The Who Live at Leeds 3LP (Content, Pressing and Sound Quality Issues Only!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cookstown, Sep 28, 2016.

1. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

If they're cut quiet, it's because most of the side lengths are over 20 minutes. That was my first concern actually. This music needs to be turned up LOUD and if they're fairly quiet cuts, my enjoyment of these will suffer on my current system. (Though I'll buy it anyway because I may get to upgrade said system later.)

2. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident

Couldn't agree more, sounds great at high volume, just like it should! And what a bargain, if you'll excuse the pun.

(N.B. I also had the same issue with the download and received that same e-mail)

hodgo likes this.
  3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

This is great sounding. Frankly there is no hint that it is a digital source. Pretty clean pressing apart from odd click and crackle on the long PT spoken parts. Have not directly compared with my other vinyl pressings but played the 95 CD day before. It's a clear improvement. Does need to be played fairly loud to open up the sound a bit. MS did a great job with this cut. Packaging nice but no attempt to reproduce the original inserts in the artwork. Steal at £12.99.

JP Christian, irwin69, Todd68 and 5 others like this.
  4. clgoss77

clgoss77 Forum Resident

After a first listen, I completely agree with Classicrock's assessment. Sounds very analog to me. Entwistle's bass is so dynamic. I also really appreciated the long intro to A Quick One, which I don't remember from the 1995 CD.

hodgo likes this.
  5. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

It's a shame the full spoken intro isn't skippable on vinyl.......It loses it's charm after a while.

6. Arrived about an hour ago. Magnificent sound. So utterly crankable!!
    [​IMG]

hodgo, getitgoin and Jack like this.
  7. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

My copy arrived and side 1 was littered with ugly audible scratches on "Heaven and Hell".
    Back it goes.

8. If anyone wants my download code that came with the Lp, I wont be needing it. First person to PM me it's yours.

Jack and The Killer like this.
  9. Jack

Jack Senior Member

I also have the download code that I wont need. PM if innarested.

Bernard hansen likes this.
  10. Had to drop this little snippet on the thread. Great stuff.

zipp, hodgo, Bobsblkwax and 3 others like this.
  11. mrclick

mrclick Forum Resident

Hey Quadboy - you're from Leeds!!!

Ps - it is skippable - just pick up the arm and drop the needle on a bit.

Great to have this on LP as well as the 95CD, and it does sound cracking good. Better than the Classic version of the original, because that mix is muddier, although it does have all the bits of paper.

12. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

Just got it in from the UK. I love this album and am very happy I got in on th deal. Sounds superb! Quiet, but the volume knob can fix that. Naturally I went straight to the last side because that is possibly the most intense performance ever! Those p90s on Pete's SG scream in agony. I just love feedback too!

13. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

i made this earlier this year.......so i didn't update the text at the end concerning the new 3LP version.
    I just wish they would make their own doc using all the footage they have and i'm sure it could be done very cheaply as they won't have to license footage from other outside sources.
    just get the relevant people to sit down and be interviewed about the 2 1970 shows and the period leading upto it.

felipezorro likes this.
  14. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

It is rather quiet, isn't it! Like you I had to really crank up that volume knob!

15. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

I have never had to push the volume up on an album as much as I did on this. I was quite surprised. Superb album though. What a deal!

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  16. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Keith wouldn't like that:)

17. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

That's nice:)

Is the download an MP3, FLAC or HD?

18. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Code has been taken.

Bernard hansen likes this.
  19. Still have my download code for anyone who wants. First PM gets it.

20. My download code has been taken. Enjoy Alan!

21. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

Got mine yesterday. Sounds very nice indeed but I wouldn't think that this was cut directly from the analog master tape. Regardless, great pick up and great sound. Tangentially, I've always preferred this expanded version over the original. I found the original to be an odd selection of covers and originals and that the concert had quite obviously been truncated which hurt the ebb and flow. Where as the expanded version shows you just what an amazing live band The Who were. The breadth of the material, the mastery of their performance, the unrelenting intensity is just staggering to me. Best live recording of a rock band? YES. The best live rock band ever? YES. YMMV.

Highwaystar, Vinyl_Blues and Quadboy like this.
  22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's a 2014 digital mix.

Vinyl_Blues, Tommyboy and jo66hn like this.
  23. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

Makes sense. Still it sounds very good to my ears.

24. JimSpark

JimSpark I haven't got a title

Vudicus asked this a couple weeks ago, but it's oddly gone unanswered:

So, does the vinyl have the bad edit in "Young Man Blues" that was present on the 2014 HD download or has it been rectified? Thanks in advance :righton:

25. Bigrynz

Bigrynz Forum Resident

Yes, I would like to know this as well!