The Who - My Generation Super Deluxe Edition box set coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Sep 13, 2016.

1. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

What demos do you expect to be included that haven't been previously released.

You apparently have the inside Scoop, so dish it out........:cool:

2. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Found some info. According to Anyway Anyhow Anywhere:

Tuesday 16 March (1965):
    ...a session with Talmy, either at Pye or IBC Studios, included versions of Eddie Holland's "Leaving Here" and Marvin Gaye's "Baby Don't You Do It". The master tapes appear lost, but both tracks were remastered (from a Pye acetate) and released on the revamped Odds and Sods CD in 1998.

That's about as good as we're going to get.

Dave Hoos and WhoTapes1 like this.
  3. KinkySmallFace1991

I see what you did there.

Dave Hoos and reb like this.
  4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What My Generation demos have been released?

Scoop:
    Circles

Another Scoop:
    La-La-La-Lies
    The Kids Are Alright

My Generation itself was released as a flexi-disc with the Richard Barnes book, but beyond that...

St. Troy and Hep Alien like this.
  5. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

So I wonder if it will have more of the Talmy tapes..

The Who | My Generation »

The Who - The Shel Talmy Sessions

Apparently this is a pre-mastered 3 CD MCA test pressing set (CDs 1 & 2 pictured on previous page) with 51 tracks of final mixes, alternate mixes, count-offs, etc. Interesting variations in sound quality due to the pre-mastering. Often fans like to second guess why a song was mastered one way or another. By listening to these CDs, you get a feel for some of the decisions that were made. For example, in some cases, Keith's cymbals are so loud that they crash right through your ears - they're too loud. The released version's mastering "fixes" that, giving the same section a smooth sound.

Track listing:

Disc 1:Daddy Rolling Stone, Bald Headed Woman, Lubie, Motoring, Instant Party Mixture, Heatwave, Shout And Shimmy, Leaving Here, I Can't Explain (alt. mix), The Good's Gone (full length version), My Generation (instrumental version), Out In The Street (alt. mix), Anytime You Want Me (a cappella mix), Lubie (alt.), Motoring (alt.), Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere (alt. mix without backing vocals), Instant Party Mixture (a cappella mix)
    Disc 2: Lubie, Lubie (alt.), I Can't Explain, I Can't Explain (alt. mix), Bald Headed Woman, Out In The Street, Out In The Street, Motoring, Motoring (alt.), I'm A Man, Heatwave, Daddy Rolling Stone, Please, Please, Please, Shout And Shimmy, I Don't Mind, The Ox, A Legal Matter, Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere, Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere (alt.), Circles, Instant Party Mixture, Instant Party Mixture (a cappella mix), Leaving Here, Anytime You Want Me, Anytime You Want Me (a cappella mix)
    Disc 3: Out In The Street, The Good's Gone (edited version), La La La Lies, Much Too Much, My Generation, The Kids Are Alright, Please, Please, Please, It's Not True, Anytime You Want Me

The Shel Talmy Tapes

I've had the fortunate privilege of listening to a copy of Shel's master tapes (some of which are included in the "My Generation Deluxe" CD release). There's about 2 hours and 45 minutes of material, which includes released versions of the songs, outtakes of the same, and one previously unreleased song (see track listing #49 below). The sound quality of all of this material is excellent.

Track listing of the master tapes:

Note: the information in the brackets [ ] are relevant to the take and mix #. Not every track had one described or I just wasn't able to distinguish what they were saying. The comments below the tracks reflect the description that I wrote down as I was listening to the music. There may be some errors as I didn't actually a/b these versions to each other (in the case of multiple takes), or the released versions (except with "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere").

1. "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" [???] No backing vocals. French EP version.

2. "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" [mix 2] Sounds similar, but different mix of French EP version.

3. "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" [mix 1, take 1] Seems to be the French EP version

4. "Out In The Street" [mix 2, final, take 1] Different drumming and guitar parts (complete song)

5. "Out In The Street" [mix 1, take 2] Stops shortly after start.

6. "Out In The Street" [3] Stops shortly after start.

7. "Out In The Street" [4] About ¾ of the song, then stopped.

8. "Out In The Street" [6] Stopped almost immediately after start.

9. "Out In The Street" [7] Cool "feedback" guitar part. (complete song)

10. "Out In The Street" [???] Seems to be LP version, but backing vocals are mixed down.

11. "Lubie" [???] Seems to be the same as on "Who's Missing".

12. "Lubie" [Final Mix] Much higher guitar and much lower drums than above version. Pete Townshend would like this one!

13. "Please, Please, Please" [???] Vocals upfront mix.

14. "Please, Please, Please" [mix 1, take 1] Seems to be the same as the LP version.

15. "Heatwave" [mix 2, take 4] A bit more upbeat than the "Two's Missing" version.

16. "Heatwave" [mix 2, take 4] Seems to be the same as the "Two's Missing" version. Some tape wobble at song's end.

17. "Heatwave" [mix 2, take 1] Compressed mix.

18. "Heatwave" [edit take 1] Edited version. Starts near end of song.

19. "Heatwave" [2 edit] Edited version. Starts near end of song.

20. "I Don't Mind" [take 1, mix 1] Roger banter before song start. Blusier version than LP. Vocal changes and different extended ending as well.

21. "I Don't Mind" [mix 2, take 1] Different mix of take 1 (above).

22. "Shout And Shimmy" [???] Similar/Same as released version.

23. "Shout And Shimmy" [???] Different backing vocals and no backing vocals in other parts.

24. "Daddy Rolling Stone" [???] No backing vocals. Different vocal and guitar parts.

25. "Daddy Rolling Stone" [take 2] No backing vocals. Longer ending than released version.

26. "Daddy Rolling Stone" [take 2, mix final] This version has backing vocals and longer ending than released version(s).

27. "Motor-Vating" ("Two's Missing" title, "Motoring") [Take 1] No backing vocals. Voice on tape says, "Motor-Vating, take 1"]

28. "Motor-Vating" [mix 2, take 1] Compressed mix with backing vocals.

29. "It's Not True" [3] LP version.

30. "La La La Lies" [take 4] LP version.

31. "Much Too Much" [???] LP version.

32. "The Good's Gone" [4] LP version with extended guitar ending.

33. "Anytime You Want Me" [mix 2, take 1] False start.

34. "Anytime You Want Me" [2] Roger sings end part in a higher octave.

35. "Anytime You Want Me" [take 3] Roger forgets lyrics and song stops. Some band banter follows. Tape wobble in the middle.

36. "Anytime You Want Me" [take 4] Roger singing ending in higher octave.

37. "Anytime You Want Me" [mix 1, take 1] Same/Similar to released version.

38. "Anytime You Want Me" [take 1, mix 2] Same/Similar to released version.

39. "Anytime You Want Me" [???] Edited ending only.

40. "Anytime You Want Me" [take 2] Cut short after start. Pete Townshend discusses Roger's vocal part.

41. "Leaving Here" [3] Same as "Who's Missing" version.

42. "I'm A Man" [mix 1, take 1] 2nd ½ of the song is instrumental only.

43. "I'm A Man" [take 2] Same/similar to "My Generation" LP version.

44. "My Generation" [???] Seems slightly different to released version.

45. "The Kids Are Alright" [???] Same/similar to released version.

46. "My Generation" [???] Same/similar to released version.

47. "The Kids Are Alright" [take 1] Pete tunes his guitar before start. Compressed vocal mix.

48. "Circles" (released as "Instant Party") [mix 1, take 4] Same/similar to "Who Sings My Generation" version, Dutch LP "Instant Party" version and Euro & Japanese "b" side versions of "A Legal Matter".

49. "Instant Party Mixture" (unreleased song) [???] The demo of this song, originally titled as "Instant Party" appeared on a bootleg joined with "La La La Lies" and titled (incorrectly) as "Party & Lies". The Who version features Roger on lead vocals. It also features Pete, Keith and John each singing one verse each. The song ends with a "Johnny Be Good" instrumental jam at the end.

50. "The Ox" [take 1] Similar/Same as released version. Voice before song says, "Instrumental, take 1."

51. "A Legal Matter" [take 5] Similar/Same as released version, but with a longer ending.

52. "Lubie" [take 1] No backing vocals.

53. "Out In The Street" [first mix, 2] Seems to be a different take than released version.

54. "I Can't Explain" [???] Same as released version, but much cleaner sound.

55. "Bald Headed Woman" [???] Same as released version, but much cleaner sound and extended ending.

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As you can see, there's not really much that didn't get released. At least in the tapes that Talmy turned over to Universal.

St. Troy, dee and LSP2003 like this.
  7. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

True, but if they are trying to throw as much stuff as possible there are at least some contenders.

8. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Just another attempt to get more money from fans in time for Christmas.
    I'm sure I'd like something on this box, but wonder how much of it I have,
    and am sick of buying the same things over again. I'll probably pass.
    Be interesting maybe to see what they're actually including.
    5 discs is a lot. Of money.

parman, Dave Hoos and trumpet sounds like this.
  9. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Reb, I'll just have to wait and see what all is on it before I decide. As far as saving money goes, I'm afraid not - wait until you see the Who album I'll be posting on my timeline in a week or so, lol!

10. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Possibly they'll break it down into smaller releases from the box like they did with the Tommy SDE box set.

11. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Yes, I was just passing on information that I had read John Atkins say about the Charlton '76 attempted pro recording on another Who forum about 8 years ago.

12. KinkySmallFace1991

How does it compare to the Charlton '74 show? I particularly like what I've seen and heard from that show. Apparently, a couple of Stones went to the '74 show...

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Correction 1975 mix

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

What a weird album to create a super deluxe box around. Hardly their greatest effort...and we already seem to have nearly all of what might be on such a box outside of some ephemera.

parman, izgoblin and lukpac like this.
  15. pool_of_tears

All interesting and "new" to me.

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  16. pool_of_tears

76 has a more concise setlist, and I doubt Pete was drunk in 76 like he was in 74

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  17. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Can we collectively compile a list of Pete Townshend demo recordings made during this time period. I'm honestly not fully knowledgeable of what might exist.

From Scoop

Things Have Changed

Genuine Scoop (boot)

It's Not True

Another Scoop

Call Me Lightning

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    St. Troy and Hep Alien like this.
  18. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Apparently there was a malfunction with the recording, so likely nothing was salvaged from it - that's why they decided to record Swansea. And yes, at Charlton '74 you can see both Ron Wood & Keith Richards behind the stage with Moon right before the show on the video.

19. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Up for pre-order at Amazon.uk

108.99 GBP

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  20. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

AS I'm a Who fan but not a hardcore one I like the idea of this box. Much of it will be new for me so I'm satisfied. Bring it on.

21. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Ouch! I was hoping it would start out under $100.00 U.S. dollars, lol!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  22. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Pretty spendy for something with no information. It would be interesting to see how many blind pre-orders they get.o_O

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I've never understood this line of thinking. Why does it matter? o_O One can cancel with just a click...

24. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

It doesn't matter. I guess I just like to see what I'm getting before I click Buy - probably my trust issues. :laugh:Can I really trust Amazon?

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  25. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

I wonder if there's a chance that this is the long awaited box set and they just happen to be calling it "My Generation?"
    I know I'm reaching here but one can dream.