The Who Live at Leeds

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LAKER BOB, Jul 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAKER BOB

LAKER BOB New Member Thread Starter

Hi all!

Can anyone give me the scoop on which version of Live at Leeds is the one to buy? I did a search and did not find a thread specific to that.

Thank you in advance.

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

If you just want the original mix/lineup, the old Polydor CD is a lot better than the old MCA CD.

The 1995 remix CD isn't terrible, but it feels kind of sterile to me, and it's still edited in places, and only has half the show.

STAY AWAY from the "Deluxe Edition". TERRIBLE. A LOT of noise reduction, still a bunch of edits, AND a lot of overdubbed vocals.

If you really like that show, the only way to really go is the bootleg "Live At Leeds Complete". Every song, unedited.

3. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

I actually thought the Deluxe edition was alright!!! That's my humble opinion of course!

The '95 issue is good to my ears but my own fave CD version of this album is the Mobile Fidelity one. You should be able to pick one used for a reasonable price.

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Hmm...gonna have to disagree here!

The DE is dreadful. Tons of noise reduction, plus a very "hollow" sound on some of the vocals.

The MoFi CD is more or less just a copy of the 1995 issue. The differences in mastering are pretty minimal.

5. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Hey lukpac
    I remember you also said stay away from the remastered bootleg of "Live at Leeds Complete" Ive been meaning to ask does it say remastered on it? what label should one look for?

6. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The regular 1995 remaster sounds fine to me. Yeah, it's only half the show, but how many live performanaces of "Tommy" do ya need?

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I couldn't tell you - I only have a CD-R of the "remastered" version, not an original.

This is what the original looks like:

http://lukpac.org/bootleg_covers/LALC_front.jpg
    http://lukpac.org/bootleg_covers/LALC_back.jpg

I did fix the tracklisting on the back, FYI. I believe the original actually says "Tatoo", for instance.

There are two major problems with looking for an original copy:

1) They are almost IMPOSSIBLE to find. I was lucky to get my copy from someone who worked at a record store, and I've never seen another copy.

2) Both the original and "remastered" boot versions have several problems - running too slow, dropouts, glitches, etc. They can be fixed, but the original discs themselves are not the most fun to listen to.

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Well, the half of the show you do get is edited and screwed with, and the Tommy performance is one of the best out there.

9. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I can agree with you on the former issue, but strongly disagree on the latter-The Isle Of Wight performance smokes this one, IMO. Ah, well-it's apples and oranges right?

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I guess so - to me the Leeds performance of Tommy is a lot stronger than IOW.

11. LAKER BOB

LAKER BOB New Member Thread Starter

Thanks for all the repsonses! So barring a mobile fidelity version or a bootleg dropping from thin air into my lap, sounds like you'd recommend the 1195 remaster, unless I want Tommy, then I should buy both the 1995 remaster and the DE? I wanted to buy the DE because of Tommy, but with all of the negative comments, I'll probably just get the 95 version for now.

Thanks!

12. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

On this most patriotic of days(tomorrow), let us not forget that as an american, this is your most basic freedom-to hear other people badmouth something, and then make up your own mind! USA! USA! USA!

13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Both the original and the remastered LALC were on the Midas Touch label. The "remastered" LALC has completely different artwork, reproduced below (just like the original LALC CD, the remaster's art features photos from Isle of Wight, not Leeds). The remaster has no dropout in I Can't Explain, and the sound balance problem is more or less fixed, but it still runs too slow during the Tommy portion, and all the other glitches are intact. Plus, it features some gratuitous EQing which IMO makes it sound much worse than the original LALC.

Attached Files:

14. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Try Griffco Records in Florida for a MoFi version (I still say it's the best CD of this album!). I've imported quite a few items from this guy (Brent) he's very reliable, great service and never had any problems with anything I've bought from him. Looks like he's got some sealed ones for $40.

http://www.audiophile-records.com/a...&MedID=0&PageSize=15&Page=1&View.x=0&View.y=0

You may also find one at www.amusicdirect.com.

The version of Tommy on the new Deluxe Edition of LAL absolutely floors the Isle Of Wight CD to my ears. The Deluxe Edition isn't as bad as some people here make out but that's just my opinion, like it's my opinion the MoFi version is better than the rest. To hell with it, why not buy both?!

15. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Just out of curiosity, what do you two (Luke, Kipper) think of the sound on the IOW discs? (It's Astley, right?)

16. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Luke's tweek of the Midas Touch boot sounds great. I'm even wondering if someone bootlegged that one.

17. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Can't remember who remastered it without checking. I've only played it a couple of times, when I first bought it, and have not listened to it since. It's pretty good although IMO the performance (and sound) on the Live At Leeds CD is better to my ears. Now I do have the triple-vinyl pressing on 180g, which I've never played! Need to give a spin at some point and see if I prefer it to the CD.

18. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Astley has a co-credit on the mixing and mastering of IOW, but it is not one of his disastrous solo efforts. Not to say that it is a great job, but it could have been worse. The recording and the performance are not quite at the level of LAL.

Regards,

19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The Mofi Leeds used the same digital master tape that was used on the 1995 standard CD. I haven't heard it, but most people who have say the differences are subtle at best, if not downright nonexistent. I would caution against paying $40 for this...

20. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

If I recall correctly, credits say "produced by Jon Astley and Andy MacPherson", and no mastering engineer is credited. Most likely Astley did not have a hand in the mastering, as IOW came out a couple years before Astley's first credited Who remastering job (Odds and Sods).

21. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I can't understand the hype for THE WHO bootleg!

I say the Deluxe Edition sounds better... than the 95 remix, and better as the Mofi remaster of course! Maybe Lukpac can tell me what kind of stereo he used for comparison...

I think there is a "wall" against british mastering engineers... see the attacks against Jon Astley, Eroc, Pete Mew and others. I can't follow that hyperbole!!! Try and hear the latest TEN YEARS AFTER Deram remasters (by Pete Mew)... they sound amazing! Anyway much better than the last ******** from Chris Athens and Vic Anesini... responsible for the OZZY remasters!

22. floyd

floyd Senior Member

So what do you do to fix them? In the end if you buy an original boot of LALC do you have to make a fixed copy for listening? I have a couple boots with speed problems you mean this can be fixed?

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Well, that was *produced* by Astley, but not mixed or mastered by him.

It's not too bad. I don't like the fact that some songs are edited, though...

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Umm...the Deluxe Edition is one of the worse pieces of garbage I've ever heard. Listen to some of Pete's vocals on the Tommy disc.

I think you're the first person I've ever talked to that's actually liked the DE over, well, anything else.

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

- the dropout in I Can't Explain needs to be fixed, either by taking a piece from the remix or from the "remastered" bootleg.

- the dropout in Magic Bus can be fixed by copying a similar bit from a few bars earlier.

- the speed needs to be fixed from Overture on.

- the balance needs to be fixed from Overture through Sally Simpson.

- there are a lot of other little glitches between songs and such that need to be fixed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.