The Who Fillmore East 1968

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whodanny, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Sadly no it is me :) And ironically, I had a Hiwatt driving the one Orange 4x12.

2. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Same here, bought in 1980. It did its job admirably, and I sold it a few years ago.

3. Hiwatt

Hiwatt Active Member

Ah!Nice pic.I thought it was Andy Dunlop from the band Travis.What Hiwatt model was driving the cabs?

4. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Yeah, listened to it when I got home from work & think it sounds amazing.

Can't wait for 20th April now.

andybeau, dee and Mark Wilson like this.
  5. So that is 400 total for the cover image PLUS all those interior images? Actually sounds like a very good price to me. I am a photo agent and all that for 400 pounds seem extremely fair. If that is just for the one cover image then I would need to know more. But again, $550 for a sober images seems very reasonable to me.

6. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Thanks for your input Mazzy. It's £400 for the one photo for the front cover. Within our budget that's a lot. I've sunk a bunch of my own cash into the enterprise so it can be the best it can be and I think those are fairly standard prices but £400 for a photo against £500 for 30 minutes of music seems like a lot to me. This is balanced against the fact that if we don't put this set together, no-one will. I'm thinking of forking out for the photo myself to make it happen. The dvd element is around 2000 for a couple of minutes of footage so all told we're very fortunate that so much of the audio has been either donated or is out of copyright. On a 1000 limited run, £400 for a photo is a lot and as the photographer and band don't see any of that it's a lot but as you quite rightly point out, it seems in line with standard industry prices.

7. When I license images to a client, we do ask the usage and who the client is. If my quote to them is too high, I will ask what their budget is. Then I will ask my photographer if they will license for that amount. If we can we will. Add a photo credit and a few CDs or LPs and we just might do it for less. .

Everything is negotiable. Just ask. :tiphat:

scocs and ash1 like this.
  8. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Tried that, explained the circumstances etc. (very politely). It's £400. (We are crediting all photos where details are known). Unfortunately I believe the photographer is long passed away as mentioned.
    However, you're absolutely right, some agencies / libraries are very reasonable either with their initial charge/price structure or in listening to the circumstances of the usage and adjusting accordingly or coming back with a different proposal.
    I do suspect this is more of a problem for smaller operators like us where choice of photo is limited. Bands like The Who / Beatles / Stones etc. have plenty more to choose from and probably a bit more cash to play around with !

9. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

There never was an art department. The striking and innovative artwork of the past came about because the artists were involved themselves and cared. This kind of archive release is outsourced, done on autopilot, and the artists by now are tucked up in bed by 7pm with a cup of cocoa. And so the world turns...

tedg65 and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Unless, of course, they're hosting a week of concerts at The Royal Albert Hall in aid of The Teenage Cancer Trust :tiphat:

Mark Wilson likes this.
  11. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

2 x SHM-CD from Universal (UICY-15727) is up for pre-order (since March 6th) at CDJapan. Same release date as rest of the world (April 20th).

Live At The Fillmore East 1968 [SHM-CD] The Who CD Album

Translation: "One of the most famous unreleased live audio tracks of The Who finally becomes a product officially. Features their concert held on April 6, 1968 at Fillmore East in New York on two discs. Uses the original 4-track master tapes restored and mixed by Bob Pridden, and mastered by Jon Astley. Features the high-fidelity SHM-CD format. Digipak packaging with a 12-page booklet and lyrics."

"6-sided digipak • sleeve specification • 12-page booklet with written liner notes and valuable photo materials • SHM-CD specification • English liner translation • lyric translation"

Pete's Who Came First reissue (UICY-15729) is also out April 20th on 2 x SHM-CD in an 8-page digipak with a 24-page booklet including translated lyrics, liner notes by Pete, rare photographs and a poster.

Who Came First (45th Anniversary Expanded Edition) [SHM-CD] Pete Townshend CD Album

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    wavethatflag and jay.dee like this.
  12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

How does that make no sense? Isn’t that where they were on the stage? For me, it helps with visualizing a live concert recording.

13. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

I hear you and it's never been an issue for me either, but I think his point is that the amplifier/speaker setup that the audience heard out in their seats might not have been John full left and Pete full right like it is on these CDs, but something more balanced. (I don't know if it was or wasn't myself.) So listening to the CD on headphones for example might not represent very well what the audience heard that day, though as you say it does give you a sense of where they were standing on stage.

Mark

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I understand exactly what his point was. But my point aside, it’s still somewhat misguided from a authentic realism standpoint.

For several reasons, stage volume played a much bigger role in venue sound in 1968. If you were in that crowd in that small venue that day, you probably had a more of left-right perception - particularly the guitar - than what you would today (or even a few short years later). If you were stage right in the audience, you would have heard less of Pete than if you were stage left.

15. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

I'd reckon that you would have been utterly bombarded with sound from in front of you and, only if you were in the middle of the auditorium, would you have had any approximation of the 'balance' of the sound.

What were getting on the discs will bear no relation to that in the slightest.

16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Yep, if you were stage left in the first 10 rows, it wouldn’t have sounded anything remotely like the balance we’ll hear on the LP - mixed hard right/left, mono or anywhere in between.

You would have heard PETE, some drums, a blur of bottom end and maybe some guy singing.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  17. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

I kinda suspected something like that but wasn't sure. That's why I said I didn't know myself. Thanks for elaborating.

Mark

18. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

19. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

This got a great review in Uncut magazine, they said My Generation was the highlight.

Anybody seen any other reviews? I looked in MOJO last night but didn't spot one.

Mark Wilson and DrBeatle like this.
  20. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

There is a Who page on FB [Les Who en France] that states the shows is being played at 1 song every hour and at 8pm tonight the full show will be aired.
    Translation.

Since 8 hours this morning on Radio Perfecto, special day The Who with a title every hour. Cherry on the cake, this evening at 20 hours without commercial and without jingles complete as if you were live at the Fillmore East 1968 (Remasterisé).

21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Are they playing a song from the Fillmore East show every hour, or simply a Who song every hour?

Here's a direct link to the stream for those interested:

http://radioperfecto.net-radio.fr/perfecto.mp3

And FYI, in the US that's 3 PM EDT/12 PM PDT.

Surferghost, marmalade166 and swedgin like this.
  22. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Nope. Not interested. Absolutely not, never EVER! :waiting:

Surferghost likes this.
  23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

:biglaugh:

Surferghost and Benn Kempster like this.
  24. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I don't know if its the FE songs or other Who yet.
    been listening about 30 mins and nothing yet.
    BTW what would be the time in the UK..........1 hour difference I believe?

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Correct. 19:00/7 PM GMT.

That is, assuming "ce soir à 20 heures" means 20:00 CET.