The Who: Maximum A's & B's (5CD Box Set)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Jul 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Apologies Lukpac, reading it back my post wasn't clear - the part about ICSFM and the released at the time mono/stereo album mixes was for @Summer of Malcontent with regards to his compilation

2. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I'm not including any album mixes unless they were also released on singles. Thus, most of the tracks from the first album on my first disc are the album mono mixes. I'm assuming this is correct: only the US edit of 'The Kids Are Alright' is different, I think. And as far as I know, all the 1960s single releases of 'I Can See for Miles' used the single mix.

marmalade166 likes this.
  3. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

That's cool, just saw that you had included stuff from Meaty Beaty is all and wasn't sure if you knew the single has some massive slabs of Entwistle bass overdubbed on it :D

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Even though I own the 45 and Direct Hits, I didn't know that till just now. The Who's catalogue is absolutely baffling! It's also fascinating though. So many obscure and different mixes of songs.

Until I joined this forum I wasn't aware the UK Track I Can See For Miles 45 was a different mix to the mono Sell Out LP. I haven't played the 45 in a while.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

I know it's an archival Who release and therefore any logical pattern doesn't apply. But considering they chose to add the withdrawn singles, it's a shame the remit for this box couldn't stretch to the possibility of including the original vintage mixes of the unreleased 1970 EP. That would have been a fascinating addition.

EDIT: And yes I know you can hear at least two of them courtesy of the 2011 Japanese releases, but it'd still be nice to have all of them, together in one place.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    tages and aoxomoxoa like this.
  6. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

Don't know how to answer this but...variant mixes and mastering on "Someone's Coming" is very deep The Who stuff.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

So is there a round-up list somewhere here about what's right and what's wrong on this new collection? I find this all so confusing...

8. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

In the booklet, Daltrey is credited for writing "Heaven and Hell" even though the liner notes mention Entwistle as the composer. :sigh:

9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Do we know for a fact that the released versions of those tracks (aside from Postcard, obviously, which has 1974 overdubs by Entwistle) are not the original 1970 mixes?

10. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Being interested in the unreassed songs I never heard before, I was about to buy The Who's 'Maximum As and Bs' CD Box Set, then listened to the partial clips on a website(All Music?), and heard that 2 of the 5 CDs were pre-Tommy' and I do not care for their music from that time period, and skip even their best known hit songs from that time when I play any of their Greatest Hits CDs.

Then the 3rd Disc that includes songs from 'Tommy' makes no sense to me to listen to individually, as that is an album that I appreciate more to listen as one piece of music-IMO(I do the same for 'Quadrophenia' but more so, because it is one of my all time favorite albums, but I can also enjoy the songs from 'Quadrophenia' on a random individual basis). So that left me with only 2 CDs from that Box Set, I would ever listen to, and could not justify the cost even with a lower price option at $52. I guess if one loves all of the early Who Music( no offense to those people who do, but their early music is boring to me), then the Maximum As and Bs Box Set is not expensive at $52 though, but I am a big fan of 'The Lifehouse Project' era and even like the later albums(and Townshend's Solo Albums).

I seem to feel the same way about James Brown , as prefer his more heavier FUNK Songs after Bootsy & Catfish Collins joined his band. I guess for 1966-67, I prefer Psychedelic Rock when I went to discover music from that era. I even like the Stones TSMR more than their other albums, except for 5-6 of their Hit Songs from that era.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    Matthew Tate and maui jim like this.
  11. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

Decided to open the wallet and put the $1.29 down for the iTunes version of this song. What prompted me was someone selling View from a Backstage Pass on Discogs for $74.00. o_O

Now I have correct digital versions of all The Who singles to 1974. Except "5:15," which I have only heard in the LP and '79 soundtrack remix versions

Being a Who fan in the digital era requires a lot of accepting what you can't change.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    Pete Puma and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

It sure would be nice to have a complete set of the original singles (and albums) as released. I have all the LPs, but not the singles as first put out.

13. stephenlee

stephenlee Forum Resident

Several pages back, I made a couple of attempts at putting together such a round-up list. Follow this link to my last attempt, which I think was judged accurate by the resident Who experts here.

pseudopod likes this.
  14. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

Thank you.

15. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I picked up a copy of Direct Hits for the sake of this rare mix (to finally finalize my Who singles comps), and I quite like it. It sounds a bit crisper than the regular single mix to my ears.

In the course of sorting out which version was which, I also found there was yet another alternate mix I wasn't aware of, though it's of the Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy version of the song. I'd assumed that the "Early Version" of 'I'm a Boy' included on the bonus disc that came with some editions of The Ultimate Collection in 2002 was the familiar Meaty Beaty version, but it's a very different mix of the same recording, more than twenty seconds shorter (some of which is the missing introduction before the first line of the song) and with a lot more reverb.

It looks like both versions later appeared on the Japanese 2-disc version of A Quick One, but the bonus EP release (below) suggested that it was previously released (or rather, that it was not "previously unreleased"). Any idea when or if the short mix of this song appeared prior to 2002?
    [​IMG]

Wyd Syatt, Matthew Tate and jsayers like this.
  16. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I have that disc. until you posted it I forgot that not all 4 tracks were unreleased at the time

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I can’t think of any.

18. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

My great girl surprised me with this set (and two Who shirts) for my bday.

Although I understand it might not always use the right mixes I do have to say it's a highly entertaining set. Had a great time listening to it and reading the booklet at the same time. I'd recommend it to any fan! :thumbsup:

19. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Isn't the version of "Happy Jack" on that disc the same one previously released on the 1995 A Quick One?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I can't remember now because its been years since I compared but I thought there was a slight difference

21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Different mix. No cello, if memory serves.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

So your point is that the Who and their associates should have retroactively changed what tracks the released as a- and b-sides to fit your tastes? Pretty strange, if that is anywhere near the point you are making here.

Maybe I read your post the wrong way :sigh:

23. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Dagnabbit... something else to track down... Is there a way to tell the difference in an eBay listing? Maybe best bet is to buy one from a UK seller...

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Different cover, Polydor vs MCA, different catalog number, etc.

The Who - Who's Better, Who's Best

Any Polydor release should be the same. They don't go for much money.

25. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Ugh. I knew that. I blame the old-timers (Alzheimer's). I remember seeing those in Tower and wondering if there was a difference besides the cover. Guess I bought the wrong one, then. Just rectified that now.

:pineapple:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.