The Who - Live At Hull separate release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WhoTapes1, Sep 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

According to Amazon UK, The Who's Live At Hull 2/15/70 will be getting a separate cd release on October 8th. I'm sure that will be exciting news to Who fans that did not buy the Live At Leeds 40th anniversary box set, which sold out quickly.

2. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wooooooo!!!!!!

Thnks for the info!! Is it really a legit release? I honestly thought they'd never dare do this to the people who could afford to spend a fortune on the box set...

3. WhoTapes1

Well, even though I was lucky enough to order my Leeds 40th set early from Amazon US for only $59.95 w/free shipping, I'm still selfishly a bit peeved over this seperate release. I guess the complete Quad demos will get a seperate release next - further screwing the ones of us who buy these box sets.

4. fadingcaptain

fadingcaptain Active Member

Assuming this one doesn't sound like it was recorded inside a tin can like the Leeds Deluxe, maybe I'll check this out.

John Bliss likes this.
  5. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

Awesome!!!

6. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

This is probably preaching to the choir at this point, but I wish they'd do this for all deluxe/super deluxe editions. Who doesn't hate having to buy an inferior mastering of an album they already own and a vinyl pressing they may or may not want just to get bonus material?

7. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

8. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Wow! Haven't heard this. What's the gig like?

9. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

will this will be a remastered release?which may be a blessing to box buyers,as they left that version untouched.
    Who knows how it will sound after JA has had his mucky mits on it.
    i feel sorry for the folks who paid double the price for the Quad box over the L@L one,as you know what's coming next!

10. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

not as good as Leeds,but it has it's moments.
    less chit chat/intros which supposedly weren't edited out.it just sticks to the music.
    which makes me want to dig it out now for a listen!

11. waxtomcat

waxtomcat Forum Resident

Looking forward to this since I missed out on the super deluxe set. Thanks for the info!

12. WhoTapes1

Well, if you don't own a copy of the LAL
    Complete bootleg, then the Tommy section on Hull sounds much better than the Tommy section on the LAL Deluxe Edition. It's cleaner sounding than Leeds too - Hull doesn't have the crackles and pops. Performance-wise though, I give the nod to Leeds.

13. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I was always going to just get Hull on MP3 as part of the 40th Leeds release from Amazon, but I never got around to it, so I'm a happy camper. :)

14. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

i just don't understand the logic of this release after all the recent Quadrophenia offerings and forthcoming tour.
    with 2 1973 multitrack audios waiting to be issued,i can only think that their hands are tied with Live Quad material,the contract for the release of the Tommy/Quad live DVD set must cover archive audios too?

15. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

16. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

it does have those annoying bangs from Keiths overhead recording mic though.
    i don't think they'll bother mixing/mastering them out.

17. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

That is an interesting perspective about the Tommy/Quad DVD set, but the band was allowed to release the Hull set that contained the Tommy portion of the concert.

When it comes to archival material, I don't think there is any rhyme or reason behind what happens. My understanding is that the band doesn't really concern itself with catalogue management. It is in Universal's hands. Labels have been known to mismanage catalogue and archives.

18. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

it's been mentioned several times by people in the know at The now defunct Who.com forum that "whomever" [label/band] cannot release any live Quad material for several more years,because of a contract with the issuers of the DVD.
    but i'm pretty sure it only related to Quad material as people were enquiring about the 2010 Quad charity show at the RAH getting a release,and this was the reason they couldn't.
    there's nothing to stop them releasing Tommy material as that Tommy charity video was so long ago anyway.
    but i guess the clause must include Live Quadrophenia audios too.

19. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Right On! I recently grabbed a used 40th super deluxe box set myself. These things are getting more difficult to find.

20. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

but Universal would still need to go to The Who for any tapes/concerts to be supplied.
    the label never recorded anything to use for themselves.

21. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

22. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

Woo hoo! A reward for those of us who wouldn't take the Deluxe box bait. And I'll reward The Who for releasing it as stand alone. :)

23. TheOx

TheOx Forum Resident

The master tapes of the KBFH '73 shows are owned by Wolfgang's Vault who want "the monaay!" for their use. I don't see them being released anytime soon.

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

How were tracks utilized for View From A Backstage Pass?

25. WhoTapes1

The Who had a safety copy that could be used, according to Fangy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.