The Who Quadrophenia Blu Ray Audio

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wbhendrix, May 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident Thread Starter

I did a search through the forum and it seems that there hasn't been a thread started for the upcoming release of the Quadrophenia Pure Audio Blu Ray release scheduled for June 10th, 2014.

Searching around online i couldnt find any other information either. Does anyone here know anything about this? My big question, will a 5.1 mix be included?

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/97405/The_Who-Quadrophenia-Blu-ray_Audio

[​IMG]

Blastproof likes this.
  2. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

3. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident Thread Starter

4. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

Tough call for me, I spent good money, 50 bucks on the SHM SACD and it sounds great. Surround mix would be a treat though!

5. Bill

Bill Senior Member

6. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

7. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I emailed Amazon a month ago and asked that it be corrected. Since then, [crickets].
    I'm not pre-ordering until they fix it. The live disc doesn't interest me.

8. eelkiller

Yeah, one of them is the Pure Audio studio disc, I am assuming the Superdeluxe site is correct but am not taking a chance.

9. power popper

power popper Forum Resident

Is this release a completed Bob Pridden mix? Pridden made the selected 5.1 mixes that were part of the Quadrophenia Director's Cut box, and I assume Pete had Bob complete the task. Pridden isn't mentioned in any of the above links as the engineer for this particular release.

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

FYI, there is another lengthy thread entitled "New live album by The Who" or something like that which had some discussion about the upcoming Quadrophenia bluray audio.

The thread degraded into the usual discussion about what live shows could or should released but there is some chatter - especially early in the thread -- about the bluray audio.

11. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

It seems weird that there is no pre-order link that is reliable on Amazon. The press release clearly stated that the 5.1 would be available on its own, but I've yet to find a link I trust for an order...

dee likes this.
  12. Even without 5.1, I'd be in. I bought the Getz/Gilberto blu-ray from these folks, and the sound is amazing. Can't wait for this one.

13. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Yeah, I've been very confused by this as well. It's curious that this isn't listed on Amazon yet, but I've preordered the Blu-Ray Audio listing anyway. I'll just cancel if it's never updated. Quadrophenia is one of my favorite albums so it would be nice to have it on Blu-Ray.

14. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Did anyone else notice the track listing on Acoustic Sounds only lists some of the tracks in 5.1?

15. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Not to get far off-topic, but I've passed on Getz/Gilberto because I read some negative reviews here. You have me intrigued.

16. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

This is confusing. I pre-ordered this a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JPUUPLA/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I assume it to be the Live in London disc, which is what I wanted when I placed the order. Searching "quadrophenia blu-ray", I find these two entries that both show the Live in London artwork:

http://www.amazon.com/Quadrophenia-Live-London-Blu-ray-Audio/dp/B00JPUUPLA/

http://www.amazon.com/Quadrophenia-Live-London-Blu-ray-Who/dp/B00JOWHT2C/

The first one is the one I pre-ordered. The second one, which is $4 and change cheaper, could be the standard album Blu-Ray disc. :shrug:

17. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Maybe they are using the same 5.1 tracks from the Super Deluxe edition, and nothing else?
    Those were terrible, by the way....

18. eelkiller

I know this is a wasted post but I included the superdeluxeedition link which says which one is the studio album and which is the live disc. Amazon has one listing wrong.

The one listed at the moment at $22.11 supposedly is the studio Blu-ray.

19. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

From what I heard, you get the exact same source that was used on the Director's Cut box set 5.1 disc, but you get the whole album this time.

20. The only negative posts I saw were complaining that there were three stereo mixes to choose from, but no 5.1. I listen mainly through headphones, so that's not an issue for me.

21. Graboid

Graboid Senior Member

Well, happily this is now confirmed from The Who's facebook page. The Pure Audio Blu-ray will contain the entire Quadrophenia studio album in 5:1, as well as the hi-res version of the original mix. I am so glad I waited for this and didn't throw my money away on the boxed set with 5 sample tracks in 5:1. Those ordering should note that the Amazon preorder shows the new Who Live in London cover by mistake. The link from The Who's facebook page takes you to the Amazon page with the wrong artwork. The facebook page does show the original cover art for the studio album, though.

22. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

23. GRC

GRC Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Isn't this going to be the blu ray audio only of the LP Quadrophenia? Just like the other ones - I have ordered a few but most are not 5.1 surround. This one will be 5.1 ?? Am I right or wrong, thanks. Becasue the London live stuff coming at the same time a lot of sites don't have this photo...??

24. Graboid

Graboid Senior Member

According to The Who facebook page, it includes the entire album in 5:1. The Amazon track list and cover photo are incorrect.

25. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I wonder if the original stereo mix on this will have the same mastering as the SHM-SACD. That would be nice.

sound chaser likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.