The Who - My Generation Super Deluxe Edition box set coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Sep 13, 2016.

1. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

PETE???

2. Dwight Fry

Dwight Fry Forum Resident

That's kind of the problem--1966-1968 was that era of the Who for which, back in the 70's and 80's, there were a bunch of interesting outtakes that were bootleg-only. Off the top of my head: the BBC stuff, "Early Morning Cold Taxi", "Melancholia", "Fortune Teller", "Cousin Kevin Model Child", "Jaguar", "Man With The Money"--all of these were quite familiar to fans via bootleg (well, to me, anyway), and it wasn't until the reissues kicked off in 1994 with the "Thirty Years..." boxed set that these tracks "officially" joined the catalog. The expanded "Quick One" and "Sell Out" CD's were released the same day, and I vividly recall bringing them home and playing them both non-stop. I still say that the 1995 version of "The Who Sell Out" is my all-time favorite expanded album.

Really, the only way to fluff out "A Quick One" and/or "The Who Sell Out" to a three-disc-plus "super deluxe" box at this point would be to dig out more Townshend demos. Which is OK by me--I love 'em; it's just that I'm sick of people complaining about them.

3. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

If The Who are going to reside in Vegas, Lifehouse would be ideal. Hence a Whos Next / Lifehouse deluxe would fit right in as well. Are the stars aligned?

dee likes this.
  4. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I got into the Who in the 90s, so these cds were my first exposure to a lot of the original albums, plus the bonuses.
    It was a pretty good time to be a Who fan.

5. dee

dee Senior Member

I never thought of that.
    I wonder if or what might have been excised from the album track and how or if any of the different sections are indeed edited? An interesting proposition. Pete's demo has never surfaced afaik. Not sure, don't remember, if the hybrid version from 30 years box set offer any clues? AQO Super Deluxe would be near the bottom of my Who Wishlist but not so if the multis for HJ and Sub and the title track + more were found. I'd be buying.

6. Pete19

Pete19 New Member

I don't understand why Out In The Street (alternate take 1) differs from the album version. It seems the same.

7. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Anybody else notice that "Heatwave" and "Instant Party Mixture" sound considerably better on the 2002 release? For the most part I love everything about this set but those two were shockingly inferior

daveidmarx and Pete19 like this.
  8. Pete19

Pete19 New Member

I am 15 and I also love this set and about Heatwave and Instant Party Mixture you're right, they sound better in the 2002 deluxe edition.
    What I don't understand on the 2016 set are Out In The Street (alternate take 1), The Kids Are Alright (alternate take 1) and Out In The Street (alternate take 2).

sathvyre and pablo fanques like this.
  9. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

I wasn't sure where to ask this question so I figured I would just ask it here. Has there been a single disc release of just the mono mix from the Super Deluxe Box set? Preferably with some of the associated singles ("I Can't Explain", etc).

10. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I had this box for Christmas, well it had been in the house since July but could only have it at Christmas, got it from Amazon France for some silly price. For the silly price it is great, not sure if it was worth the "big box" price though. Slowly going through the book and have played all the discs. Quite a bit of repetition but then I can't complain considering I have about 4 different versions of this album already. :) Came from France in a plastic back so that there is a nice dent in the top of the box at the rear, but ce la vie.

11. recordhead

recordhead Forum Resident

This has been the most confusing thing I've ever read. After reading every post I'm still confused on which CD edition I should own. I was lucky enough to pick up an original UK pressing of My Generation on Brunswick a few years ago for around $60.

12. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Jap SHM "My Generation" box.

The Who - My Generation Box

13. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

My understanding that for mono this 2012 Japan SHM mini sleeve package is the best.
    Hopefully others will give their views.

The Who - My Generation

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That's the one. Better mastering than the 2008 box.

15. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

is there anything on the 2002 Deluxe that is not on the 5-cd set? trying to figure out whether i should get the 2-cd as well. off-hand (and i could be overlooking it), "Anytime You Want Me" (a cappella version) appears unique to the 2-cd...

any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

16. I have both. As an avid collector, it’s necessary. YMMV.

WhoTapes1 and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

do you know the answer to the question though? i'm looking for unique tracks for my archive. :)

18. No that’s @lukpac territory. I was looking at it from a completest standpoint.

Matthew Tate and Justin Brooks like this.
  19. CrazyBrown

CrazyBrown Forum Resident

There are mixes that are unique across both.

For example several of the songs have rerecorded overdubs on the box set that are missing from the 2002 deluxe.

If I remember correctly, the 2002 had very narrow stereo mix and the super deluxe had a wider stereo soundscape.

I ended up keeping both for those reasons.

20. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

To my ears, when listening through the cans, the 2014 stereo mix is definitely wider, but not by a large margin, especially when compared to the Shel Talmy produced stereo songs that were included on the ‘Who’s/Two’s Missing’ albums - now those are some wide stereo mixes!

CrazyBrown likes this.
  21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

1965 stereo mixes: guitar hard left, vocals center, backing hard right
    2002 stereo mixes: some have the guitar left and the vocals and backing centered, others are essentially fake stereo (Much Too Much)
    2014 stereo mixes: panning roughly similar to the 1965 stereo mixes, but not as wide and with additional effects and overdubs

And: the master 3-tracks for many songs have still not been located/utilized for remixes, leading to missing and alternate overdubs.

tages, jerrygene, Man at C&A and 7 others like this.
  22. Dwight Fry

For all of the deluxe editions that have popped up over the years, I'm still kind of partial to my old MCA CD copy of "The Who Sings My Generation".

Ryan Lux likes this.
  23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Assuming you have the mono version, and not the original fake stereo version, it's actually very good. Unfortunately TKAA is edited and Circles is the awful needledrop used on the original LP.

24. Dwight Fry

Well, I know all that now...sometimes I think the reason I compulsively seek out these mix variants is so that I can then go back and listen to the original no-frills versions of the albums, content with the knowledge that at least I know exactly what I'm missing.

25. Dwight Fry

Is there a good thread to ask about Pete Townshend mix variants?

I was listening to "Classified" which I pulled from a bootleg CD version of the 1972 Glastonbury Fayre album, and I guess I always wondered how it compares (remix or remake?) to the 1980 "Let My Love Open The Door" b-side version. Ditto for "Greyhound Girl"--how does the 1980 version compare with the 1999 "Lifehouse Chronicles" version?

(NOTE: I'm not seeking audiophile analysis as to which version sounds better; I'm just asking whether these different releases contain essentially the same recording.)

Matthew Tate and MerseyBeatle like this.