on this release. Any sonic improvements will certainly be a bonus but it's no longer a deal-breaker for me.

14. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Fantastic

15. pool_of_tears

Exactly! It proves my point that the Woodstock performance was recorded just fine.

16. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

This his post.

Here's a great photo of Michael Garvey (SHOWCO electronic/recording engineer) with the SHOWCO 24 track Studer A80 that was used on The Who's 1979 tour. Michael remembers "Bob Pridden (The Who's principal sound engineer) hired Showco’s 24-track mobile recording Studer A80 for the infamous “Cincinnati” show in late 1979. I was the recording engineer on that tour and not only recorded the 24-track, 2″ tapes on the Studer, but used a Showco Superboard, a Crown DC-300 and a pair of JBL 4311s to mix down an unequalized/no-effects two track straight from the read heads to a half-tracked TEAC 3340 using 10″ reels running at 15ips. The reason being that Pete and/or Roger would often come in after a show and ask to hear certain songs from the night’s performance. Because of the horrible event in Cincinnati on Monday, December 3, 1979, I believe the group thought it prudent NOT to use the recordings and can only assume that Bob Pridden has them in a vault somewhere."

dee, Billy_Sunday, tdavis0903 and 5 others like this.
  17. pool_of_tears

That’s awesome information

Billy_Sunday and WhoTapes1 like this.
  18. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

The shows that almost weren't.
    John Morris (director, Fillmore East) : I was with Pete Townshend the night Martin Luther King was killed. We had a Who concert the next night at Fillmore East and we had to make the decision whether or not to go ahead with it. We went back and forth and back and forth. Being supposedly the politically aware one back then, I said "look there are to be thousands of people out on the street waiting to get in. We've got to play." And Pete agreed. He was sitting in the office, talking about violence and how he hated it. How he didn't understand what was going on in the world. I mean, we literally talked for two or three hours. Even then, he was one of the most eloquent, itelligent human beings. He was a pleasure. We decided to go ahead and do it. A lot of people were against it. But we did it.

They could of use this photo for the cover as it was shot earlier in the day on April 5th, but as we know it was famously used for something else. And supposedly they actually were asleep, exhausted from their drummers activities the previous night and apparently had to be awakened at the end of the shoot.

[​IMG]

19. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

For $12.26 U.S. with shipping, this was an insta-buy. I just hope it's not super-doctored.

20. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

The first time I saw this image, it was in The Movie Channel guide that the cable company sent my parents every month. I thought, "Look at the kids sleeping outside waiting for the concert to start." I didn't know this was the band. I had heard the Who on the radio and really liked them right away and was just getting familiar with their whole thing. When I saw the movie, I was blown away. I think I was 13 yrs. old.

21. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

So I guess these 24 track recordings are the recordings that John Atkins aka “Oates” saw in the log book when he was lucky enough to enter the Who’s audio “vault”.

dee and Detroit Music Fan like this.
  22. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

That's about my story also. And then I saw the booklet for The Kids Are Alright and dreamed about having those drums.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

I was 12 in 1979 and it was also my intro to the band. It was love at first sight (and sound!) I wonder just how many second generation Who fans did that movie spawn? It had to be a ton.

24. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Yes, but the accompanying photo of the console only has 1 tape recorder...........so how can they be complete?

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  25. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Imagine seeing that movie for the first time when it came out in 1979 and at the same time having tickets in hand to see The Who that year for the first time! Imagine the anticipation (it was almost that way for me, but didn’t get to see them until 1980).