The Who in concert

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dudley07726, Aug 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

The 2012 Quadrophenia tour was my favorite Who tour going back to 1982 and seeing them over 30'times.

Fullbug and arthurprecarious like this.
  2. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I was at that show and another 3 on that tour............and it was the best of the 4..........but I did have a better seat than yours.

3. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

As I said earlier in this thread, I attended on this concert in Austria, in 2006; it was last time when I saw The Who; yeah I know it was "The Two", but they played one of my top favourite The Who songs:

After I Can't Explain - which intro-riff sounds especially great after hours of waiting for The Who to climp on the stage - The Seeker have the best intro riff IMO.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  4. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I'd listen to live Who before live Zeppelin any day. Zeppelin records are amazing, but after the first record, not the kind of things they were ever going to adequately reproduce live. They did do some great things live, but I never warmed to their extended jams, and when it comes to stuff like "Song Remains The Same" or "Rock & Roll," I'd rather listen to the studio albums with Plant's full vocal prowess and the kind of multi-layered guitars Page did. I think the big difference, aside from The Who rarely going into 20-minute aimless "Dazed & Confused" territory, is that Daltrey, much more than Plant, was able to recreate the power of the original recordings onstage, and was a more consistent vocalist from night to night.

Having said that, I think the Page/Plant '95 reunion shows were more interesting than late-90's/early 2000's Who gigs, so there's that.

Siegmund and Fullbug like this.
  5. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Fullbug likes this.
  6. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

I'm trying to figure out what's the best release for Isle of Wight since there's dozens of both music only and video releases.
    Any suggestions? The big difference in video as far as I can tell is that newer versions crop the 1.33 16mm image to 1.78 widescreen.

7. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Probably the fan made version is the best.......if you can locate a copy.
    It includes the bonus songs in the concert (in the correct order) and I think it's synched to the 1996 CD release?
    It may be 1.33 AR too.
    The person that made it is a member here so he may want to divulge the correct info on it.

8. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Plus there were no backing vocals in Zeppelin.

2141 and walrus like this.
  9. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

saw them live twice.first time doing quadraphenia. then i saw them on the by numbers tour.

10. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

The great thing is that Roger and Pete can operate much like Fagan and Becker did and surround themselves with stellar personnel while still providing the leadership, the voices, the guitar...

Svetonio likes this.
  11. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

That pic is from 1982, actually from the official video of Communication the song from All The Best Cowboys... masterpiece album. As I've been reading that he was clear already in 1981, I blame his middle-age crisis for that BS look!

wavethatflag likes this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Back in the Seventies, I had a very cool job - selling t-shirts and programs at concerts at Kansas City's Kemper Arena (and Sno-Cones at the outdoor shows at Arrowhead.) My mom, my older brother and me would have to get there very early to receive and count the merchandise we would be selling. Which meant that we'd get there while they were testing the sound system and before the sound check. The arena people would pull the curtains on the entries to the seating area, but we could usually sneak into a seat for the sound check.

One of the coolest experiences was hearing the tapes for the keyboard parts for Baba O'Riley and Won't Get Fooled Again being played to test the sound system at concert volume before the sound check at the December 1st, 1975 show at Kemper Arena. My brother was a huge Townshend fan, spending one summer obsessively dressed in a white jump suit after the one Pete wore on the cover of Who Came First.

[​IMG]
    (Not a photograph of my brother.)

13. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Eh, whatever, he was perming or otherwise fluffing up his hair to mask hair loss. Pete was always into fashion, just like Jimmy in Quad. Or whoever the kid's name was.

Svetonio likes this.
  14. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Indeed, but he should have being smart enough to skip that fashion, lol.

wavethatflag likes this.
  15. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

The 80s were tough that way for many.

Svetonio likes this.
  16. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

:uhhuh:

[​IMG]

:laughup:

squittolo likes this.
  17. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

The Bill Graham Archives (Wolfgang's Vault) still has at least some unissued Who. They filed a copyright claim for BOTH the Oakland Stadium 1976-shows (10/09/76 and 10/10/76) in 2007, who apparently were "recorded with consent of performer". The basis of claim was: "New Matter: remixing & editing."

The Who : Oakland Coliseum Stadium, Oakland, CA, 10/9/76

Type of Work: Sound Recording
    Registration Number / Date: SRu000664318 / 2007-04-17
    Title: Who, The: Oakland Coliseum Stadium (Oakland, CA), 10/9/76.
    Copyright Claimant: ℗ Bill Graham Archives, LLC
    Date of Creation: 2005
    Authorship on Application: sound recording: Bill Graham Archives, LLC.
    Previous Registration: Appl. identifies post 2/15/1972 original master recordings recorded with consent of performer as preexisting material.
    Basis of Claim: New Matter: remixing & editing.
    Copyright Note: C.O. correspondence.

Cataloged from appl. only.

-

And strangely enough, the aforementioned 04/06/68 was also copyrighted under the same claim the year before. "New Matter: remixing & editing", that is, although what they actually put up for streaming was the same mix as was already circulating through boots.

This one also holds my interest. It might not be much better than what we already have, but any upgrade would be very welcome:

The Who : Fillmore West, 06/19/69

Type of Work: Sound Recording
    Registration Number / Date: SRu000624311 / 2006-08-30
    Application Title: Fillmore West : 06/19/1969 : the Who.
    Title: The Who, Fillmore West : 06/19/1969.
    Description: 2 compact discs.
    Copyright Claimant: ℗ Bill Graham Archives, LLC
    Date of Creation: 2005
    Authorship on Application: sound recording: Bill Graham Archives, LLC, employer for hire.
    Previous Registration: Recordings preexisting.
    Basis of Claim: New Matter: remixing & editing.
    Copyright Note: C.O. correspondence.

They also have Washington (Schultz) 1982, although that's probably not of interest to many people.

18. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

1982 performance does contain the MTV video version of Emience Front. IMO, it's the best version.

19. matt lane

matt lane Forum Resident

Love the clip above of The Seeker. One of may favourites is the version below (probably contemporaneous) from Jools Holland... even more bite.

Svetonio likes this.
  20. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Question for Who experts: I used to have a boot of a mid-70s show, and during one intro Pete notes that people are standing up to shout at people upfront to sit down, "which is about as f%7ked up as you usually are." Anyone know what that show was?

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  21. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

I saw The Who at MSG in 1974 and 1976, though the exact dates are lost to history. Awesome, loud and snotty . . great rock and roll
    Saw them at Aline Valley in Wisconsin in 1989 doing Tommy in full
    Again in Chicago in 1996 doing Quadrophenia w/ guests
    And lastly in Chicago in 2012 doing . . Quadrophenia!

I believe I am done, grateful that I saw Moon and Entwistle

WhoTapes1 and Dog Ear like this.
  22. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

That would be from the Dayton, OH 8/13/71 concert and on a vinyl bootleg called ‘Collectors Item’.

HoundsOBurkittsville likes this.
  23. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Thanks! Now we just need to find out if Bob Pollard was one of the guys shouting.

24. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

There’s a good sounding bootleg for that Kansas City 1975 show too!

25. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Which one did you think was best? I always wanted to see Quadrophenia, but that didn't happen (I was a little too young ;-) But I did see them on the Numbers tour and although they didn't do any Quad at that show, they did do a lot of Tommy, along with a ton of everything else. To this day have never been so blown away!! Absolute amazement from start to finish. And don't even get me started about Moon - OMG!

WhoTapes1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.