The Who Fillmore East 1968

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whodanny, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

The CD has gone up to £10.99 on Amazon UK now, I'm glad I pre-ordered so early.

2. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

A bargain even at the price, imho. Subtract the VAT and it's even cheaper than that for US buyers.

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  3. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Better served in compiling an exhaustive release featuring any and all of the footage of live performances from '65 / '67 (following a pleading / begging letter to Dave Clark!) plus any audio-only live material from the time.

Can't BELIEVE I've read that......... :help:

4. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

I’m usually really hesitant and skeptical when it comes to new releases. In fact, I don’t think I’ve enjoyed the sound of a newly remastered cd (excluding MFSL) since the 2014 release of George Harrison’s Wonderwall Music which blew away the old 1992 Japanese disc.

This thread got me heavily back into The Who Sell Out album (which I can’t stop listening to over and over again) and the Shakin’ All Over boot. I had forgotten how HEAVY and POWERFUL the 1968 Fillmore East performances were. But as good as the boot sounds, it’s trebley and distorted. So while I pray the official release will sound better with solid DR, at the very least we can finally hear it in its entirety...or at least as “entire” as it can be.

I’m stoked! Can’t wait!

5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It is amazing that the band sat on the Fillmore East tapes for 50 years.

6. Hillel abramov

Hillel abramov Forum resident

7. Hillel abramov

Hillel abramov Forum resident

And who knows on how many more tapes the band are still sitting on.

jay.dee, Matthew Tate, J_D__ and 3 others like this.
  8. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I would LOVE that, there's a fair bit out there from the Railway Hotel, the Marquee, Sweden and others - probably cost the earth to license it all tho :cry:

I'm afraid I never listen to Tommy, very rarely listen to Who's Next and never listen to the later albums - I just don't like their bombastic sound after Who Sell Out. As for live I listen plenty to Leeds and the non Tommy tracks from the '69 US Tommy tour - but after that for me their live sound didn't change enough to make it worth checking them out. If the SF '71 gig came out I'd get it but would probably only listen a couple of times

Benn Kempster likes this.
  9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Never heard this before. Sounds like Pete is playing an SG, correct?

10. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

Well, I can see the logic. After 1969 Tommy overshadowed almost everything else in a live setting. Yes, it saved the band and they probably wouldn't have lasted as long as they did without it, but it also stifled them on stage having to devote a significant portion of their live set to it for such a long period of time. Every post-Tommy live release with Moon would include a hefty chunk of it, and by 1975 it was back to taking up almost half a set again thanks to the movie. If you love the band but Tommy's not your thing, then it gets a little repetitive. A Woodstock release would be fine, more as a historical document than anything, but otherwise, personally I'm more than full on live Tommy stuff. I don't need any more servings.

They should give some of The Who's other material a fighting chance, like they thankfully are with this show. It's just as good, if not better.

11. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

How about a 4-disc, complete, SFC '71 replete with "excerpts"?

12. chacha

What is SFC?

13. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

San Francisco........

14. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

San Fran Cisco

Mazzy likes this.
  15. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

More specifically, San Francisco Civic......as in the Auditorium the played at.

16. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

That's Entwistle beefing up the sound- Pete played an olympic white Strat the first night.

chacha likes this.
  17. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I'm excited about the release of this show because it's pre-Thomas, which I'm sick of. As Surferghost said above, it's about time the earlier (superior in my opinion) material got a fair shake.

18. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

Minimal Tommy, absolutely fine. :)

19. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Yeah I’ve heard enough live Tommy. Bring on the good stuff

20. chacha

Hmm, I was at one of those shows and thought they were lousy. The other night is supposed to be great people say. The Civic is a terrible sounding room. Keith couldn’t play to the Next tape tracks. I thought they sounded drunk.

21. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Blimey......never heard *ANYONE* with this opinion before now.......... Have you heard the material that has been released so far and does it resemble anything close to what you experienced? "Won't Get Fooled Again" is absolutely STELLAR.

tedg65 and Detroit Music Fan like this.
  22. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

It's The Who. They probably were drunk other than Daltrey who would have been high on hash instead.

23. I’ve never seen/heard a great sounding show at the SFCivic (now Bill Graham Auditorium). The Band, The Who, Chicago, Dylan. Crappy sound.

chacha likes this.
  24. The only gig I ever saw there was a fantastic set by Sonny Rollins back in October of '97. Didn't notice any sound issues - maybe it just works better for non-rock acts...

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  25. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

FYI, Burning Shed's page not only lists the triple-LP's tracks, but also the track durations.

https://burningshed.com/the-who_live-at-the-fillmore-east-1968_vinyl?filter_tag=the who

Looking at the setlist...

The Who Setlist at Fillmore East, New York

... the first two songs performed are missing from the new album: Substitute and Pictures of Lily. Wondering why, since some of the LP sides are pretty short, and they probably could have fit them on somehow... Maybe someone who has the bootleg can comment? I've never heard it...

Also, I'm a Boy is after Relax, not before as in the setlist - probably because of song length and fitting on an LP side.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Spadeygrove and Mook like this.