"The Who Hits 50" CD set apparently being released (Surprise, surprise!) (Part II)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry, Nov 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

The version on the Hooligans CD release (MCAD2-12001) has an early fade if I'm remembering correctly -- but that's an oddity compared to all of the other discs it has appeared on. This version times out on the CD at 3:31.

When the song has appeared on other compilations it usually times out around 3:55 or so. It's 3:55 on The Who Hits 50! release. 3:48 on the US/CA Who's Greatest Hits CD (MCAD-1496).

edit: mmars982 beat me too it!

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's not edited/faded early on Rarities, nor on the SHM release of The Singles. Pretty sure it's fine on The Who Collection as well. So Who's Greatest Hits wasn't the only previous place it was available.

3. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

My mistake. I don't have Rarities but from track listings I saw online I thought it was shorter there as well. And I didn't consider the SHM Singles.

4. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Right on. I show "Relay" being on the following compilations:

Hooligans
    Rarities 1966-1973 Vol. I & II
    Singles (2011)
    The Who Hits 50! (2CD)
    Thirty Years of Maximum R&B (Disc 3)
    Who Collection, The
    Who's Greatest Hits (US)

I haven't A-B'd them all in a while, but in looking at the time of each track it looks like they are likely all the same outside of the early fade on Hooligans.

5. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

why
    do you say that? I was just about to buy it. the shorter tracklist or the sound? thanks.

6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I think it's a combination of sound and the pairing down of the track listing. I could give it another listen, but my initial impressions weren't positive.

7. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Thanks, makes sense.

8. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Is anyone here disappointed that Another Tricky Day (from Face Dances) is not on the Who Hits 50 2CD comp? It's such a great song and it's not really on any Who comp actually...except the 2002 EU Ultimate 2CD set...but I heard bad things about the audio on that one?

I really wish Another Tricky Day made it on to Who Hits 50.

Hep Alien and ARK like this.
  9. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

I just listened to the whole set, and was surprised that they used the "wrong" version of "Eminence Front". It's the version that was on the original album (it was corrected on the remaster), with "Em-eminence front-ont"..

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's not wrong. That's the original mix.

11. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

I know, but given the fact that there is that mistake on the mix, I would think they would use the corrected version.

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Who's to say it's a mistake? It is what it is.

The "corrected" version is remixed.

PhoffiFozz and DrBeatle like this.
  13. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

It's as correct as that atrocious edit in the mono mix of "Rael!" :laugh:

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Both (originally released) mixes. But Rael is one time where I'll go on the record saying "the original is horrible" (at least regarding the edit/crossfade...the rest of the song is fine/better than the remix).

Hep Alien and DrBeatle like this.
  15. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

This seems to jive with what you guys are saying: I A/B'd all the various releases of "Relay" quite a while back. If I'm remembering correctly, the vinyl versions of Hooligans & Greatest Hits both had different early fades, with Hooligans having quite an early fade and Greatest Hits lasting longer, but still fading early. Seems like a strange exercise. Maybe they had a tape copy that had a damaged end. Or someone didn't like the end of the song. :)

16. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Wasn't a "hit".

17. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Maybe not on the charts, but it got a lot of air play at the time on the local FM rock stations I tuned in to.

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Another Tricky Day:

Zoot Suit was? Dogs was? Boris The Spider wasn't even a single.

Not that I have a strong feeling one way or another. But it's not like the song doesn't fit some sort of specific criteria that everything else on the set does (think Beatles 1).

Hep Alien, ARK and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Hits, Picks, Mixes and Misses..

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    Hep Alien likes this.
  20. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Yeah, Another Tricky Day wasn't released as a single (which is surprising)....but they did make an official video for it though. It really belongs on Who Hits 50, as it's a very catchy track, but oh well, there's always something missing from these comps.

Jet Age Eric, Hep Alien and ARK like this.
  21. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident

Is there an original mix of Rael without the edit floating around anywhere?

22. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

On the deluxe version of The Who Sell Out, there's an "early mono mix" of "Rael" that I don't believe has the edit. That would probably be the closest to an original mix of "Rael" without the edit that one could get.

23. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident

Ah yeah of course! Forgot that, thought it was a different performance for some reason.

24. dee

dee Senior Member

There is in stereo but that's the Remake Version.

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Correct. Apparently there are additional mono and stereo mixes that don't have the edit. It's too bad one of those vintage stereo mixes hasn't been released.

RockDude4492 and dee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.