The Who - New Box Set for 2015?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marc with a c, Jun 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

"Sparks" is the best thing about the Woodstock performance:)

DrBeatle likes this.
  2. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

Beautiful noise :o

izgoblin and DrBeatle like this.
  3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Just to be clear, it isn't really an issue that "most of the drums weren't miked" (Glyn Johns usually only used 4 mics for the whole kit, for example), but that the mics used weren't positioned and mixed the best.

Definitely well recorded. I find much of the performance leaves a bit to be desired, though. Still good, but not amazing by Who standards.

4. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Thanks for the clarification. I had read somewhere about the Woodstock recording a number of years ago.

lukpac likes this.
  5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

He hit hard enough to be heard and recorded :)

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I honestly find it more frustrating when watching than just listening. For me, when listening, it is what it is, but when watching, you're really aware that certain parts of the kit can barely be heard, despite being seen. Like in the Amazing Journey/Sparks video above, the snare and kick come through loud and clear, but there's plenty of cymbal work that can be seen but barely heard.

That said, I certainly wouldn't complain if the full show was released, both audio and video.

DrBeatle likes this.
  7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I am also not convinced that Daltrey and Townshend put a lot of thought, analysis, and emphasis into the band's past. The devoted fan-base is consumed with specifics and details about sessions, mixes, particular concert years, etc. that Daltrey and Townshend likely cannot be bothered with. A faction of the fan-base focuses on a handful of concerts with Keith Moon from a narrow time period; whereas Daltrey likely views the band's legacy as containing decades of work and is likely focused more on his current touring commitments and creative goals than the reality that there are a couple of multitracked concerts from San Francisco '71 that have yet to be released. He also might be under the delusion that the band's current work supersedes the results from 40 years ago. Several years back Daltrey was asked about archival live shows from one of the band's official website Q&A sessions, and he completely dismissed the notion that the band was sitting on vintage shows from the'70s and simply said the band has released everything (obviously referring to the encore releases). Townshend was asked about the archives in another official website Q&A around the same time and said he handed over control of the archives to Universal and that fans needed to contact Universal about vault releases, and he also stated that he and Roger had never discussed creating a collector's label for archival recordings like Townshend did with eelpie and his own official website.

There is so much that has not "trickled out" over the years, that one senses the lack of archival material from the Moon-era is more due to catalogue mismanagement and oversight than anything else more deliberate.

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

You Better You Bet was a hit in '79...

9. Boris number 9

Boris number 9 Forum Resident

What? That doesn't make sense. The album was 81.

I wonder if that Kit Lambert footage where the WHO do glittering girl, if there is a whole take of that. It sounded similar to, but almost superior to the actual bonus track on Sell Out. How is it possible the film footage sounds at least as good as the record. They must done a whole take while they were there

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Boris number 9 likes this.
  11. Boris number 9

Yeah he doesn't even know! The al um was 81 I assume the single probably was also. Good live rendition.

12. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I was at this show:)

lukpac likes this.
  13. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

The version they do of "See Me, Feel Me" is right up there with it too. :righton:

funkydude, dee and pool_of_tears like this.
  14. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Indeed.

15. Boris number 9

Does anyone happen to know the earliest film or video of the WHO doing Boris the spider and/ or acid queen

16. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Charlton '74/Woodstock '69.

reb, WhoTapes1 and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

It's absolutely savage...it shows the best of the Who, how only three guys could make such a beautiful racket on stage. Heavy as all eff, too!

18. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Four on that song (Sparks), you can't dismiss the added percussion of Roger's dual tambourine attack!

19. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

What is the source for the Atlantic Woodstock album on SMFM mislabeled as WNGTI? The drums are far more audible there compared to both TKAA soundtracks 1979 and the 2003 DVD reissue.

Hoping the source Atlantic used is still around and contains the entire gig. Perhaps in Ed Kramers possession?

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Should be the same 8-track source, just mixed differently.

21. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Ok. Thanks. Makes sense. Figured the only sources for WS was the 8 track and maybe a few open air from the cameras, if they were miked.

22. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

50% off

pre-order

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0062396366?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

23. Boris number 9

I meant to order that today er yesterday. Thanks for the reminder and the link.

Any news on the box set?

24. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

I wonder of this official book means that the revised edition of Matt and Andy's AAA due to cover the entire career has been cancelled.......? An official book / history is pretty low on my list of wants after the disappointment of Pete's autobiography and the Amazing Journey Film.

25. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

According to Eddie Kramer, EVERYTHING at Woodstock was recorded with Shure 58's, which are - to put it mildly - not the best possible overhead microphones. Add to it, that Keith Moon wasn't the most easible recordable drummer in rock back then.

By the way, the recording was only done with seven tracks, as the eight one was for the film crew.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.