The Who - My Generation Super Deluxe Edition box set coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Sep 13, 2016.

1. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Well, even with live Who audience recordings, I’m still always searching for the best possible sounding source for any existing concert recording & sources closest to the master tape. And of course I’m going to do the same with official live Who releases as well.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  2. TakiJones

TakiJones Senior Member

Does that Japan mono SHM CD have the same mastering as the SHM SACD that came out 2 years later?

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

UIGY-9593 is nearly identical to UICY-94802/3, with only tiny differences in the fades. Of course, the SACD only contains the album, while the CD set has a lot of bonus tracks.

4. TakiJones

TakiJones Senior Member

5. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

No worries there. At least not professionally anyway. Especially at this stage of my life.

I have mastered something like 1000+ live audience tapes to digital/CDR over the years though, strictly as a hobby & for the love of the music, sharing the results with friends or via various internet resources where bands allow it. There is such a thing as being able to strike a balance of removing intrusive hissssss and other analog audible artifacts (EG: electronic hum) without affecting the result negatively. I've had to do that to clean up some old cassettes that were unlistenable without it. Luckily most of the stuff I worked on was from master tapes and didn't need any of that, but something like an old 5th generation cassette copy of a live show from the early 1970s really needed it.

I repeat my full statement again though - "Hissss does REALLY bother me though. I would rather hear noise reduced rolled off treble than hiss which just makes my tinnitus even more unbearable." Tinnitus sucks. And hearing hiss on top of it sucks worse. No further snarky comments on my hearing like "please never get involved in mastering" is appreciated.

6. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

There's this one, too: The Who - My Generation

All mono masters, and pretty much a one stop shop for all Talmy produced Who tracks. Album/singles and leftovers.
    I love it! Still available for a good price (U.S. $15.30+shipping) at: My Generation +12 [SHM-CD] [Priced-Down Reissue] The Who CD Album

detroit muscle likes this.
  7. Joeinator97

Joeinator97 Forum Resident

Fk that - give us a By Numbers set with some '75-76 shows! one of their best tours

Billy_Sunday and Oyster Boy like this.
  8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

9. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

True, but not horribly so (at least to me)

[​IMG]

I think it sounds good, and I usually prefer no limiting.

Billy_Sunday and WhoTapes1 like this.
  10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's not terrible, but it's better without the limiting. It's a shame the 2012 mono CD hasn't been reissued as a budget release.

Maffune likes this.
  11. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

That's what I meant to say. Thank you

lukpac likes this.
  12. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

I compare it to the Who Phases vinyl version (comparing by memory) and the 99 MFSL CD. The 2CD deluxe is slightly harsher then the 40th edition (first CD only) IMHO, but I have not heard the HDTracks which seems to win the day both on this forum and by the DR figures.

13. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

might read through this entire thread again but what are peoples opinions on this set? roughly how much would you say its worth? anything on the 2 cd deluxe edition missing from here other than the versions of songs lacking overdubs on the 2 cd set?

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

DR numbers have nothing to do with it. The 2014 mixes are completely different, and superior in nearly every way.

Totally different mixes on the DE.

pablo fanques and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. PixieStix

PixieStix Forum Resident

The (2014) HD tracks of My Generation is the same mastering as the (2012) SHM-CD?

16. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

I’m pretty sure the 2014 HD tracks for My Generation had a brand new mastering, but I could be wrong.

17. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

@lukpac you’re up

18. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I was on the fence with this box set for quite some time, and had pretty much decided to pass on it, but reluctantly acquired it due to a great sale price on Amazon UK. It think the general consensus is mixed, partially due to a couple of content errors (such as the "Circles" issue), but overall, I think it is a very nice celebratory package for the My Generation period. The book is impressive as well. No regrets.

How much is it worth? Depends how much you like the album and associated material. The "My Generation" album has never been a favorite of mine, so unless a good deal came along, I was never going to acquire it. Frankly, most of the super deluxe box sets for The Who have been way overpriced. "Quadrophenia" is perhaps the band's greatest achievement, but the box set was so completely flawed, that it took a major sale on that one to justify a purchase as well. If you can get "My Generation" in the $50 - $75 range, it is probably worth it. But again, it depends how much you like the material in question.

Ryan Lux and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Correct. The HD (and later SDE) is from an inferior source.

Electric Sydney likes this.
  20. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I have both of the listed releases from Japan and also I have the 2008 SHM box from Japan UICY-93533/4. The later see link below to Discogs is a very nice package but I think does sound slightly different. Anyone know why or is it me?
    The Who - My Generation Box

The sacd has both mono and stereo albums.
    Apologies just read a post a bit further up this page for my answer.
    This album sure has seen some different mastering/versions over the years. I need to dig out my Virgin vinyl version from the late 70's/early 80s and do a transfer.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The 2008 box has different mastering, notably much louder.

Flaming Torch and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

I've received this box today after ordering it earlier this week. This is the first time I have bought a more recent deluxe edition while I already had a previous deluxe edition of the same album. Ok, it was one of the first deluxe editions I ever owned, but still...

dee likes this.
  23. Wyd Syatt

Wyd Syatt Forum Resident

Very informative thread, thank you all.

One or two questions though :

It has been said, lot of times, that the mono album is of better source and quality in the JPM 2012 SHM-CD (The Who - My Generation ) than in the SDE.
    But what about the mono A&B-Sides and leftovers from the cancelled 1st version of the album ?
    Is it the same ?

Could someone please confirm the absence of two 2014 stereo mixes on this SDE ?...
    ...And give Title/Disc/Track# found on 2014 HD DL.

Bonus question : Where can I find the best vinyl transfer of 'Circles (original Brunswick B-Side version)' ?
    :)

Thanks

24. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

The best mono album is the SACD, IMO. The b-sides/leftovers are best found on the SHM-CD.

Prof Stoned

25. Captain Rogers

Captain Rogers Forum Resident

Couldn't find a thread on the 3LP Mono, might have missed it in here but does anyone know what the source is? Did they use the master? Analog or digital?

Aplogies if I missed this info. Juat wondering if this cut is a an upgrade to the Virgin pressing. Thinking of picking it up if that's the case