The Who - New Box Set for 2015?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marc with a c, Jun 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

This is a new version. I think the KBFH mix doesn't bury any instruments and its clear and sharp. The Who's web site version of three songs sounds muddy to me. What don't you like about the KBFH version?

2. dee

dee Senior Member

Yes Boris that would seem logical. But what new pickings of actual unreleased songs or really different mixes or performances might be left after the already released bonus songs from WAY of No Road Romance and Empty Glass and from FD of It's In Ya, I Like Nightmares, and Somebody Saved Me, whilst there's been nothing like the above from #'s or It's Hard?

Townshend included Dance It Away as a bonus track on his own Chinese Eyes remaster. I wonder is Pete or Universal wanting to be going to ' demo up' on potential deluxe releases of those last 4 Who 20th century studio albums or if Pete work those demos into his own reworked solo catalogue releases. A few more new songs and a few EW leftovers might be on the table for the box set. You know I am of the idea as a fact that Dance It Away, Empty Glass, I Like Nightmares and even No Road Romance, afaik include at the time all living members of The Who involved in them except Roger. We've only read about Roger singing on Eminence Front and Blue Red and Grey. In that vein, I could be interested in hearing him at least attempt one of those previous songs like Dance It Away which is such a catchy song that ended up buried in relative obscurity when it might have actually charted with a little more production work or time in it.

A lot to consider but much that is probably not even if it might not be a good or bad idea or want to be undertaken or put thought into. Same with Things Have Changed and You're So Clever and more Pete demos. They are great as they are imo but doesn't mean they can't be recast, reworked, and recorded as such as part of a set like this (I guess some of that plays into Pete's perception of what he imagines is a Who song and what isn't which to me has always seemed a slippery slope - Is Imagine A Man a 'Who' song? Love is Coming Down? Helpless Dancer? Welcome?) which can't adversely affect what's already a done demo that stands on its own merits. But they ain't my songs and not my band so I'm just writing out loud here.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Yes, however that does not mean it won't be re-released on a higher profile box set. Plus, we don't know for sure that there isn't more to the footage than the 8 minutes included in Amazing Journey. I haven't actually seen the Lambert and Stamp documentary myself, so I'm not privy to what footage may have shown up in that film.

4. dee

dee Senior Member

It's the combo of actually seeing the band perform those unique cover songs and the rare audio recording that make it entertaining and able for me to revisit more than once or twice. More of that footage to more of that music would have me pretty firmly entrenched in the buyer's camp. Fingers crossed. The audio alone gets many less listens but with additional video that would be sweet. May have to give it a look see this evening.

jsayers and reb like this.
  5. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Given their history with best of compilations ("this one is for all the toddlers who weren't born when the last one came out") I'm afraid you might be correct.

Quadboy, Dave Hoos and Boris number 9 like this.
  6. Boris number 9

Boris number 9 Forum Resident

They could be releasing it to sell slowly to the people about to be born. Post gen X Who fans according to computer sims & genetic profile.

Or maybe there are some never before released studio and live songs as well as alternate takes and mixing. Which will be on the box set. I recognize most posters in this thread seem to think that is highly unlikely.

Is there anyone here that thinks there will be a number of previously unreleased tracks.

7. Boris number 9

I like the way they reissued the first three albums, My Gen, Quick one and Sell Out. All three albums had over an albums worth of unreleased songs. So they had a lot and they gave you a lot for the money. I know they only have 20-30 tracks left or whatever the number is. I hope the new box set doesn't cost a hundred bucks and you only get three new songs.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  8. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

Yes...but a number of previously unreleased tracks could be as little as two or three.

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  9. Dave Hoos

No, it will cost a hundred and eighty bucks...and you only get three new songs.

Tommyboy, Fletch, howlinrock and 3 others like this.
  10. Boris number 9

Well I hope they do better than that! The other thing, now that I think about it. The tiered price structure, where they offer it 3 different ways, you know $89 for the basic $159 for the deluxe and $269 for the one with a coffee table book & signed T shirt. And the expensive option has "2" extra unreleased bonus tracks. That's the point where I start screaming, throwing things and calling the radio station to organize a bonfire.

Why don't they just tell us already. What are they trying to hide!

Dave Hoos likes this.
  11. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I can't recall seeing any unfamiliar/new Railway footage in it,except possibly audience members dancing.

marc with a c likes this.
  12. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Nobody knows what to expect.I imagine the track list is subject to change if anything else is discovered/donated!
    those people behind the scenes always get over excited about any new release............especially at the official site!
    A lot of rarities were withheld from the previous box...........but they were rightly used on the CD reissues.

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Of course, the Philly 1973 WGFA has already been available for 15+ years on that King Biscuit Best of the Best: 25 Years of Rock CD. And it's also on View From a Backstage Pass, albeit with that odd apparently-overdubbed acoustic guitar.

Dave Hoos, WhoTapes1 and lukpac like this.
  14. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Wow, listen to how loud Entwistle's bass was in 1973. And of course you can hear the acoustic guitar backing track. Iirc, it's the same track as heard on Pete's original demo.

15. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Mixing the Who live should be easy: put Townshend's guitar on the right, Entwistle's bass on the left, and Moon's drums and Daltrey's voice in the middle. The KBFH mix doesn't follow this simple formula. Instead, they have pretty much everything piled in the center except the drums and backing vocals. It's a weird, lousy mix. As has been noted, the only way to hear some of these songs in a proper Who-style mix is the 7-song remix from 1999, the official release of WGFA on the King Biscuit compilation, and the three Philadelphia 1973 tracks on View from a Backstage Pass.

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's just the acoustic guitar from the backing track, no? (albeit really loud for some reason)

And, yes, I agree with Jason's statements about the KBFH mixes. And I like stereo drums, but I seem to recall some odd panning going on with them from those shows.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  17. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Yes, but WGFA on the Best Of The Best KBFH disc was mastered way louder than the remastered/remixed tracks from the 1999 KBFH broadcast disc. On this '05 radio broadcast disc, WGFA's volume level is perfectly on the same level as the other 8 remastered/remixed tracks - any additional track at this excellent sound quality level is huge!

Quadboy likes this.
  18. Dave Hoos

And the one for $369 when you get an actual coffee table!

Tommyboy likes this.
  19. Boris number 9

Some of those snippets from the Railway Hotel in 64, such as young man blues, I don't remember from that black & white footage at all. There must be more they never showed. Why would they keep recording audio and not keep filming, when the entire purpose was to film them.

20. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

It was filmed in it's entirety.
    The AJ dvd footage is all that's been found of it.

Boris number 9 likes this.
  21. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

I'm sure I read an interview in Record Collector magazine (maybe another magazine) where Daltrey says that the b&w '64 footage used in the AJ bonus disc is all that was recovered (not all the footage that was actually shot). Daltrey, by the way, is the one who bought that footage, so he should know better than anyone.

dee and Boris number 9 like this.
  22. Boris number 9

Why is the rest of the visual lost, and yet they have tons more audio as we heard yesterday, that's not on film.

Were there multiple sources doing audio recordings by coincidence.

23. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The claim as I understand it, is that the 8 odd minutes of footage show in AJ is there because it's complete and uninterrupted. It's possible there could be segments of the recovered film that they decided not release. Either because the film was damaged or the songs were incomplete.

scotsport likes this.
  24. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Film and audio recordings are done seperately.so it appears they've become seperated.unless the owner decided to sell a copy of the audio reel to the bootleggers,but not the film footage.
    Video tape sources have audio dubbed onto it as it's shot.

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  25. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

The film and audio for 1979 Kampuchea show were separated. So it's possible. Especially in The Who archives. Let's hope someone is getting the archives in order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.