The Who in concert

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dudley07726, Aug 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

A great Drowned full-band version from Who Rocks America the official VHS released in 1983, also know as Toronto 82.

[​IMG]

2. boe

boe Forum Resident

Posted the above yesterday. This morning I went to an audiologist for the first time in my adult life. Audiologist asked if I'd ever been exposed to super high volume. I told her I'd seen The Who a bunch of times as this thread was fresh in my memory. She replies "I saw them in Buffalo the night after Cincy. I was in school, didn't bring ear protection, and thought my career as an audiologist was over before it began. Loudest show ever."

3. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

Yep, encores were a rarity for The Who during the '75-76 tour. Apart from MSG '76, I can't recall another occurrence of an encore except for one of the Oakland Stadium shows (can't remember if was the first or second show) with the Grateful Dead in October of '76.

budwhite and footlooseman like this.
  4. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Somewhere in my files, I have a photo of Keith Moon smashing that last Les Paul guitar. I'm trying to locate it, and I'll post it here in this thread.

Edit:

MSG- 1974 (not 1976- still searching for that photo)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    budwhite, Spadeygrove and adamos like this.
  5. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Awesome version of Naked Eye, Toronto 82

Spadeygrove and adamos like this.
  6. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I agree. Live Zeppelin is kind of overrated, to me, although both bands' extended jams get kind of tedious pretty quickly. Zep just had way more of them. I won't say that either Daltry or Plant were better than the other, but Daltry certainly was better at recreating his studio vocals onstage (whether or not that is a positive or negative is entirely subjective).

7. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Yes, a favorite is Camden, NJ on 7/7/00. Excellent dry soundboard recording.

footlooseman likes this.
  8. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I saw the band in Chicago, June 2000. Great show.

My dad, saw The Who twice in 1975 (Chicago, Des Moines)...green with envy :uhhuh:

footlooseman and reb like this.
  9. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

not even close.

The Texas 75 show was on a pay-per-view channel we got briefly on Netflix that had all kinds of concerts. I found that one to be sort of... un-enthusiastic compared to some of the other performances I've got, like Isle of Wight... that ones a monster.

As far as comparisons to Zeppelin, its a totally different trip, in my opinion. Page could mop the floor with just about any arena level guitarist on a good night.. but thats not what The Who were about either.

LongGoneBon and footlooseman like this.
  10. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Not sure what the attack on Zeppelin was for.
    Seemed sort of irrelevant and uncalled for.
    The Who have widely been regarded as one of the, if not the best live band ever.

LongGoneBon likes this.
  11. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

Oh yeah. The most infuriating moment in the history of incomplete soundboards is when "Relax" cuts off just as it's reaching God levels. They should have kept that one in the set longer.

Another interesting thing about that Fillmore East show: Pete playing a strat through a Sunn 100S (his American rig on that tour). Much different than his SG/HiWatt tone of '69/70.

12. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

That's great that since Tommy movie they were / are playing the movie's version of I'm Free at the concerts.

13. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

AMAZING version of Doctor Jimmy, Toronto 82.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  14. I saw the Who on the 1996 Quadrophenia tour. Best show I've ever seen by anyone, and I've seen lots of the big legendary bands

warewolf95 and Dog Ear like this.
  15. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Close = Jason & The Scorchers

16. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

Wilco ain't The Who---there's the understatement of the century!:D

17. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Well, Wilco has been a great band for their time period. I don't know that it's necessarily fair to compare them to the Who or other bands of that era. I mean, how much was there left to do in rock 'n' roll for the last 17 years or so?

There's a good interview with Pete in the extras of the Rolling Stones' Rock N Roll Circus DVD, where he says that that Mick Jagger thought of rock as a traveling circus, and that he (Pete) thought of it as an art installation. Sometimes I think that art installation has been complete or near complete for some time now.

warewolf95 and Quincy like this.
  18. WelshChris

WelshChris Forum Resident

The Who at their peak were incomparable. The best live band in the world - full stop.

I had the privilege of seeing them a good few times in this period - Edmonton Sundown 73, Charlton 74 & 76, Swansea 76, Stafford 75, Wembley Empire Pool 75 (three nights, the last in the front row), Hammersmith 75, and others.

All of these shows have been dissected in terms of sound and performance in recent times, but frankly just being there and witnessing the power was amazing whether the band were on top form or not. To be honest, from memory, the 76 shows at Charlton and Swansea were the best. Charlton 74, whilst in hindsight not that great in terms of performance was still awesome.

No doubt some of the post-moon shows had their merits, but with Keith they were mighty, and none of the bands around at the time (Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple) could hold a candle to them.

... and I still have all the ticket stubs in a frame on the wall :)

19. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Love Reign O'er Me, Toronto '82

The best live version of Love Reign O'er Me ever recorded, IMO.

20. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

A great, strong version of Who Are You, Toronto 82 :

At their 1982 US tour, Kenny Jones really showed how great The Who drummer he was at that time, especially when in the concerts they went to more complex The Who songs from Quad and WAY.

warewolf95 likes this.
  21. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

I saw them in June 1996 on the same Quad tour, in London's Hyde Park; it was one-day event (Prince's Trust Concert) and, strangely enough, Eric Clapton was playing after The Who and therefore many of us left the concert when The Who finished their perfomance.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  22. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Why are there people jacking this thread to yap about Wilco? o_O

23. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

I was at that show too. I wonder if they treated us to an encore on the 11th, because of the cancelled show the night before.

24. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

yep - was there too. Made me laugh that the Clapton DVD marketed him as playing to a vast crowd; I reckon that more than nine tenths had left by the third song.

Svetonio likes this.
  25. Agerst1574

Agerst1574 Forum Resident

I am a Wilco fan but comparing them to the Who live is ridiculous. So let's end that discussion. I have seen The Who about 15 times beginning in 1979. The 1979 tour is vastly underrated as Townsend was on fire on guitar with a lot of jamming.

Now the loudest show I ever went to, and I have gone to close to 2,000 shows, was at Giants Stadium in 1989. Third row and we had to leave as the volume was painful. Never experienced that before or afterwards.

Regarding the best live band ever, I would say The Who from 1969-1972 ranks up with the Stones from the same time and Springsteen during the Darkness tour.

warewolf95, CrombyMouse and RogerB like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.