The Who Fillmore East 1968

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whodanny, Feb 13, 2018.

1. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Here's a nice cover shot.

Photo credit - Jim Marshall - late February 1968- San Francisco USA

[​IMG]

Jimijam, izgoblin, DrBeatle and 9 others like this.
  2. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

LOL! :laugh:

3. HappyFingers

HappyFingers Forum Resident

4. dee

dee Senior Member

:biglaugh:

5. dee

dee Senior Member

Is that also him 'signing off' on the sheet - P. TO?? Or is that at P.T.6, I can't make out if it's a O or a 6 or what that means....

6. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

I read it as P. TO. too. If it is a 6, it's very different from the 6 before "Little Billy", at least.

dee likes this.
  7. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

The 1989-tour was their 4-month long David Letterman house band-audition. Bill Curbishley got the rejection letter three days into the tour, but they had to finish it for contractual reasons.

mw1917, DrBeatle and dave-gtr like this.
  8. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

Reality check: that was my first Who tour, they seemed impossibly old, and now I’m 1-2 years older than them. Pete has more hair than me and it’s been years since I’ve worn a leather jacket without a shirt in public.

9. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

What were they doing there?

They appear to have zero respect for their own legacy and yet in later tours it seems they did.

10. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

The 1989 tour is my least favorite tour by the band, for so many reasons. I did, however, enjoy seeing Pete play Rickenbackers on stage for the first time since 1967, even if it wasn’t the trademark RIC sound.

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The funny thing is, I can actually picture a big band arrangement of the song working...if it was Otis Redding backed by the MGs.

12. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Awesome shot for that Keith Moon Band album cover. :D

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    reb, dee and marmalade166 like this.
  13. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

If it wasn't for Hey Joe from 1989, I'd burn all those recordings if I could.

Spadeygrove and bobcat like this.
  14. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Wow, that’s just awful. Makes me glad I didn’t see that tour. Lounge Who.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  15. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

The Who on Ice

slipkid, TFEC, Spadeygrove and 2 others like this.
  16. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

IMO- the Townshend solo tracks played on the 1989 tour are good.

Matthew Tate, dave-gtr, J_D__ and 2 others like this.
  17. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Amazon.it cancelled my order for Who Came First- due to a pricing error.

My order for - Fillmore vinyl / cd -still valid for now.

18. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

I feel the same way! That '89 tour was my first chance to see 'em and I jumped at the chance big time, flying from Hawaii to catch shows in Tacoma, Vancouver BC, L.A. and Oakland.... I even skipped Dead shows at the Berkeley Greek in favor of The Who -- that was an agonizing choice !
    .... and now I'm older than they were then, incredible...

Then later ..... I somehow let myself miss the 2000 tour, my only chance (as it turned out) to see a lean 5-man Who ... Big mistake.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  19. tdavis0903

tdavis0903 Forum Resident

I was 22 and working for the money to go back for another major in college, so I was not able to see the 1989 tour, money was scarce. They played 3 shows at Alpine Valley in southern Wisconsin, and while I'm sorry I missed it and would have enjoyed it, it was exciting to finally see Pete in action again at the incredible and crazy Phsychoderelict show in Chicago in 1993. The 1989 tour recordings are hit and miss, but like said above, some of the Pete solo songs and some rarities were worth hearing. I have to say I still get chills when Roger introduces Tommy in their return to the stage at Radio City Music Hall, the big band blasting into the Overture. I listened on Westwood One, same for the last show in Dallas on Labor Day, taping both and wearing out those cassettes. Naked Eye under any circumstances is brilliant, and I even came to enjoy Boltz Bolton on guitar.

From the '82 tour show I saw and loved to Live Aid to the couple BPI award show songs (not readily available pre-Internet of course) it was a long slog to 1989 for all Who fans. The big band sound was just disappointing, diluting what was once legendary. The Who's Missing and Two's Missing live tracks were a major highlight in the desert during that period, what once was from 1971.

And then, Pete's solo tour, then the Quadrophenia big band tour with some signs of Pete on electric, and then our prayers were answered, that crazy Internet show in 1999. I remember almost smashing my monitor on my Gateway (remember those???) trying to see and hear that show. If that scam hadn't happened, would they have come back at all like that as a 5-man? And now these last 19 years have flown by and vindicated all the love I had during those dark non-Who years! Excited for Fillmore '68!

JimSpark, dee, O Don Piano and 4 others like this.
  20. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The ‘89 tour is much maligned and some of it is certainly justified. It was massive and celebratory, and in that sense, it was appropriate because The Who were worth celebrating. Some of the arrangements were over-the-top and Townshend’s unwillingness to play much lead electric guitar was a disappointment, but Roger was in very good form — it was perhaps the last time he ever sounded that good because his voice began to deteriorate after the 1989 tour.

tdavis0903 and Jet Age Eric like this.
  21. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

I saw that tour at the Wembley Arena.

I was in the cheap and distant seats and the acoustics were so bad I was hearing more of the sound bouncing off the wall behind me than what was coming from the stage.

But, judging from the clip above, I didn't miss much.

The previous time I had seen them was at Charlton '74 so, all in all, a big disappointment.

I have seen them one time since - after Entwistle's death and in a much smaller venue (the Forum in Kentish Town, also in London) - and they were very good, not '74 good of course, but good enough.

dee, reb and DrBeatle like this.
  22. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

It was major for me, these guys were (and are) my favorite rock band. It was the summer before my senior year in high school and I saw both Philly shows. Only months before I was mourning never getting to see them live, and all of a sudden I’m seeing them play most of Tommy, all the hits, Tattoo, Join Together, Too Much Of Anything, Sister Disco, and songs from Empty Glass and White City! Insane.

23. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

White City?!!! -E

24. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

"Face The Face", "Give Blood" and "Secondhand Love" all happened, at least a few times ....

The Who Tour 1989 - Wikipedia

Matthew Tate likes this.