The Who Fillmore East 1968

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whodanny, Feb 13, 2018.

1. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Don't forget Lavender Hill!!

Surferghost likes this.
  2. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

+1

3. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

It's all psychedelic when the can of day-glo worms gets opened ..... ;)

4. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Fillmore East '68/Deep End Live! mash-up?

Sort of a non-sequitur, but I'm sure others here have seen Pete Townshend's Deep End • Face The Face video. Question: Why is the harmonica player the only person in the band still wearing the Slit Skirts-era outfit? I kind of feel bad for him for some reason.

5. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I meant All The Best Cowboys ...-era

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  6. Hiwatt

Hiwatt Active Member

It's certainly better than what Pete's wearing in that video :)

wavethatflag likes this.
  7. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

I'm currently compiling an archival album (cd set). We were quoted £400 to use a photo on the cd front cover and in general between 40 to 150 for photos used inside the booklet. This is for a limited 1000 run 2cd set. Licensing a 30 minute recording from a foreign broadcaster for use on this set cost £500 to give you an idea. I thought that was a bargain and very decent of them, the photo not so much on the part of the photo agency !
    I am now struggling to find a suitable cover photo. You know, a really good photo that screams front cover and won't take a pasting here (!) but 400 is too much under the circumstances. It's not like the dead photographer, the two dead guys in the band or the two alive guys in the band are getting anything of that £400 for this 54 year old photo. It would have logos / title on it and had been superbly colourised so it wasn't like the "owner" was going to "lose" the photo as such once the cd is out. That is a risk when a full frame photo is used, that it then ends up "free" on google images. I think it works out cheaper to have the photo in a high circulation newspaper / magazine than album cover which is a bit strange but hey ho.
    Unfortunately, that's the way it is and I'll just have to go with plan B. Fortunately I'm not desperate enough to call in the Hollywood Bowl / On Air cover team although they can probably afford a £400 photo. I daresay they'd be charged a whole lot more at ABKCO / Apple etc.... I was probably offered a "good deal" but it's funny how some photo libraries either don't know or won't tell you who the photographer is and have the wrong date and band member names attached to the photo. End of rant.

8. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

This wouldn't, perhaps, by the remotest of chances, be a set featuring all of the audio material held by broadcasters performed by The Who (1964-1968) would it............ :goodie:

jlf, DrBeatle, dee and 1 other person like this.
  9. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Please the unedited BBC version of Pictures Of Lily :goodie:

10. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

Have we gotten any sound samples of this new mix yet?

11. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

If we had, people on this thread wouldn't be discussing the clothing worn in the "Face The Face" video, or whether the Kinks' "Lavender Hill" is psychedelic...

12. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

With the crop of Who fans we have on this board (myself included), you can't be too sure about that...:laugh:;):D:cool:

13. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

No. Sorry.
    That's a very good idea though.
    It's not The Who, though not entirely unrelated.

marc with a c likes this.
  14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wow, I used to have that. I stupidly sold it for $10 (along with all my other LP bootlegs for same price, as well as the vast majority of my LP collection for less than 50 cents each). I had at least one other Fillmore LP boot as well.

dee, czeskleba and Oyster Boy like this.
  15. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

16. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

17. marmalade166

Hell Yeah!!! Cheers for this, every time someone has posted on this thread I've been hoping it's to announce sound samples - and finally we have one!

DrBeatle likes this.
  18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It has kind of an odd, scooped out sound, but thankfully it otherwise sounds ok, and definitely far cleaner than the bootleg.

Another Bob Pridden mix...sigh.

DrBeatle and J_D__ like this.
  19. marmalade166

Looking at the fb page they also posted this a few days ago, although I don't know which gig it's from

[​IMG]

andybeau, dee and CMcGeek like this.
  20. Hiwatt

Hiwatt Active Member

It sounds as though the guitar has a short delay added?It sounded like there were 2 guitars just before the second part of Johns bass solo?
    Edit.After listening to just the right channel it's actually natural slap back echo from the hall.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    dee and Mark Wilson like this.
  21. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

It's nice and brash but over-seperated. A more central stereo mix or clean mono would've given it more punch.

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The stereo spread is the same as most live Who, including Leeds.

23. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

It sounds great to me!

I think the cover is designed for use as an album "cover" icon on a phone. If you've ever noticed, old covers that look great holding big vinyl records look muddled on a little screen. I won't necessarily defend their color choices, but that maybe part of the reason it is such a simple design -- it's just clean and uncomplicated is all.

I recall reading an interview years ago where Bob Mould discussed this and how he's changed how his "covers" look to fit on phones and iPods.

marcb, dee, Surferghost and 2 others like this.
  24. Hiwatt

Hiwatt Active Member

This is the way we love our Live Who.John panned hard left and Pete hard right ala " Live at leeds" although this isn't so hard panned as there is some bass on the right too.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    dee, Surferghost, PhoffiFozz and 2 others like this.
  25. Hiwatt

Hiwatt Active Member

I do wonder if Johns bass is loud enough in the mix though?:)

Detroit Music Fan likes this.