The Who Live at Leeds 3LP (Content, Pressing and Sound Quality Issues Only!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cookstown, Sep 28, 2016.

1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Young Man Blues, Shakin' All Over, My Generation, and Magic Bus all have sections edited out of them. There are also a few cuts to applause/dialog between songs, and Go To The Mirror has a section "fixed".

Every official release has some 1970 overdubs. The only one of those that could likely be reverted to the live vocal is Roger's "See me, feel me..." during My Generation; his overdub was made to one of the backing vocal tracks, so his live vocal wasn't wiped. LALC has both vocals.

2. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Are there any "unofficial" vinyl releases of the "majority" of the show?

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Not vinyl.

4. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Plus its a pre-order............the correct tracklisting will be confirmed prior to the release, always time to cancel if its not the right version.

5. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

The potential variations of songs that are, or could be on this (or any other) reissue of Live at Leeds has become overwhelming. I long for the simplicity of the single disc, original release. We will come full circle on this.

6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

But that's readily available in used records shops and eBay etc.

lukpac likes this.
  7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I long for a complete, unedited release with as few overdubs as possible.

8. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

You are correct, the vintage pressings are available. I believe the last official vinyl reissue to utilize the original song listing was the 2005 Classic Records release. Recent reissues have come out with various concert restoration efforts.

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The only recent vinyl reissue I'm aware of is the one in the 40th box, which was the original 6 song album. I'm not aware of any LPs that utilize any of the remixes.

10. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Folks, you are aware that 1/2 speed mastered typically indicates a Miles Showell mastering- digital cut.

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The 1995 remix was digital, and I'm nearly certain the 2014 one was as well, so any LP would necessarily be from a digital source.

12. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Discogs shows a number of concert restoration/expanded releases in the past 15 years (all formats). I own two different ones myself.

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Not on vinyl.

14. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The point I was making, and now I won't be subtle. Is that this is the same hack that just butchered the 2016 1/2 speed mastered Townshend cd re-issues (vinyl versions to follow). I wouldn't spend a dime on this release. YMMV.....

15. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

That is true. The only vinyl reissues I have are the Classic and the vinyl reissue that came with the four cd box. Both are the original song line-up. I was mianly referring to what was available considering all formats.

This I believe will probably be true.

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I wasn't planning on it either, FWIW. Already have the 2014 download.

17. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Well, I have an old Japan CD, the deluxe CD, the MFSL, the Classic vinyl (which I love) and the Super Deluxe box set (which I have not even had time to listen to). There is no way . . . . . did you say £14 shipped to Tokyo? . . . ordered. sigh

getitgoin likes this.
  19. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I know, right. :help:

20. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Let me just second the Kids Are Alright movie soundtrack as a good introduction to the band. It covers a wider range (in terms of timeline), it features both live and studio material (though mostly live), even some from Woodstock. Leeds is amazing, but its solely a snapshot of where they were in early 1970 and I hesitate to recommend it as an intro to The Who only for that reason. Still, you can't go very wrong either way.

21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The best introduction to the band has got to be the film though, no? That Smothers Brothers performance should be in the Smithsonian.

22. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Ya got a point there. That was definitely a moment.

I mean, you can hear it on the album, but you have to see that BOOM to really appreciate it.

23. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yes. The film is wonderful.

michanes likes this.
  24. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I like the music clips but the rest just make them out to be drunken nutters. Which may be true but I wouldn't recommend it for a new fan.

Tommyboy likes this.
  25. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The last analogue Who was the Classic Records releases of near 10 years ago. Anything since has been through a digital transfer and remastering. I doubt the new Live At Leeds will use the 95 remixes but a recent remastering. It could be the 95 CD track listing or the later Tommy version (all or in part).