The Who-Meaty Beaty Big & Bouncy vinyl reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beatleswho, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

That may have been on US copies. I have never come across a UK Track with an insert. Gatefold sleeve. What puzzles me is the retention of 'Enhanced Stereo' tracks. Was expecting a remaster to go back to mono sources. They must have used the original compilation tape. This sounds very good but yet to compare with my original pressing.

dee and JP Christian like this.
  2. Classicrock

Mono/Stereo marked inside gatefold but 'enhanced stereo' only identified on the labels.

3. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

Too bad we didn't have Youtube in '71. I've never heard this before but boy is it obvious!

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

First time I heard it was yesterday. Good for The Who, they snagged the best part of the song.

John Bliss and marmil like this.
  5. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have 3 Track copies of the Miles 45 and they all sound the same. Was trying to find a good sounding one in vain. They make your ears bleed. No wonder it wasn’t a hit in England,unfortunately.

dee and lukpac like this.
  6. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Ya have to play it on a period system in order to hear what they heard. Then it doesn't sound so bad! Whoa to us and our modern 'discriminating' systems.

luckyno13 likes this.
  7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Then it just sounds worse.

8. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Let me clarify several things. First, I’m not saying the original is best. I’m just saying I enjoyed it growing up and to rerelease as is isn’t the end of the world.

Second, I’ve never researched beyond the original, and so am ashamed to say I’ve not heard Steve’s cd. I’ll fix that.

dee, dkmonroe and SteelyNJ like this.
  9. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Nah. I never forgot my lessons in Rock & Roll 101.

10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I was listening to it again for the first time in a couple years last night, and it's fantastic. You won't be disappointed. I think it can still be picked up very cheaply. I paid about $6 for mine.

dee and lucan_g like this.
  11. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

Could someone give the cat no. or discogs ref. for Steve's CD version?

12. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As far as I know, all MCA CDs have the same mastering, although some Canadian CDs have some songs level shifted.

The Who - Meaty Beaty Big And Bouncy

14. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Yes, Direct Hits did not feature the 45 mix. Terrible-sounding record (because of all the fake stereo) as others have stated.

lukpac likes this.
  15. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

"It makes The Beatles' Second Album sound more rock n' roll!" and so forth, and so on....

ibanez_ax likes this.
  16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

This forum was started to fill the gap left when the old DCC forum shut down. As such, it began as an audiophile forum, though the scope of discussion widened over time.

Since it's a discussion forum, that means by definition there's going to be differences of opinion. The very nature of discussion is that if you express an opinion someone may disagree and express a contradictory opinion. The goal isn't to put you on the defensive, it is to discuss. I don't mean this in a snide way, but if you feel uncomfortable defending your opinions then expressing them in a discussion forum setting is probably not the best thing for you.

Gardo and dkmonroe like this.
  17. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Seriously not the case. My son has one of those "Victrola" turntables in his room (basically a Crosley) and there's '60s stuff which flat out sounds better - beefier and and more powerful - with its cheap stylus and speakers than it does on my system. (Like the Beatles' Capitol albums, actually.) And then other stuff flat-out sounds far better on my living room system.

18. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

Oh, I've got this one then, thanks.
    However, I checked it out because of this thread and I find it a bit harsh and inconsistent sounding (sorry Steve).
    As this thread has the best Who minds currently. which is the best sounding compilation that also covers these tracks?
    I also have Then and Now and Hits 50! I don't like those either!
    Sorry, I know this is a minefield.

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Some tracks are great, some are OK, some aren't so great. Offhand, I want to say that's the only place to get the 45 mix of Pictures of Lily properly mastered. And Magic Bus comes from the stereo master tape.

dee and John Bliss like this.
  20. Classicrock

Classic Records transformed Direct Hits by going back to mono sources. At least the duophonic tracks on MBB&B are way better sounding than the original Direct Hits. Actually DH original stereo has got to be about the worst sounding LP I have and I think was the first long player I purchased.

I'm confused by Magic Bus on this reissue. It sounds like proper stereo but is marked on the label as 'enhanced stereo'.

21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Are you sure Happy Jack and Pictures of Lily are different on Direct Hits?

Magic Bus is fake stereo (and the alt version) on LP, true stereo in Steve’s CD.

22. Classicrock

I'm not sure about different sources but the LP is just badly cut in any case so it sounds worse no matter what.

23. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

It states that because I updated the discogs record before I played the record. I figured it be good to know what mixes were on the re-issue. I didn't add the "this information...", that was there all ready, just the track information. I can confirm the accuracy of the mixes are correct on the label. The inner jacket information on the inner jacket only list the mono tracks, no mention of "enhanced stereo". The fake stereo track still sound less than desirable. In a full listening, I am annoyed by the use of the fake stereo tracks. The true mono and stereo tracks draw attention to the fake stereo mixes. This should have been a better release, especially since they went through all the effort to half-speed master it. I would have preferred the mono singles mixes rather than jumping around between mix formats, for a more even sound.

JP Christian likes this.
  24. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

My thoughts exactly - I bought it as I was hoping for this classic compilation album to be an upgrade over an original, i.e. no fake stereo - I feel like I've wasted my money.

25. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Yup, well I already decided against buying this, as I said over the last four days, since the post of mine you quoted.
    I had even unwatched this thread, since I no longer care, and had moved on with my life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.