The Who Fillmore East 1968

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whodanny, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Listening to disc 1 now through headphones and very impressed at the clarity.

dee and bluemooze like this.
  2. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Except for the cover..........an overall nice package.
    A bit lightweight booklet compared to the other Who 2 disc digipacks.

I don't know if it's a printing error/oversight/intentional? but the coloured speckles on the front aren't carried over to the white rear except for a possible gaff just below disc 1.

3. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Got confirmation last night that my copy shipped. It should be waiting for me when I get home.

But for Christ's sake...the price only went down A DOLLAR since I pre-ordered. $25 for a 2CD set (and 1 disc is one track)? FFS, this is 2018, not 1993.

ODShowtime and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

No sign on iTunes or Apple Music! Any other streaming sites have it?

Mark Wilson and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

IOW:

Comparing I Can't Explain now. As noted, the 2009 (Eagle) is about 2 dB louder than the 1996 (Sony). Beyond that, the difference is loosely smiley-faced, with the 1996 having a hair more bass (below about 450Hz) and treble (above about 6kHz), and the 2009 having a hair more midrange. And by "hair" I mean less than .5dB. There are some slightly larger differences above 19kHz, but I'd be surprised if many people would notice those.

Of course, without level matching, the 2009 will sound a bit hyped compared to the 1996 due to the level difference.

dee, Dave Hoos and czeskleba like this.
  6. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I don't get all the upset about the cover, I was in the record shop at lunchtime & it jumped out at me. I'm not usually a fan of white covers either.

Looking forward to getting home & putting it on now.

dee, tages, Mark Wilson and 1 other person like this.
  7. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Who's here, The Who, Fillmore CD's that's who. Love the cover art. Only complaint those amazon envelopes are a bit tight there is a slight squash crease on the spine, no big deal though..

dee, Mark Wilson and Mook like this.
  8. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

Tanglewood has the most FEROCIOUS version of Sparks they ever played.....it was the last show of the tour and they SMOKED!!!

kevinsponge and DrBeatle like this.
  9. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Same here.

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I think it's *good*, but I think it's far from their best. Pete in particular seemed a bit distracted: there are some wrong chords and miscues at the end of both Amazing Journey and Sparks, and his soloing in general is a bit more tentative than other shows of the era.

Benn Kempster and DrBeatle like this.
  11. DrBeatle

Agreed. John totally botches the end of Amazing Journey going into Sparks on Tanglewood (IIRC). For me, the two best I've heard, at least on official releases, are Leeds and Woodstock. The Woodstock one is just so ferocious and angry...I love it.

12. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I’d be interested in what folks think the best Amazing Journey>Sparks are? I don’t particularly like Tommy but these two tracks always do it for me

13. DrBeatle

If you want to see how incredible Keith's drumming was on the Leeds AJ/S, check out this guy's drum cover of it. He does a fantastic job and really shows how insane Moonie was on that song (and he does several other Who drum covers on his page)

14. spartanmanor

spartanmanor Forum Resident

Let's hear some reviews from those who have now gotten this!

Jimmy B., Mook and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Looks like the LP is slightly delayed from Amazon US. I just got a delivery delay notice. Delivery next Wednesday.

16. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

£6.79 from Amazon UK, free postage

Very pleased indeed with it.

I am listening to the epic version of My Generation as I type, and I am thoroughly enjoying every minute of it.

Sound is thrilling and dynamic - very much in keeping with the music. Instrumentation is VERY impressive, vocals sometimes a tad rough but who cares!

17. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Now, if only they'd magically uncover multi's from either of the two Berkeley shows.......

18. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Personally I don't really care about the cover or book. The music is sensational. The 11 minute version of "Relax", a minor song on "A Quick One", might be just about the best thing they ever did live. The Bootleg version is truncated by nearly half. Great stuff.

19. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

One thing that seems blindingly clear is that this isn't fixed in any way. There's a few flubs, a couple of very dodgy harmonies and half-forgotten lyrics, but it's all thrillingly live. The roar from the crowd that goes up when they launch into 'I Can't Explain' is a delight.

20. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

<<The Who Sell Out>>

21. DrBeatle

Also, it's not "nearly truncated in half" on the bootleg. The version on my boot fades out after ~8 minutes...

22. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

Ah, I'll have to give the remaster a listen then. I do agree about the setlist being a bit more interesting.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't hate or even dislike Woodstock as a performance - the problem for me is simply Tommy fatigue and that's just my own personal bugbear. I'm maxed out on 1969-70 live Who for that reason alone, but I'd still purchase a release of Woodstock if it comes along. I'd just like to see SF 71, Largo 73 and a few others released first.

dee, DrBeatle and WhoTapes1 like this.
  23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As above, it's barely different from the original.

Surferghost likes this.
  24. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

I'll listen to it by nefarious means first, then :)

marmalade166, Mark Wilson and lukpac like this.
  25. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

I prefer the 1975/1976 live versions of Amazing Journey/Sparks. Check out the performances on the excellent sounding audience recordings from the Toronto 1975 & Springfield 1975 bootleg CDs.

marmalade166 likes this.