The Who It's Hard original version vs. remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aoxomoxoa, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

A link would be great....thanks!

2. KittyWithHairBand

KittyWithHairBand New Member

I came across this site, as I was finding different versions of Eminence Front than I recalled fr0m over the years. I kept seeing this notation about a syncopation error on Pete's vocals. Never having been a follower of The Who, I was unaware of the remix / re-issue of this song. I had always noticed this mistake of Pete's vocals, but never heard it as a one. Whether it was intentional or not, I would have given the remaster "correction" a thumbs down, if I was to have a say in the matter. This is just one of those beautiful mistakes caught on tape for all time.

I am all for the original version and see the "correction" as a mistake!

The Kitty :)

3. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I so prefer the remix of "Eminence Front". So much.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  4. Fatman

Fatman Senior Member

I just heard Athena an Eminence Front off the SHM CD. Much better than my original US-purchased vinyl. I've not heard the 97 remix.

5. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky Thread Starter

Anyone have the new vinyl issue?

6. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

I do, and I like it a lot.

7. You Better You Bet

You Better You Bet Forum Resident

Great information, D.S., thanks. :righton:
    Just to stir things up a bit, my silver-face Polydor 800 106-2 has the identical (low) levels of your US MCA:

70.6 / 62.8 / 66.3 / 70.5 / 66.5 / 66.6 / 66.8 / 56.4 / 60.2 / 73.3 / 61.5 / 57.5

Which means there are at least two versions of the West German 800 106-2 CD. :tiphat:

8. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Not just that, but the horrible original mix of this song, with Pete's vocals out of just one speaker... gah. Happy they fixed that.

Overall, I think the remix sounds more powerful (less 80's-ish) and energetic, since they seem to have punched up the guitars and drums and mixed down the keyboards. But I do miss a few of the little bits that were mixed down when they did that.

RoyalScam likes this.
  9. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

IMO, One At A Time is the closest that Jones ever got to sounding like Moon on a Who record. Probably my second favorite drum part from him behind (I Know) I'm Losing You, and Stay With Me... Okay, my THIRD favorite drum part from him behind (I Know) I'm Losing You, Stay With Me, and Had Me A Real Good Time... Okay, my FOURTH favorite dru... oh forget it...

:wiggle:

10. Anyone know if the Classic LP reissue of It's Hard ever made it to production? I remember seeing it in the catalog and all the promo inserts but never saw it out and talked about. I don't see it in discogs. Does it exist?

11. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

There were two different WG Tommy's as well so they continued the trend.

This makes me wonder where the ealy Japan POCP stands compared to the ones listed here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.