The Who: Odds and Sods deluxe remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maidenpriest, Jul 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Not when I'd spent 24 years listening to it the way Entwistle sequenced it.

2. edised

edised Forum Resident

Any chance you would make it available on line?

3. 1959

1959 Forum Resident

Yes, I did listen to that longer broadcast as well, although Nicky's show was called "Your Mother Wouldn't Like It", not "Rockpile". I used to listen to that show a lot in my bedroom, and then retuning to the BBC to hear the John Peel show. I have fond memories of being introduced to all sorts of unusual stuff by both, while pretending to do my school homework.

I seem to remember he played "Young Man Blues" as well as "Baba O'Riley" that night. I taped both shows myself, but I only had a cheap mono radio/recorder back then, so no stereo version for me. Man, I played that cassette to death.

I was also unable to understood why a stereo version never circulated. Incidentally, "I Can't Explain" and "5.15" were never aired at all. Everything else was.

Charlton in 1974 was my first concert and I am visible on my brother's shoulders on one of the highlights videos that the BBC broadcast on TV (they showed it twice, with different edits). For those in the US, the radio broadcast was NOT a BBC thing, but the TV programme was.

bobcat likes this.
  4. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

According the "Generations" Who fanzine and the "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" book, the Charlton '74 show WAS broadcast on a show called "Rockpile" on Capital Radio, hosted by Nicky Horne (while the Odds & Sods show was broadcast on "Your Mother Wouldn't Like It", also hosted by Nicky Horne). Also, in addition to "Can't Explain" and "5:15" being omitted from the fm stereo radio broadcast (due to them being poor versions), "Baba O'Riley" and the "Naked Eye/My Generation Blues" ending were also omitted, being exclusively held over for the BBC TV broadcast - this per the "Generations" fanzine (and my own radio tape). You are correct that "Young Man Blues" and "Baba" were aired on the Odds & Sods radio show. Fantastic that you were actually at the show and that you can be seen in the video presentation!

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Postcard, Now I'm a Farmer, Naked Eye, and Water were all recorded in 1970. They were first released in 1974 (except Water, which was first released in 1973), and the compilers of the 1998 O&S reissue apparently got the date of first release confused with the recording date when they arranged the chronology of that disc. Also, the Odds and Sods version of Postcard features new 1974 overdubs onto the original 1970 track (the bass is different and there are additional horns, IIRC).

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

I have a somewhat related question for the experts here: I remember reading *somewhere* (probably online) that there were actually two 1970s EPs that were planned and scrapped.

EP #1: The Seeker; Here for More; Heaven and Hell; Postcard
    EP #2: Naked Eye; Now I'm a Farmer; Water; I Don't Even Know Myself

Can anyone confirm or deny this? I've tried in vain to re-locate my original source for this info, but no luck so far. Thanks.

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. 1959

1959 Forum Resident

Well, you know, it was a very long time ago and my memory has always been a bit suspect, so I would imagine you're correct. I don't even remember Rockpile!

It's probably all a bit foggy because I managed to obtain a top audience tape quite soon after the show, direct from the taper, and that's the one I played most. His house was raided a month or two later by the BPI and his entire vinyl and tape collection, both legit and less so, was taken and never seen again.

8. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I find the whole 1970 EP situation somewhat confusing. I don't recall reading that there were two different EPs planned. That said, those two suggested EPs would have made one pretty cool full-length album.

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

My recollection is that it was supposed to be a double-EP. But I don't recall ever hearing anything about The Seeker, Heaven and Hell or Here for More being part of it... just the other five songs. Not sure how they would configure that.

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

There are several different variations of the 1970 EP tracklist, which makes me think it was never finalized. Much like Lifehouse.

11. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

This great thread just makes me want Pete & Co. to give this the deluxe treatment that much more. We're only missing a deluxe A Quick One before this. Imagine, finally all the non-LP Who tracks in one place.

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. DinsdaleP

DinsdaleP Senior Member

Remember the gaff where the doors we smashed?

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Double? I don't recall hearing that before. I'd have to check, but I thought it was always planned to have 4 tracks, with one of the 5 being left off.

I've never heard of those tracks being possibilities for the EP either, however, just the tracks recorded at Eel Pie.

14. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

15. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I guess we fans like to think that only fellow fans would be compiling works of our favorite bands, but clearly this is not the case. As such a Who fan, I could easily point out that "Postcard" and "Now I'm a Farmer" were recorded before 1971 simply by listening to the sound of Keith's drums!

Well there's another mystery revealed. Thanks for that. :)

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Exactly. By 1973 he couldn't drum like that anymore.

17. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Thanks for the link, which appears to be a (non-SACD) Japan SHM

Besides the version you linked to ("2011 DSD remaster based on the UK analog master") I see that another Japan SHM will be released 2/20/2013, and apparently the difference is it will not be the cardboard mini-LP. Per their description, the mastering/source will be the 1996 UK Polydor. And about $10 USD cheaper.
    If anyone knows whether the sources are different or not, and which - if any - sounds better, I'd be grateful.
    thanks!

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The new disc is apparently just a reissue of the 1998 CD, which was mostly remixed. The 2011 CD was a new mastering of the original mix, as well as some alternate mixes and versions for the bonus tracks. They are totally different animals.

Unless there's a change I'm not aware of, the only reason to get the new CD (as opposed to a stock copy from 1998) is collectibility.

RubenH and Hep Alien like this.
  19. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Ah, thank you Lukpac for the timely and detailed reply; good to know what to get/avoid.

20. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

To any and all Who experts:

Is the 2011 DSD remaster worth getting rather than the much cheaper UK domestic issue?

21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Arguably so, but keep in mind they are totally different entities. The 2011 issue uses the original mixes for the album itself (except possibly I'm The Face) and several different mixes (and sometimes versions) for the bonus tracks.

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

ok - many thanks for quick response!
    Many thanks for quick response!

23. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Eureka! Line makes sense for the first time in 40 years!

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  24. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I need to take a break from the SH forums for a while. I just opened this thread and ended up spending 30 bucks on this CD from CD Japan!

25. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.