The Who - New Box Set for 2015?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marc with a c, Jun 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boris number 9

Boris number 9 Forum Resident

Ok I'll chill out. I just got very excited about the box set.

Mike Griffiths and marc with a c like this.
  2. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I consider myself a big Who fan, listening to them since I was a kid and owning a truckload of their CDs, LPs and 7" singles. And I am thrilled that we have gotten so much previously unreleased stuff in other reissue campaigns. But when we get down to the remnants being a song called "Ooh poo pa do", I get a little less excited about hearing every single note these guys ever recorded.

3. Boris number 9

Yeah I understand. Recently we had a discussion about a second documented session at Abbey Road in late 64 early 65 right before the Who garnered a record deal. Long story short. It seems they did 3-4 high quality Abbey Road recordings no one has ever heard. As I recall Ooh Pa do might be one of the songs mentioned.

I'm also grateful for all those previously unreleased tracks they gave us. But speculating... There are more good ones we'd enjoy I'm sure. When I heard career spanning box set. I thought yippee now's the time

izgoblin and dee like this.
  4. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

This blu disc could be a good one though. Amazon cancelled my order months ago.

5. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Absolutely no idea why anyone relies on thewho.com as any sort of directory for the band. Its nothing more than a t-shirt selling service.

You're as likely to find news on releases early on that forum as you are to find out that EU states are willing to share the UK's load on the migrant crisis.

Dave Hoos, DrBeatle and WhoTapes1 like this.
  6. Boris number 9

Oh really?really? Ouch

7. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

I find it interesting that the Track Singles box set is going to be released on October 30th (per Richard Evans). If the big career spanning box set is released in November, that would be a lot of money for all of the Who "completeists" to shell out at a very close time together. 15 singles to be included in the Track set.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    Quadboy likes this.
  8. dee

dee Senior Member

Ugh.

Tommyboy and WhoTapes1 like this.
  9. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

And companies selling product don't usually like to cannibalize their own sales by releasing two things (and in this case, two very expensive things!) so close together. Weird.

Quadboy and WhoTapes1 like this.
  10. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Agreed, it's got to be one of the worst official band sites & forums of any major band...

Dave Hoos and WhoTapes1 like this.
  11. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

That's gold, man.

[​IMG]

Quadboy and Terry like this.
  12. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The official 50th book has a scheduled release date of October 27 th.

Rocktober is Who month once again.

Quadboy and WhoTapes1 like this.
  13. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

At least for the Who fans that have lots of disposable income! lol!

dee likes this.
  14. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Which is a bit surprising considering Townshend really embraced the internet as a content and commerce (archival product) vehicle with his own PT website in the late-90's/early-00's. Like you said, The Who's site is basic commerce site for t-shirts and generic information.

misko, DrBeatle and WhoTapes1 like this.
  15. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

A night and day difference between the two sites, for sure! Pete's site was a pure delight!

16. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

and you're not even mentioning all the *unofficial* items you have a unquenchable thirst for!

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  17. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

I think that the problem was that, although Pete was right behind it and wanted to be involved in a big way, the time involved in doing so and remaining as accessible as it made him was just too much. (Perhaps that is, inherently, why Lifehouse was doomed from the start......)

Matt Kent did a wonderful job on that site and the place was pure joy to be in during The Boy Who Heard Music timeframe. Trinifold, though, couldn't run a piss up in a brewery hence outsourcing thewho.com to a t-shirt selling company who have little or no interest in informing or educating or even being anything like pro-active in terms of content.

Pete has washed his hands of the whole thing in my view to the extent that he doesn't even bother with his "diary" entries any longer.

18. Boris number 9

The webmaster at Whoville did in fact design several Who album covers. He does talk to the guys and I believe the box set is coming . The guy is credible. I think. He told me online absolutely this box Set is real. The other guy Bomber just told me that the people that know the box contents haven't been authorized to speak yet. But it's coming. Bomber Hurley is cool I trust him. And there aS all that White Fang bidness which I still don't understand. I think that was a red herring.

19. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

I always assumed this had more to do with his legal issues. They dried up in the years that followed.

20. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Not much different than the Stones website really. Official announcements usually come long after the release is already listed at Amazon or wherever, if at all. Especially archive stuff. Although they do a better job with the more high profile releases I guess, and presumably this new Who box would be roughly equivalent to Grrrr!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. misko

misko Forum Resident

The official website's community forum is all over the place and difficult to navigate with threads having sub categories of sub categories. I wish it was laid out more like the model here.

22. misko

misko Forum Resident

Are there examples of other bands having released a career expanding box and then releasing yet another down the line ? I can certainly understand a band releasing boxed material covering a 21 year span of music made subsequent to an initial release. In the case of The Who however, we are not hoping for a retrospective of tracks covering 1994-2015 only. Taking into consideration the many archival discs The Who have released since the first box, I am trying to wrap my head around just what this new box could contain that would make it packed with gems never heard before. Of course my hope would be for material I never knew existed.

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The Byrds. Chicago.

24. dee

dee Senior Member

Good points. It's true tht the box set has been 'advertised" via the BBC program and talked up by a few people privatelyband publicly who are either part of a project for the record label, married to the website, or have an in with the band. Which is not to say things dont get delayed or even cancelled or that part of the shroud of mystery surrounding its existence doesnt turn into a puff of noxious gas and black smoke.

I am hoping for a six disc set. I will be happy in a group of outcasts who actually want one of those discs to include items of interest from FD, IH, EW, and maybe other newer odds and ends, and Roger with new or old band takes on non Who main album Pete songs like Dance It Away or Empty Glass, and even moreso Scoop demos like The Shout, You're So Clever, There Is No Message In A Broken Heart, Holly Like Ivy, Commonwealth Boys, etc. as well as a handful of newer songs that Pete has not released on his own yet. Also as an example as much as anything, I Believe My Own Eyes could be seen by me as too theatrical but also languishing imo with a squirrely demo vocal and Browadway styled production number recording. All that stuff mentioned that only mostly hardcore fans are aware of could maybe see a wider audience, imo, in such an undertaking. I dont know. We all have different ideas about these kinds of things. Anyway, Roger is going to be trying to sing concerts during the next three months starting in less than 2 weeks so I imagine that will be the extent of any singing activities he is part of.

At the end of the day, its a little disappointing to me that Pete seems to get so hung up on what constitutes a Who song that in the process all these fine and commercial songs as demos - Get Inside, You Came Back, Things Have Changed, and some others that I have an affintity for, are largely relegated to curiosities. Sorry I got carried away with my own agenda of thoughts and ideas there. Its not the only one we Who fans have. Oh, that box set? Almost forgot. Be Lucky....

Jet Age Eric, misko and WhoTapes1 like this.
  25. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Not to mention The Small Faces, Elvis, The Monkees, Johnny Cash... the list goes on.

Matthew Tate and lukpac like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.